INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plz pay attention to my two suggestions  (Read 4039 times)

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
plz pay attention to my two suggestions
« on: April 07, 2016, 05:18:26 pm »

1. i strongly hope deleted files by 'file location >  cover art > clean folder' should be moved to 'recycle bin' instead of complete cleanup.
sadly enough, i forever lost some of my precious private files during tests.
even high-performance disc recovery tools like finaldata couldn't recover them. they never be shown on the list of recoverable data when analyzed with tools.

2. whenever i change cover art folder, make a question box popup like "do you also want to move folders/files in it?"
when i test some bugs, i changed the default cover art folder to d:\ which has so many folders and files (about 20gb).
and i tried to change it back (or change it to another location), mc21 automatically executed copying the tons of files and folders to a new location even to death.
because there is no question before the execution of moving data, mc21 got frozen whenever i tried to change the cover art folder.
i finally had to roll the all settings back with a library backup file. :(
so an additional question process before changing cover art folder MUST be required, or a selective process (change location with data transfer/change location without transfer) should be inserted.

kindly pay the best attention to these suggestions.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: plz pay attention to my two suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:51:34 pm »

whenever i change cover art folder, make a question box popup like "do you also move folders/files in it?"
I have requested this before and think it is a great idea.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:31:38 am »

1. i strongly hope deleted files by 'file location >  cover art > clean folder' should be moved to 'recycle bin' instead of complete cleanup.
sadly enough, i forever lost some of my precious private files during tests.
even high-performance disc recovery tools like finaldata couldn't recover them. they never be shown on the list of recoverable data when analyzed with tools.

Where is this command?

I might be being dense, but I'm not sure where it is.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:38:45 am »

I believe he's talking about the feature/tool at Tools>Options>File Location>Clean Cover Art

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:58 am »

I believe he's talking about the feature/tool at Tools>Options>File Location>Clean Cover Art

Ahh.  Yes, that does hard delete the files.

Not really sure that's worth changing though.  Thoughts?

RD James

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 09:04:13 am »

Always err on the side of caution. Send to the recycle bin.
I would say that a media player should never have the ability to permanently delete files under any circumstance.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:52 am »

Go green. Recycle :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 09:13:41 am »

Alright.

Next build:
Changed: Made the cover art cleanup function use the recycle bin instead of hard deleting the files.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 09:35:50 am »

I really don't care one way or the other.  ;D

Why would any important files that you couldn't regenerate get in that directory anyway .... I don't get it. You could just change the wording from "Clean" to "Remove or Purge" (or use NUKE or OBLITERATE ;D)

Sorry couldn't resist, OP.  I know its not fun to lose stuff that wasn't backed-up yet.  :-[

jachin99

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 10:15:58 am »

If you want your files back this might help. http://accessdata.com/resources/digital-forensics/ftk-6.0 I wouldn't really trust anything from around the internet to be that reliable.  The only way your files are completely gone is if they have been overwritten since.  Weather or not that is likely depends on how much writing you've done the drive that housed the lost files.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:59:56 pm »

one more suggestion!

3. change the default value of the setting from 'options > general > online metadata > disk lookup capitalization:title case' to 'original from database'.
my music files had various patterns for multilingual alphabet words, but until recently i have never realized why all alphabet words in 'title' tag always gets modified after running 'analyze audio'(for example, MY FRIEND>My Friend, いたずらなKISS>いたずらなKiss).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:07 pm »

+1 on requests 1 and 2.

I'm not so concerned about 3, but 1 and 2 can both cause a major problem if a user makes a small mistake. I think both should be implemented.

Also, I think "Clean" is the correct term, as Cover Art files that match library records are left alone, so the function doesn't nuke everything, just the unreferenced files.
See whatwhat's original issue: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104231.0
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 06:41:42 am »

+1 on requests 1...

Also, I think "Clean" is the correct term, as Cover Art files that match library records are left alone, so the function doesn't nuke everything, just the unreferenced files.

Since Matt already fixed it on Friday, I don't think we need to discuss #1 anymore.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up