INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusrite or Presonus...decisions, decisions  (Read 10268 times)

rocksteady40

• Recent member
Focusrite or Presonus...decisions, decisions
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:58:14 am »

Hello All,

I'm just getting started with JRiver MC and am amazed at what it can do.  I'm looking to use it in a 3 way (plus 2 subs) active speaker system to provide crossover and equalization functions.  From what I've read, MC has everything needed to do this. 

My primary usage is 2 channel stereo but am planning on expanding to 5.1 surround for HT.  I'll probably use the computer/MC to drive the main speakers and a receiver for all the video and surround functions.  I'll be using a 2GHz i7 laptop with 6G of RAM running Win 7.

What I need now is an 8 channel DAC.  I've narrowed down the search to either the Focusrite 18i20 or the Presonus 1818VSL.  These two are nearly identical in features and specs. (at least for what I need), but would like some inputs from others as to any pros/cons of each when using them with MC. 

I'd hate the decision to come down to the major difference between the two… the location of the power switch  :)

Thanks in Advance,
Bob

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Focusrite or Presonus...decisions, decisions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:12:47 am »

Both myself and Matt run a Focusrite 18i20, and we're both happy with it. Don't know the other one, so can't draw up any comparisons.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rocksteady40

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:38:24 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. That's very encouraging that it works well for the both of you.  Good to know that an admin has one and is happy with it. I may go with the Focusrite then. 

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:13 am »

Just a question. How are you guys running this Focusrite unit? Are you sending an analogue signal to your pre or using the spdif? I have a 2i4 sitting in the cupboard that I use on stage and Ive been thinking about going an alternate 2 ch route from my HTPC rather than hdmi. I'm wondering if this would suffice but it has no spdif? Is it USB adaptive or asynchronous?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:59:32 am »

USB to the DAC and Analogue to a Power Amp. The whole point of a DAC is to turn the digital to analog, so using digital out from the Focusrite would rather defeat that purpose. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:14:46 am »

USB to the DAC and Analogue to a Power Amp. The whole point of a DAC is to turn the digital to analog, so using digital out from the Focusrite would rather defeat that purpose. :)

Yes fair enough, I thought maybe you could still go digital and use the usb clock part to reduce jitter. As per this article spdif has 5 to 10x less jitter than hdmi. http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/DigitalAudioJitter.html

So is it asynchronous. Also if you are going to analogue then into a pre- wouldn't the pre then need to convert back to Digital to do its internal processing?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:35:13 pm »

Obviously the DAC needs to be the last digital part in the chain, right before the analog amplifier.
Any home-theater style pre-processor is usually its own DAC, you can't really combine that with such a device, at least I wouldn't know how to.

Us that use such USB audio interfaces as DACs usually have any and all processing done in MC instead of using some hardware for that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:47:59 pm »

Sorry to hijack this thread, I dont really now how or where to start a new thread about this. I think I could use the pre/pro multi channel inputs and circumvent any internal processing allowing MC to do the processing instead. I'm just trying to work out how you guy are doing multi channel HT thru this device and whether or not its asynchronous.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:24:57 pm »

I think I could use the pre/pro multi channel inputs and circumvent any internal processing allowing MC to do the processing instead.

Yes, as long as your pre/pro has an option to defeat it's internal digital processing.  Even without the defeat feature, it will still work. You're just adding more digital processing, which *might* impact quality in some way.

I'm just trying to work out how you guy are doing multi channel HT thru this device and whether or not its asynchronous.

Most of the guys doing this, actually use MC as the preamp.  That is, they send a variable level signal directly to power amplifiers.  MC's volume control then becomes the volume control of the HT system.  No preamp, no pre-pro.  Just MC directly into power amps.

I don't know what you mean about asynchronous.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:44:37 pm »

I've got my Focusrite wired straight into an Emotiva UPA-7.  Here's a review:
http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/emotiva-upa-7

I do all the room correction and leveling with Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 07:24:31 pm »

Yes, as long as your pre/pro has an option to defeat it's internal digital processing.  Even without the defeat feature, it will still work. You're just adding more digital processing, which *might* impact quality in some way.

Most of the guys doing this, actually use MC as the preamp.  That is, they send a variable level signal directly to power amplifiers.  MC's volume control then becomes the volume control of the HT system.  No preamp, no pre-pro.  Just MC directly into power amps.

I don't know what you mean about asynchronous.

Brian.

Ok its starting to make more sense now thanks for that. I wouldn't wire straight in to an amp as that means I cant play vinyl or cds from other sources (PlayStation, cable box etc) to the same amp. Eg I need my pre pro to switch between sources to then send to power amps. But thats ok because my pre pro has the ability to defeat all signal processing on the multichannel analogue inputs. Ok that bits sorted.

So then how do you know what channels MC is assigning the multi channels of the decoded source material to the analogue outputs of your focusrite? Trial and error? Or can you assign them somewhere in the software (MC or Fousrite). I mean the focusrite wasn't designed for use with HT applications, so how do you know which channel is FL, FR, Center, sub etc. Sorry bit hazy on this part.

Asynchronous is the superior protocol of usb transfer to eliminate jitter see this article. http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/High%20Performance%20Audio%20Servers/High%20Resolution%20PC%20or%20Mac%20Music%20Servers.html

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 02:47:12 am »

But thats ok because my pre pro has the ability to defeat all signal processing on the multichannel analogue inputs. Ok that bits sorted.

Its probably still going to turn it into digital, even if no further processing is going to be performed. I doubt it has a 1:1 analog passthrough.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 03:02:51 am »

Its probably still going to turn it into digital, even if no further processing is going to be performed. I doubt it has a 1:1 analog passthrough.

Probably true as it still has the ability to redirect bass from the multi channel inputs to the LFE channel. Although its a rotel and I didn't think they were liars!

MrKleanWitHare

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:24 pm »

Focusrite.

Why?

Linux compatibility. +

I own both a Presonus and Focusrite DAC and while the specs are pretty similar (though neither are the models you're considering) the Focusrite appears to be better made. Mostly a matter of looks I suppose.

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 10:44:17 am »

It really depends on the piece of equipment.  My Anthem AVM-20 has an Analog Direct mode for every input, including the 5.1 analog input, which bypasses A/D conversion and all digital processing.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up