INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does JRiver have any plans to bring Theater View to the Mac Version?  (Read 5025 times)

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck

Does JRiver have any plans to bring Theater View to the Mac Version? I know I’m not the only Mac user who wants this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Does JRiver have any plans to bring Theater View to the Mac Version?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:43:43 am »

Does JRiver have any plans to bring Theater View to the Mac Version? I know I’m not the only Mac user who wants this.
Eventually.  I can't say when.

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:14 am »

Thank you. As long as it’s in the plan for the future.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:23 am »

I've used a lot of computer platforms in my professional career and for my personal use.  I'd like to think I've seen more than most people.  Right now, I'm on board with Mac for my personal use for various reasons.  The Mac version of MC is why I've become an MC enthusiast and evangelist.  It's really an outstanding platform, but it would have been really difficult to convince me to try it if it only ran on Windows.

There are two or three features on the Windows version that I'm interested in.  The big one is Theater View.  But Theater View is also integrated with the Windows playback engine (MADvr/Red October/something else?).  I honestly don't know all of the details, but the processing and options are more far reaching on the Windows version.  I'm considering *maybe* firing up a windows machine to try as a home theater machine because of Theater View and the windows video engine(s).  But I'm not all the way there yet.

If those two things ran well on a Mac, I wouldn't even consider building a windows machine.  I'd get a Mac mini, or perhaps a laptop and use that for home theater duty.  Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the windows video engine(s) will never be ported as they are third party tools that are integrated into MC for Windows.  Instead, the Mac video support will probably incrementally get better and better.  Adding more and more of the features that are in the Windows version until they do most of the same things.  But they probably won't ever be the same.

I also understand that Theater View is based on Direct3D (or something similar), which will probably never be ported to Mac, so again, a direct Theater View port is unlikely.  It would have to be written from the ground up to emulate the look and feel of the Windows version of Theater View.

So I'd REALLY love to see this.  But I don't expect to see it any time soon.  But I'd love it.  :)

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:01 pm »

The big one is Theater View.  But Theater View is also integrated with the Windows playback engine (MADvr/Red October/something else?). 

No. The video playback engine is independent.

I also understand that Theater View is based on Direct3D (or something similar), which will probably never be ported to Mac, so again, a direct Theater View port is unlikely.  It would have to be written from the ground up to emulate the look and feel of the Windows version of Theater View.

Correct. Theater View is a Direct3D application and cannot be (easily) ported to OSX or Linux.

I believe, but do not speak for JRiver, that the long-term plan is to replace the current Direct3D-based Theater View application with one that is completely cross platform. This would apply to both Windows and the other platforms.

But, that's really Hendrik-et-all's thing and I'm somewhat speaking out of turn.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:50:48 pm »

This topic should have a sticky. It keeps coming up. I've brought it up a couple of times over the past couple of years. I remain ever hopeful.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

heywally

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 07:16:25 pm »

"Casting my vote" for this as I happily leave all things Windows far, far behind and am never coming back to it.

Still have my JRiver software on a Windows machine but only because I can't justify the cost of replacing the hardware with a MAC mini (yet).

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:19:48 am »

The big one is Theater View. 
I'd get a Mac mini, or perhaps a laptop and use that for home theater duty.  Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the windows video engine(s) will never be ported as they are third party tools that are integrated into MC for Windows
Brian.

Get the mini anyway and run Bootcamp and MC for Mac. That is what I do and it allows me every now and then to switch to OSX to see how much MC for Mac has improved (a great deal) and then switch back to Windows for Theatre View.
Pages: [1]   Go Up