INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion from FLAC to MP3 fails  (Read 1581 times)

dskrt

• Recent member
Conversion from FLAC to MP3 fails
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:18:53 am »

I have searched the forum but have not found an answer to my problem:

I have ripped (AnyDvdHD) and particled a BD (Roger Waters the Wall) and then converted the concert parts (Dolby Atmos) of the ripped BD from video to audio 'FLAC 6 Channel 24 bit 48Khz'. There are no problems playing these files but conversion to MP3 (or APE or ALAC) fails all the time whereas DBpoweramp has no problems converting the FLAC's to MP3. What might be the problem ? A conversion to AIFF or Uncompressed Wave works fine!

Added: I have tried on 1 Windows 10 Desktop and on 2 MAC's

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Conversion from FLAC to MP3 fails
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:11:55 pm »

Is your computer connected to the Internet? The first time you try to convert to mp3 a component download occurs.

dskrt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 01:33:01 pm »

All Mac's and PC' are connected to the internet and are doing conversions to MP3 for years ;-)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »

I'm relatively sure your conversion is failing because your source video is 6 channel.  That's then being converted to a 6 channel FLAC.  I think MP3 is 2 channel only, so the conversion fails because MP3 doesn't know what to do with more than 2 channels.

The fix is to enable DSP in the conversion options.  Then turn on Output Format and make sure it's set to 2 channel.  This will on-the-fly convert from 6 channel to 2 channel and then send that 2 channel audio to the MP3 encoder.

I just tried this and got the same failure you got on a 6 channel FLAC made from a 6 channel video.  Then I enabled DSP as indicated above, and the conversion worked properly.

Good luck.

Brian.

dskrt

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 01:52:36 pm »

Thanks, you made my day :) Did set DSP correctly but have not been aware that I have to enable it in the conversion options! All working now !

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:55:41 pm »

Thanks, you made my day :) Did set DSP correctly but have not been aware that I have to enable it in the conversion options! All working now !

Note that the DSP used in conversion options is TOTALLY SEPARATE from the one used to play music.  You should double check the settings for the one in conversion options by clicking DSP Settings in the Conversion Options dialog.  It's probably just set to defaults, but you should check to make sure.

Glad this helped you.  :)

Brian.

dskrt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »

Did not know that either :o Good to know, thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up