INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 Freezing up and unable to shut it down  (Read 4344 times)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
MC 21 Freezing up and unable to shut it down
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:36:35 am »

I have MC 21 with Windows 7 and for whatever reason every once in a while it will freeze up and it will not shut down. To end the program I have to either go to Task Manager to "end process" or if that doesn't work reboot the computer. Never had any issues with MC 20. I think I have the latest build and will check to see and will post what version of MC 21 I have when I get it unfrozen. I am using Kaspersky AV. Thanks in advance for any solutions.
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 21 Freezing up and unable to shut it down
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:54:01 am »

Hi if this persists you really should post your log after a crash/freeze like that. Almost impossible to guess what could cause this otherwise.

If you don't know how to do this here you go => https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging Make sure you have the most recent version installed, not what is called the "stable" build which you might have installed so everyone ison the same page to help you. Check to see that all of your drivers are up to date especially Video drivers (even if you are only using audio for playback) and any drivers you might be using for your dac before posting the log. Often drivers are responsible

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:48:10 am »

Please uninstall the AV to test.  Disabling it may not be enough.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »

My build is 21.0.50, it appears that is the most recent?
I checked all my drivers they are all up to date.
I will uninstall Kaspersky and try to reproduce the issue.
Thanks

Log attached
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:00:01 pm »

There is a more recent build at the top of this board.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »

Ok, I installed 21.0.66
Thanks.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »

I am  curious if anything deleterious showed up in my log. Would someone be able to decipher it?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 03:14:38 am »

I am  curious if anything deleterious showed up in my log. Would someone be able to decipher it?
Hi

Sorry I'm not a real expert on logs and haven't the time to go through it totally. But it appears that you have a loop going on with an Amazon lookup. A duke Ellington record?? You also have a bunch of podcasts that are trying to update themselves, but they are not causing the freeze.

I'd clear the request or temporarily disable Amazon under Services=>Stores shown in the Tree too see if my guess is right. You can re-enable ti later. Warning you though I'm just fishing ... :) worse case I bump your post  ;)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:42:53 am »

Hi

Sorry I'm not a real expert on logs and haven't the time to go through it totally. But it appears that you have a loop going on with an Amazon lookup. A duke Ellington record?? You also have a bunch of podcasts that are trying to update themselves, but they are not causing the freeze.

I'd clear the request or temporarily disable Amazon under Services=>Stores shown in the Tree too see if my guess is right. You can re-enable ti later. Warning you though I'm just fishing ... :) worse case I bump your post  ;)

Ok, I do not even use podcasts, I'll try to disable them? As for Amazon, not sure what that is. I do not use an Amazon app and the only Amazon I use is when I go to the web page, (which I do a lot :-). So not sure how to:
clear the request or temporarily disable Amazon under Services=>Stores shown in the Tree
But thanks for the bump ;)

After updating to 21.0.66 MC has crashed a couple of times, that is, it shut itself down. But has not locked up or gone unresponsive, to the point of not being able to shut it down manually.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:12 am »

@Blueshound the amazon I'm referring to is not an app per se it is a feature in JRiver itself. Why its looking up a Duke Ellington album I don't know. I told you how to disable this. Open Options then as I said Services=>"Stores Shown in the Tree" and uncheck "Amazon". Of course this might not have anything do do with it :D

If you don't use podcasts you can turn them off too, btw. Just type in te search box of the Opitions window. Its a good way to find stuff as there are so many options and configurations possible in JRiver

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:29:45 pm »

@Blueshound the amazon I'm referring to is not an app per se it is a feature in JRiver itself. Why its looking up a Duke Ellington album I don't know. I told you how to disable this. Open Options then as I said Services=>"Stores Shown in the Tree" and uncheck "Amazon". Of course this might not have anything do do with it :D

If you don't use podcasts you can turn them off too, btw. Just type in te search box of the Opitions window. Its a good way to find stuff as there are so many options and configurations possible in JRiver

:-[ face palm. Ok, I disabled Amazon via Services, and right clicked on podcasts in the tree and disabled auto download as well. Thanks for the search box in the Options window tip!
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:38:32 pm »

:-[ face palm. Ok, I disabled Amazon via Services, and right clicked on podcasts in the tree and disabled auto download as well. Thanks for the search box in the Options window tip!
not to worry its not obvious at all  :) Hope this sorts you out. You shoudl trunoff the logging feature if this is all it was. The log file can get pretty big after awhile.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:41 pm »

not to worry its not obvious at all  :) Hope this sorts you out. You shoudl trunoff the logging feature if this is all it was. The log file can get pretty big after awhile.

Thanks!
The logging must have been on by default? I don't think I have ever turned it on?
Shouldn't it be left on in case something undesirable happens so there would be a record of it to diagnose?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 03:29:45 am »

Thanks!
The logging must have been on by default? I don't think I have ever turned it on?
Shouldn't it be left on in case something undesirable happens so there would be a record of it to diagnose?
not sure if it on by default actually :)

but the log can get really long (the size is not a real issue as much), just makes it easier to isolate the issues when trying to read them, IMO. Most glitches in MC have to do with drivers being out of date, or AVs not allowing an update to complete (once it has been set up and running well that is). Crashes are rare, but freezes where you have to wait on the program can happen for a lot of reasons unrelated to JRiver - network issues etc. I keep it off. If I have a problem and it recurs more than once, then its time to turn it on and try to provoke the problem by repeating what you just did when it crashed/freezed.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 04:52:16 am »

not sure if it on by default actually :)

but the log can get really long (the size is not a real issue as much), just makes it easier to isolate the issues when trying to read them, IMO. Most glitches in MC have to do with drivers being out of date, or AVs not allowing an update to complete (once it has been set up and running well that is). Crashes are rare, but freezes where you have to wait on the program can happen for a lot of reasons unrelated to JRiver - network issues etc. I keep it off. If I have a problem and it recurs more than once, then its time to turn it on and try to provoke the problem by repeating what you just did when it crashed/freezed.

That makes sense, I'll keep it off until needed.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:
Pages: [1]   Go Up