INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Possible Bug]Can't delete folder  (Read 3948 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[Possible Bug]Can't delete folder
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:15:13 pm »

I recently had 2 programs record on the TV side of things, and the name of the episode ended with '...' (without the quotes).  Both folders are empty now, but I can't delete them.  Windows says that it can't find the file or folder when I try to delete it.

I am in the process of backing up the drive and just going to format it, but I have tried everything to delete the folder.  

I thought it might be something within JRiver when it tries to delete the folder after recording finishes (I record in .ts format) that is causing the folder to be stuck.  Seems to be an awefully big coincidence that 2 folders ending with ... won't delete.

EDIT: I just tried to manually create a folder that ends with '...' to see if I could delete it, and I can't even create it manually...so not sure how the 2 folders even got created in the first place!  But somehow it happened.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: [Possible Bug]Can't delete folder
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »

Just FYI, for anyone who might run into this, I did find a way to delete the folders without re-formatiing the drive.

Prefix the folder name with \\?\

So the 2 commands I used were:

Code: [Select]
rmdir "\\?\D:\Recorded TV\Deadliest Catch - S12E03 - No Good Deed..."
and

rmdir "\\?\D:\Recorded TV\Limitless - S01E20 - Hi, My Name Is Rebecca Harris ..."
It is important that you include the full path, including the drive letter, or it won't work.  I also used an administrator cmd prompt to do it.  so:

D:\Recorded TV>rmdir "\\?\Limitless - S01E20 - Hi, My Name Is Rebecca Harris ..."
Won't work.

I would suggest that JRiver removes any periods from the end of folders it creates to avoid this problem.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:42 am »

Thx!
This was the only possible way to delete a folder created by MC.  Trying to change ownership as per other posts did not work.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:29:09 pm »

Glad I could help!

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 03:29:39 am »

For those experiencing the problem of not being able to delete a folder because it contains spaces or periods at the end you can use 7zip to rename it. Just browse to the folder in 7zip and remove the characters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up