INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 Linux on HDMI audio on Intel NUC DN2820FYKH  (Read 6746 times)

davidw55

• Recent member
MC 21 Linux on HDMI audio on Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »

Hi

I've been using MC 19,20 and now 21 on Windows for a long time .. very happy but I was looking for a smaller OS and I thought that I'd try out MC 21 on Linux.

I'm using a NUC DN2820FYKH which I believe is the same hardware as your Id.  Windows MC runs perfectly on it, rendering 96/24 or 192/24 audio out through its HDMI port headless.

MC 21 for Linux (on Ubuntu 15.09 in my case) worked only after I added an alsa modprobe  (i.e. put "options snd_hda_intel index=0" in /etc/modprobe.d).  Once I did this I could send audio to a HDMI receiver ... for a few minutes.

However, intermittently the sound will just stop ... MC seems to know nothing about this and continues reporting progress on the track. The only way I've found to restore sound is to reboot the NUC.

To be clear, Windows 10 and MC 21 on this same hardware works perfectly.

I know Ubuntu isn't supported so I'll try Debian and report back.

Is anyone out there using a NUC (not JRiver ID)  with MC Linux and HDMI audio ?  Just curious

Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 21 Linux on HDMI audio on Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:31 am »

This is from memory, but I believe some of the BIOS's had problems with HDMI.  Some worked.  Try updating the firmware.

TADman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:35:58 am »

I using a Nuc5I5RYK and have no problem with audio over HDMI. I am running Linux Mint 17.3.
NUCs, PI3, Asus U7s
Hypex NC400s
eXclusive 2401 speaks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:03:08 pm »

What device are you choosing from MC's audio configuration?

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:04:02 pm »

I was selecting hdmi: as the audio device, which worked for a while.  I tried others like hd: ... they never worked at all.

I found the cause :  Ubuntu was turning the display off after, what it saw as, 5 mins of inactivity. Of course, on the NUC, the display port is HDMI which is also the audio port (unless you're using a USB DAC).

I suppose that's a hazard of using a desktop OS.  Once I instructed Ubuntu to leave the display alone, the audio worked and continued working.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:45:22 am »

I was selecting hdmi: as the audio device, which worked for a while.  I tried others like hd: ... they never worked at all.

I found the cause :  Ubuntu was turning the display off after, what it saw as, 5 mins of inactivity. Of course, on the NUC, the display port is HDMI which is also the audio port (unless you're using a USB DAC).

I suppose that's a hazard of using a desktop OS.  Once I instructed Ubuntu to leave the display alone, the audio worked and continued working.

In MC's audio settings there is an option called: Disable Display from Turning Off (useful for hdmi audio)
if you turn this on, the display won't go off as long as MC is playing.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:06 am »

In MC's audio settings there is an option called: Disable Display from Turning Off (useful for hdmi audio)
if you turn this on, the display won't go off as long as MC is playing.

Bob is that setting working on Linux now?  Last I heard we were in limbo on any system running systemd/logind (which is most distros): https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99466.0

It hasn't worked on any of my systems when I tested (including a Debian Jessie/Gnome machine), but it's been several months since I tried.

If it's fixed that's great news, I can turn auto-sleep back on on my Linux boxes!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »

Bob is that setting working on Linux now?  Last I heard we were in limbo on any system running systemd/logind (which is most distros): https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99466.0

It hasn't worked on any of my systems when I tested (including a Debian Jessie/Gnome machine), but it's been several months since I tried.

If it's fixed that's great news, I can turn auto-sleep back on on my Linux boxes!

It has nothing to do with system sleep. It just keeps the monitor from sleeping which can be done with a generic call.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:29 pm »

It has nothing to do with system sleep. It just keeps the monitor from sleeping which can be done with a generic call.

The referenced setting didn't work at all for me on Linux last time I tested it (the setting inhibited neither screen turn off, nor system sleep).  Which made sense to me at the time because the screen on/off functionality is wrapped up in the power management functions of logind (at least it is on Gnome/Cinnamon).  

But you're saying that the setting currently prevents screen turn off on the supported distro (Debian Jessie)?  Is there a recommended DE or DEs? I don't have a vanilla debian workstation (other than some pi's) up right now so I can't conveniently test myself. When I last tested on Debian with Gnome the setting had no effect on either the screen or suspend.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »

The referenced setting didn't work at all for me on Linux last time I tested it (the setting inhibited neither screen turn off, nor system sleep).  Which made sense to me at the time because the screen on/off functionality is wrapped up in the power management functions of logind (at least it is on Gnome/Cinnamon).  

But you're saying that the setting currently prevents screen turn off on the supported distro (Debian Jessie)?  Is there a recommended DE or DEs? I don't have a vanilla debian workstation (other than some pi's) up right now so I can't conveniently test myself. When I last tested on Debian with Gnome the setting had no effect on either the screen or suspend.
Works fine on my home system and all of the Id's

It's using xset.

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 11:13:14 am »

Just letting readers know that my original problem is solved.

The solution for me was to configure Linux (for me that's Ubuntu, Mint and Debian) to not "sleep" the NUC's HDMI display.

I'm using Mediacenter 21 Linux and the MC audio option that Bob mentioned (i.e. Disable Display from Turning Off) is indeed there but I haven't tested it.  That should also prevent the problem I saw.

Thanks to everyone
Pages: [1]   Go Up