INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync library with iTunes  (Read 6666 times)

rar4010

• Recent member
Sync library with iTunes
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:03:08 am »

Hi All,

I'm thinking of trying Apple Music and the Music Match feature to be able to share musical interests with my daughter (I'll be pushing classic rock on her and she will be keeping me up to date on the pop scene). I assume it will use my iTunes library for that, which is not up to date since I use Media Center most of the time. I also read there was a 25,000 track limit so I need to do some prep work on my library.

Any recommendations on how to segregate (in Media Center) the songs that I don't want to match with iTunes and then keep in sync with iTunes? Would this be a good use of a separate library? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy 

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync library with iTunes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:18:47 am »

You might want to think about how you're going to get these songs in an out of Itunes.  You'll probably need to copy them from MC to Itunes directories to "push" your MC songs into itunes.  Then, you'll have to figure out a way of recognizing which songs are "new" from your daughter in itunes that you then want to copy back to MC.

The copy from MC to itunes won't be too bad.  Just mark your songs using the Keywords field.  You could do a keyword of "itunes", or if you want the negative then "no itunes".  Then build a smartlist that looks at the keywords.  Once you have your smartlist working, you can then use the Handheld Sync system to copy all of the songs in the smartlist over to the itunes directory and have itunes import them.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync

Note that Sync can use a directory as a target; it doesn't have to really be a handheld device.  Glynor does this with his large collection and it seems to work for him so...

Going the other direction, from itunes to MC, I'm not sure how you'll do that.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

rar4010

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts, Brian.
I just tried to point iTunes to the My Music folder that is managed by MC, not make another copy of all the music. That doesn't seem to be working...iTunes is not helping me. I also have a couple of hundred playlists to import to iTunes and have to do them one by one.

Further study...

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:28:07 am »

Personally I wouldn't let itunes and MC share the same media files.  One program, or the other, may make changes to the files' tags, which will be tricky to propagate to the other program.  If you make a change in itunes, do you want MC to see it?  Visa versa?  I would want them to each have their own playground and not interfere with each other at ALL.

For playlists, you can do File > Export All Playlists.  It will copy them all (as M3U files) to <your Library directory>/Playlists .

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:42:51 am »

There should be no problem caused by JRiver importing the same files as iTunes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up