INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed JRiver. Crashes within 10 seconds or launching. Repeatedly.  (Read 6838 times)

Agent86

• Recent member

I have MyMovies on a Windows HTPC. I thought I would try JRiver on my Mac to see if it is an alternative to MyMovies before installing on the HTPC.

Install on Mac goes OK. Within 10 seconds of launch on Macbook Pro, JRiver crashes. Repeatedly.

Not a great start! Log attached.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Installed JRiver. Crashes within 10 seconds or launching. Repeatedly.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:43:08 am »

Try this build of MC.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103674.0

Try turning off Media Network in Options.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:56:04 am »

Your log file only has "system info.txt" inside.  It's supposed to have Log and Previous Log.  Previous Log is the important part.

Logging is a little different in JRiver.  First enable logging.  Then make the crash happen.  Finally, reopen JRiver and do "report problem" from the logging screen.

Jim's suggestion is good; update to the latest MC first.

Good luck.

Brian.

Agent86

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:49:32 pm »

I was already running that version. Media Network isn't enabled. Note that I had to check real fast before it crashed.

I enabled logging before it crashed. Crash.
Reopened. Crashed.
Reopened, manage to "Report Problem" before it crashed.
Did this again.

Hopefully the log files attached are some help.

This is a repeatable, catastrophic crash. Almost no time to do anything before it crashes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 06:35:08 am »

Try turning off auto import.  Tools > Import.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:29:01 am »

MC seems to be crashing when it hits one or more of your video files that it is trying to import.  The one that's crashing it repeatedly appears to be:

/Users/laurenwhitaker/FrostWire/Torrent Data/The Intern 2015/The Intern 2015 1080p.wmv

Try moving that file to another directory where MC will NOT try to import it.  Then launch MC.  As Jim said, turning off auto import might be smart too, while you're getting started:

Tools > Options > Libraries & Folders > run auto import in background > (uncheck)

If you have many, many videos from umm... "various sources", you may find that you have 5, 6, 10, or more videos that will crash MC.  Hopefully this will be the only one for now.  If not, post a log again as you just did and we will try to help you.

Oh and it's not good to have MC trying to auto import from directories where video files are being written.  You should be downloading or ripping videos to one or more outside folders.  Then, once the video is *totally* complete, you move the video to a monitored folder where MC can then import it.  MC wants to analyze the video when it does import, and it can't properly analyze a video that's only 10% complete (or even 90% complete for that matter).

Good luck.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:34:58 am »

Oh and it's not good to have MC trying to auto import from directories where video files are being written.  You should be downloading or ripping videos to one or more outside folders.  Then, once the video is *totally* complete, you move the video to a monitored folder where MC can then import it.  MC wants to analyze the video when it does import, and it can't properly analyze a video that's only 10% complete (or even 90% complete for that matter).

This is a good rule of thumb, but not necessarily required depending on the program doing the writing.  Programs that write to one file and keep it open the entire time generally don't create problems (IME).  Programs that write chunks and then combine them do create problems.  For example, I've been using makemkv to create files in a watched directory for years with no problems (MC just waits until MakeMKV closes the file to import it), but certain downloaders will create issues every time.

It's safer to follow Brian's good advice especially until you've stopped the crashes, but once you have things working you can test what's breaking your workflow.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:35 am »

For extra credit, would you be willing to email me a copy of this file:
/Users/laurenwhitaker/FrostWire/Torrent Data/The Intern 2015/The Intern 2015 1080p.wmv

I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Clearly it's causing the import process to tank and I'd love to have it to look into.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Agent86

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 02:58:22 am »

Disabled auto import. All good now.

The intern.wmv is actually an mp4 file with the extension changed to wmv to enable it to play within Windows Media Centre, which being an older version, won't play mp4s. Renaming it back to mp4 allows it to be imported into JRiver OK.

I copied a few folders across from my media centre to trial JRiver with the view to perhaps moving away from MyMovies.

Obviously JRiver won't hand files with extensions that don't strictly match the content, which is probably understandable.

Thanks for the help everyone.

RolandG

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 03:19:06 am »

The intern.wmv is actually an mp4 file with the extension changed to wmv to enable it to play within Windows Media Centre, which being an older version, won't play mp4s.

How can that work? Aren't they completely different file types? I'm not aware that one can convert the format by simply changing the file name extension.

Agent86

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 03:38:09 am »

Well today you learned something... If you download or create an mp4 or m4v file and rename it just by changing the extension to wmv, then windows media player and WMC will play it, even though they won't play the original file (on Vista anyway).

Tis a cool work-around. On my system at least.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 06:19:26 am »

Well today you learned something... If you download or create an mp4 or m4v file and rename it just by changing the extension to wmv, then windows media player and WMC will play it, even though they won't play the original file (on Vista anyway).
Unless the files were WMV to begin with.

MP4 is a protected file type by Apple.  It isn't going to play in WMP by renaming it, unless it was something else in the beginning.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 09:36:25 am »

This discussion about changing file extensions for WMP to play them is just bizarre...

MP4 is a protected file type by Apple.  It isn't going to play in WMP by renaming it, unless it was something else in the beginning.

These file extensions with Apple can get confusing.  The above is incorrect, but it's an easy mistake to make.

MP4:  Mpeg4 file. Can be video or audio, but generally video.
M4A:  Mpeg4 file with audio. Apple's naming convention.
M4P:  Mpeg4 file with audio and DRM.  Apple's naming convention again.

So MP4 == video from lots of sources.  M4P == Apple's DRM audio files.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up