INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does MC21 NOT update thumbnails when image file is added/refreshed?  (Read 3654 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

I have been updating a lot of my album art and have noticed a very annoying trend within the latest version of MC. Firstly - ALL files in the library are FLAC. All files have art embedded within each file.

The issue I am seeing  - looks like this:

I updated the artwork on this album just 10 days ago with a nice new 1000x1000 image. Yet MC is reporting the new item in just 3 of the files. It reports an old 500x500 in one file and a half dozen files have nothing at all.

For the record - when I update artwork - I do the exact some process each time:

1. Highlight ALL files for each album
2. Right click and choose Remove Cover Art for ALL files
3. Right click and choose Add from file for ALL files
4. Watch MC add art for all files
5. Assume that all files got the new image
6. And never really thought about it but assumed that the Image Height/Width (and thumbnail) were part of this operation - but clearly they are not.

If 6 is true - is there a reason that the thumbnail and Image Height/Width metadata is not refreshed after an embedded image change?

Do thumbnails operate on a different level with respect to the embedded image file? Do the image height/width metadata have nothing to do with the embedded file?

Am I doing something wrong that could be done better with respect to getting fresh art in place AND ensuring thumbnails and metadata are correct the first time?

Appreciate any comments on this as I have discovered 10000+ files that have this problem.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

The image dimensions get updated when the thumbnail is generated.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

Let me see if I have this straight:

You change Album art on an album, and all of the art is saved.  At some point later, you look at the album thumbnail (in Albums view for example) and MC generates a thumbnail.  But it probably only generates the thumbnail for the first file right?  Which explains why so many of these albums will have one or two entries populated (as in VP's screen shot), with the rest blank.

In order for the rest to get populated, you need to run "rebuild thumbnail" on all of the songs in the album.  Or run the build "build all missing thumbnails" from Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails .

This would explain some weird behavior I've seen in the past before I bulk-built thumbnails in my whole library.

Brian.

Vocalpoint

The image dimensions get updated when the thumbnail is generated.

Cool. So this has nothing to do with adding album art?

Since I realized this behavior - I had to watch MC take over an hour to update 14000+ missing or weird thumbnails.

What is the recommended process to ensure my thumbnails are as fresh as possible? Do I need to add an additional step in my process to update thumbnails everytime I update album art?

Would be nice if this was a single process.

I cannot think of a reason why anyone would not want a refreshed thumbnail (and clean image height/width metadata) when refreshing that actual cover art file.

Thoughts?

VP

Vocalpoint

In order for the rest to get populated, you need to run "rebuild thumbnail" on all of the songs in the album.  Or run the build "build all missing thumbnails" from Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails .

Understood - but a bit drastic (and untrustworthy)

I tried a global refresh a few days ago on the entire library and MC crashed somewhere in the middle of "refreshing" 50000 thumbnails. I received no info on what happened or where it stumbled...just frozen thumbnail dialog and a hard reset. Leaving my library in who knows what state....

This thumbnail refresh should be more robust or ideally - should occur at least when embedded album art is changed?

VP

blgentry

What is the recommended process to ensure my thumbnails are as fresh as possible? Do I need to add an additional step in my process to update thumbnails everytime I update album art?

I think you're asking Matt (or another knowledgeable JRiver person).  I'd like to hear their answer too.  :)

But I think the answer is that you need to manually update the thumbnails when you change album art.  I'm not sure if I was clear above though:  You only need to do this for the album you just added or changed art on.  <highlight files><right click> Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail .

Brian.

Vocalpoint

You only need to do this for the album you just added or changed art on.  <highlight files><right click> Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail .

Understood. But it seems now I need to remember to do this every single time I change art on any album. That's a whole lotta extra "stuff" if one is changing hundreds or thousdands of covers.

Logically - I thought at least - that MC's image metadata (Image Height and Length) would be automatically updated when I embed a new image for the cover art. I do not understand why this (Add Cover Art process) seemingly has no connection to the Image Height/Width metadata - which then logically leads right into thumbnail creation.

Would be nice if:

1. User highlights album (or a bunch of files) and clicks Remove Cover Art - MC instantly updates Image Height/Width to 0 in ALL files AND delete existing thumbnails for all files instantly.
2. User highlights album and clicks Add From File (with no embedded image present in selected files) MC should instantly update Image Height/Width to that of incoming cover art file AND should instantly generate new thumbnail for all files.
3. User highlights album and clicks Add From File (with existing embedded image present) MC should instantly update Image Height/Width to that of incoming cover art file AND should instantly generate new thumbnail for all files.

Having to do this in two separate processes clearly has it's reasons but is a bit of a pain.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Next build will have this little tweak:
Changed: Removing cover art from items will reset the height and width fields.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

what about those options in tree & view...Thumbnails

I have 'Thumbnail creation threading' set to high...and have not seen the issue as op....

I am also in the process of updating my cover art....just saying
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Vocalpoint

Next build will have this little tweak:
Changed: Removing cover art from items will reset the height and width fields.

Awesome! Thanks Matt.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up