INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver on QNAP won't play hi-res files  (Read 19762 times)

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver on QNAP won't play hi-res files
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:31 pm »

Hi,

I am running JRiver on a QNAP NAS. Every time I go to play a hi-res file I get a file error message. It plays 44/16 great but anything above like 88/24 or 96/24 etc it just stops. What do I need to do to fix the issue? I check the DSP and everything is correct.

Jerry

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver on QNAP won't play hi-res files
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:22:49 am »

Hi,

I am running JRiver on a QNAP NAS. Every time I go to play a hi-res file I get a file error message. It plays 44/16 great but anything above like 88/24 or 96/24 etc it just stops. What do I need to do to fix the issue? I check the DSP and everything is correct.

Jerry
This is like any other linux install of MC. It depends on the device you are playing though. If it's HDMI you are limited by the HDMI settings, usually only 44.1 and 48k. Others have to be converted in DSP studio using the output format conversion. If you are using a USB DAC you'll need to check the specs.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:08 am »

Hi,

I am running ethernet to my Ayon S-5 music streamer. It plays up to 192/24. The same files from the same folder play just fine through another app.

Jerry

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:41:08 am »

Hi,

I am running ethernet to my Ayon S-5 music streamer. It plays up to 192/24. The same files from the same folder play just fine through another app.

Jerry
Assuming it's a DLNA device, configure MC's DLNA server to send the file in original format (or if you have more than on DLNA device, create a second DLNA server in MC and configure that to send in original format and associate that server with your streamer)

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:17:40 pm »

Hi,

not sure how to do that? Can you direct me to a link that shows me how to configure MC's DLNA server to send the file in the original format.

Jerry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:20:22 pm »

It's under Media Network in MC's options.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 05:59:08 pm »

Should I set it Generic DLNA?

I set it up with under the 24 bit DAC. Is that the problem?

Jerry

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »

I did exactly as instructed. I used the generic DLNA setting and set it for no conversion. I keep getting an error message that says 'file format error'

What's next?

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:52 pm »

Actually it is not just Hi Res files. It is a lot of my 44/16 also. What is weird is that on the JRemote it shows 0 bit for any music I play. Should I uninstall and reinstall the software?

Why is this software so buggy? It is not inexpensive.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 02:41:38 pm »

Hi,

I can play my files from my QNAP NAS through file station at any resolution. I can also play them through other programs. It's only JRiver. Do you know what I need to do to fix it or will there be a fix sometime soon?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 04:52:48 pm »

If you're using DLNA, the option is under Media Network.  Media Server > Conversion.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »

Why is this software so buggy? It is not inexpensive.

The software isn't "buggy".  You're using two features, at the same time, that are problematic.  First QNAP based MC.  Second, DLNA renderers.

If you're serious about audio reliability and consistency you're most likely going to find that a DLNA based audio device is the wrong way to do things.  A direct connection is far superior in pretty much every way that matters in audio.  USB, Toslink, Coax, AES are all better connection methods.

Still, I wish you good luck with your configuration.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 06:11:07 pm »

QNAP is new for us and we've had some problems to fix.  It takes a while because we're working with people on the other side of the world

Brian, DLNA is sometimes a problem, but I wouldn't call it "problematic".  People sometimes need help getting it going and we are usually able to to do so.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 06:30:54 pm »

Brian, DLNA is sometimes a problem, but I wouldn't call it "problematic".  People sometimes need help getting it going and we are usually able to to do so.

I disagree.  But perhaps I only see the ones with problems here in the forum, which I see quite frequently.

Jim, would you own a DLNA renderer as your primary interface for listening to audio?  I wouldn't.  DLNA isn't a problem because JRiver supports it badly or anything.  It's a problem because of a lack of standards.  There are a lot of user expectations that just aren't met because many devices don't do one or two or three things that the owner is REALLY wanting and expecting.  DLNA is not a reliable consistent hi-fi interface technology.  It's just convenient and that's it.  All just my opinion of course.  Happy Sunday everyone.  :)

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 06:51:34 pm »

Yes, you see the problems.  We see similar problems with just about everything.  That's life.

