INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie question about shuffle modes in Now Playing  (Read 2555 times)

iandennis

Newbie question about shuffle modes in Now Playing
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:17:19 am »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help?
I want to dump a list of tracks into Now Playing and then have them play randomly, i.e. every time a track finishes I want it to choose another form the list at random (or even the same one).
So I dump the list into NP, and start playing...
The tracks play in dump order, and then repeat in the same order as before continuously.
So I select shuffle ON...
The tracks still repeat in the order they first played.
So I select shuffle AUTOMATIC...
The tracks still repeat in the order they first played.
I can do a manual reshuffle at the end of each pass through the list, but I don't want to have to do that.
What am I missing?
Thanks!
Ian

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Newbie question about shuffle modes in Now Playing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:23:24 am »

I can do a manual reshuffle at the end of each pass through the list, but I don't want to have to do that.
What am I missing?

You'll have to reshuffle for the second pass through the list.  We shuffle one time at insert and then stop the shuffling.

Ctrl+R is the shortcut.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

iandennis

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:26 am »

Hi Matt
Thanks for your very prompt response.  Just to be sure I'm understanding: there is no way to play tracks randomly from a list without repeated manual intervention?
Thanks
Ian

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 10:33:51 am »

Hi Matt
Thanks for your very prompt response.  Just to be sure I'm understanding: there is no way to play tracks randomly from a list without repeated manual intervention?
Thanks
Ian

It'll play shuffled the first time through, but will use the same shuffling on the second and third pass.

So you'll need to Ctrl+R on each pass if that's a problem.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:39:10 am »

This is sort of an unusual request; it's not all that normal for someone to want to hear the same songs over and over again but in a different order.

How long would you want this to continue?  Is this for a specific purpose, or is this just how you like to listen to music?

If you were to say, for example, that you wanted to hear music for 3 hours or 4 hours like this, then you can definitely do this.  Here's one way:

1.  Add your songs to a playlist.
2.  Add the same songs to the playlist again.
3.  Look at the total time.  Do you have enough time yet?  If not, go to step 2.
4.  When you have enough total time, Press Reshuffle to randomize the entire list.
5.  Add it to Playing Now and play it.

You can make arbitrarily long playlists.  You could put 10,000 songs in a playlist if you wanted and randomize the whole thing.  10,000 songs would be about 3 weeks of continuous play, assuming roughly 3 minutes per song.  This is kind of a silly example, but I think you get the point.  Just make the playlist longer for longer play times.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:52 am »

I'm going to try changing this next build.

From the history:
Changed: If shuffle mode is enabled, when the current playlist completes it will reshuffle before continuing.

iandennis

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 11:36:36 am »

Wow thanks! That would be great for me, but I can see that it's an unusual request.  I need this functionality for testing audio devices in development (I don't do it purely for pleasure!).  So (for example) I might fill NP with short clips of audio in all sorts of different formats (e.g. DSD64, 384k/24, 44k1/16, DSD128 etc. etc.) and then leave it randomly transitioning between formats (with all your elegant xfades, delays  etc. disabled) in order to notice if any don't transition nicely.
All the best
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up