INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and integrated web browser  (Read 1371 times)

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
  • bouncing off the walls, mr jones is back...
MC and integrated web browser
« on: August 13, 2003, 03:59:37 pm »

I have been using MC 9 for several months now and it has completely changed the way in which I work with my music collection. I love it!

I am currently running the latest beta (9.1.233) and in searching through the forum, can't seem to find any info on one of the only areas of MC that consistently annoys me - the integrated browser.

First, I like to refer to the All Music Guide to help me in accurately tagging my files. AMG is available through the Playing Now tree, but what I want is the ability to have the browser open in half of the window, and the media library open in the other half. That way, it doesn't make any difference whether it's a song that I'm currently playing AND I can see the AMG page at the same time that rather than having to flip back and forth. Is there something that I'm missing here - is this possible currently, but I just don't see it?

The other thing that bugs me is the lack of persistence in the browser. If, for example, I go to the Start tab and select the Interact forum, I would expect that if I click on another area in the tree navigation (say, Playlists) that when I return to Start I would see the web page where I left off rather than always defaulting to the start menu. Or perhaps there could be nodes on the Start tree for the MC website, the Interact forum, etc. That way, I could choose to return to the correct page.

Just a few thoughts for making an already terrific program even better  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC and integrated web browser
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 04:11:11 pm »

Thanks.  Glad you're liking MC.

You can change the web page MC uses for the start page.  You just need to edit this file:

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Default\options.ini

It looks like this:

<OPTIONS>
 <WEBPAGES>WebPages/default_v9.zip</WEBPAGES>
 <MINISKIN>SonixMedia</MINISKIN>
 <MEGASKIN>PixOS</MEGASKIN>
</OPTIONS>

Change this line:
 <WEBPAGES>WebPages/default_v9.zip</WEBPAGES>
to
this:
 <WEBPAGES>http://www.jrmediacenter.com</WEBPAGES>  (for example).

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
  • bouncing off the walls, mr jones is back...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 06:40:33 pm »

Cool. I'll try that to change the start page. Any input on my other question about being able to view info in the browser window at the same time that I have the Media Library open?

nila

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 11:52:07 pm »

Thats currently not possible - see the split screen thread for more info on that :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 12:11:57 am »

One thing I noticed with the intergrated browser is that it does not support frames very well.  This shows up when using the AMG page.  The page renders fine and you can see the page about the selected artists.  You can click albums and all is fine until you try to go back to the artist page.  If you click MCs back button it only reloads AMGs top frame not the whole page for the artist...not sure if it is a caching thing or a problem with the frames.  I did originally report this in the bug thread but did not continue to report it as I dont think it is that major.  I now just use the artist info button so that it opens externally in IE but it would be nice to be able to use it internally

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 08:58:55 am »

I've just been undocking the File Properties box, setting it to Always on Top, and leaving it on top of the AMG page, while I tag. It's easier to copy and paste over Bios and such that way.

fex

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 11:34:56 am »

Doof, thanks for the tip, good idea. This is one of the jobs I really hated so far (switching between MJ and browser and adust them all the times...).
Pages: [1]   Go Up