INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line input  (Read 2323 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Line input
« on: February 26, 2016, 03:43:00 pm »

I've done a little research and the threads I found were rather old.  So I'm not sure what the state of the art is on this.

Can MC do line input from a device that has both outputs and inputs?  Specifically, line in, and then back out to one or more outputs on the same device.

Can line input be routed to several linked zones?

Can line input be selected from JRemote, Gizmo, or EOS?

Anything else I should be aware of with this feature?

Thanks!

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Line input
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 03:42:56 pm »

I've done a little research and the threads I found were rather old.  So I'm not sure what the state of the art is on this.

Can MC do line input from a device that has both outputs and inputs?  Specifically, line in, and then back out to one or more outputs on the same device.
You can use the Steinberg multi-client ASIO driver to setup the output and input routing. The MOTU audio devices, which I use, are also multi-client and work perfectly out of the box for routing audio in/out to JRiver. You can even route to multiple outputs and use any of the outputs for separate zones. Lynx Studios also has a multi-client driver for the Lynx Hilo, but is more expensive and doesn't work as well for home audio as the MOTU audio devices.

Can line input be routed to several linked zones?

Can line input be selected from JRemote, Gizmo, or EOS?
Since Open Live > ASIO has a Name of ASIO and a Filename of live://asio, you can use it to create a Playlist or utilize it for ZoneLink rules. The easiest thing is to create a playlist called Line In and then open that playlist in any of the apps or any of the Zones.

Anything else I should be aware of with this feature?
An audio device can only work at one sample rate. Therefore, you need to set all Zones to resample to a single sample rate and set the Line In to use the same sample rate. I currently use 96 kHz for everything.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:49:11 pm »

My current use for this, is for my friend's system that I'm helping him with.  One of his wishlist items is to be able to do something like this:

Play a sports event on the TV in his living room, with the audio playing through his main 5.1 system.  Then, route that same audio to other zones in the house, outside, etc.  Since most sports are going to come in via external tuners (OTA, Cable, etc), I was thinking Line In was the only real solution.

Can line in work from a separate sound card?  Like a built in RealTek card?  (yeah, I know they are not respected at all, but there's one onboard, so I'm asking).  Otherwise, I'm guessing that something like the Asus U7 won't work for both input and output at the same time, right?  The MOTU stuff looks nice, but I think it's out of the budget range unfortunately.

Thanks for the response!

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »

It should work from a separate sound card. Most only have stereo input, though.

I think you can only route the Line In to one Zone at a time. However, you can be creative with Zones. For example, you might have Kitchen using output 1, Deck using Output 2, Living Room using Output 3, K-D using outputs 1 & 2, D-L using outputs 2-3, and K-D-L using outputs 1-3. This lets one select a Zone for playback that includes as few or as many "zones." Instead of linking the Zones in Eos, you would just playback in a Zone that includes all required outputs.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »

Hmm,that's odd.  So I couldn't play Line In in Kitchen and then link Kitchen and Patio?  Making those hybrid zones, as you describe (and mwilliems in another thread) is very creative and not too hard to do.  But trying to train my friend to manage those might be challenging.

I'll have to think on this some more and maybe set up an experiment... though I don't think he has any other sound cards right now, so that might have to wait until he buys one.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up