INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why two different places to define Gizmo views and DLNA server views ?  (Read 2460 times)

krmasson

• World Citizen

Hello there,

when browsing/playing my music managed by MC, I use a DLNA client (and JRiver as DLNA server) or WebGizmo, depending on the device/computer I am using. And each time I customize the views Gizmo/WebGizmo uses, I have to make a similar change in the settings for DLNA server.

So I was wondering: why not share the same views for (Web-)Gizmo and DLNA server ?

Regards.

CM

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

So I was wondering: why not share the same views for (Web-)Gizmo and DLNA server ?

Regards.

CM
this is a MAJOR feature request :) I have to admit right now you must set up three separate views ... one for your Standard View, One for Theater mode views and one for remote views. As for the why ... well each mode can't do everything that the other modes do or do it differently.

I think this can't be totally avoided as you do not have things like "rollers" in Standard mode, you can't have a panes view in theater or remote "modes" etc. BUT setting up initially these views, then having a mechanism to update the other "modes" I think should be on the agenda. But I think this would entail a lot of code and probably a major UI overhaul. Better ways to "share" corresponding views for all three would also be very cool.

At present though, if you are not aware, a little tip: modify/create your views in standard mode first. Then use the import function from the the other 2 areas in options, you will have to tweak some of the options inherent to the mode itself (like Display All, the order of the view itself). Standard Views can also be saved and copied to other machines or shared to friends; unfortunately remote and theater mode views cannot  :'(

krmasson

• World Citizen

At present though, if you are not aware, a little tip: modify/create your views in standard mode first. Then use the import function from the the other 2 areas in options
Yes I am aware of the tip, and I used it when setting up views for the first time. But then, I still have to propagate my further changes in my other 2 views. Keeping a reference between original view and copy, in order to propagate changes, more ore less automatically, would indeed be a good idea.

I totally agree that different views for different devices/usages are usually organized differently (one large flat view on my main computer, with a ruler of shortcut letters,  but albums grouped by [a-c] [d-f]... on smaller devices). But both remote views (Gizmo and DLNA) are intended to be used on the same kind of devices, with similar usages: IMHO it would make sense to combine them; and I was asking only for these two views.

Regards.
CM
Pages: [1]   Go Up