I wouldn't suggest that you use DLNA.  It's your choice.  But please don't pour cold water on something you don't use.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:30 pm »

Brian,

I have some very nice gear and to be honest i think the Ethernet cable sounds a bit better than a USB cable. As I'm sure you are aware over 90% of Ethernet cables are crap. The ones I purchased are individually test to meet the standard. With that said I would love to run something else to make a comparison with my QNAP but the problem is that if I want to avoid a computer in the line and my Ayon S-5 does not USB connection, I have to go with the Ethernet cable.
I have run Roon and purchased a separate renderer from Sonore and that connects to the Ayon by toslink but there are just too many working parts for my taste.
I have appreciated the great sound from JRiver and I'm hoping that a fix can happen sometime soon because right now my system is down for the count.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 08:55:32 pm »

Jim,

Any idea what I should do next? Nothing I have done so far works.

Jerry

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 10:44:06 am »

Verify that you can play the file locally first (you can use NULL Output as MC's audio device if you don't want to configure audio playing through the QNAP by one means or another).

Then you need to determine the format requirements are for your DLNA renderer. Devices can and often do have different playback capabilities it they can be used as both DLNA and USB Audio devices.
There are a few different ways to do this. Have you tried playing to that renderer over the network with MC from a PC or Mac?

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »

Bob,

when I go under the output section on MC's audio devices the only choices are basically coding words. There are no devices or the word NULL does not exist.

I have played the files through the QNAP from file station without a problem. My Ayon S-5 unit does not have a USB input. It has Toslink which works just fine with everything else but the MC software. It works fine with the Ayon streamer software through the ethernet cable. Roon works fine also through the Toslink. In fact, MC works fine through my Mac Mini that is set up for music only and plays through the network. As I have said at least a few times it is the Linux software and the QNAP. There are some compatibility issues. I am frustrated and getting nowhere.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 12:20:33 am »

I want a refund on my purchase. How do I get a refund? There is no phone number to call to get tech support and I'm not getting any help in the forum. I have a program that does not work and when I can get it to play a low Res file it will at times lock up my system and then I have to shut everything down to restart just so I can play some music.

I am very frustrated at this point. No moderator has yet told me that they are looking into the issue or that a fix is on the way. Software should not be this difficult to use and if the Linux version for QNAP is still in beta than the consumer should be told this. How do I get a refund?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 12:12:11 pm »

Bob,

when I go under the output section on MC's audio devices the only choices are basically coding words. There are no devices or the word NULL does not exist.

I have played the files through the QNAP from file station without a problem. My Ayon S-5 unit does not have a USB input. It has Toslink which works just fine with everything else but the MC software. It works fine with the Ayon streamer software through the ethernet cable. Roon works fine also through the Toslink. In fact, MC works fine through my Mac Mini that is set up for music only and plays through the network. As I have said at least a few times it is the Linux software and the QNAP. There are some compatibility issues. I am frustrated and getting nowhere.
The NULL output device is under "more" at the top of MC's audio device list.
The device list is what ALSA provides us when we ask it for a list of all devices.
I'm sorry for the frustration. I'm just having some difficulty picturing your configuration. If you are able to play to the Ayon renderer from MC on the Mac Mini you should be able to do the same from the QNAP.

You can contact deanna (at) jriver (dot) com for a refund if you wish.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 03:59:44 pm »

I may be butting in but is everyone absolutely sure that the Ayon S-5 streams via DLNA?

I can't find mention of this compatibility over at Ayon:
http://www.ayonaudio.com/products/digital/network-player/s-5.html
or over at 6moons where it was reviewed in some detail:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ayon7/1.html

No point giving MC a hard time if the hardware involved can't play ball in the first place.

It may be that File Station is using some other streaming format that the Ayon is picking up. I've not checked that side of things but it wouldn't surprise me if it's working via squeezebox.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 05:14:56 pm »

I may be butting in but is everyone absolutely sure that the Ayon S-5 streams via DLNA?

I can't find mention of this compatibility over at Ayon:
http://www.ayonaudio.com/products/digital/network-player/s-5.html
or over at 6moons where it was reviewed in some detail:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ayon7/1.html

No point giving MC a hard time if the hardware involved can't play ball in the first place.

It may be that File Station is using some other streaming format that the Ayon is picking up. I've not checked that side of things but it wouldn't surprise me if it's working via squeezebox.
That sounds very interesting. I'm not sure how it would show up as a renderer in MC's zone settings if that was the case unless WhiteBear was running somewhere...

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:52 pm »

I know it streams uPnP for sure because that is how the Ayon app works. But I tried the legacy UPNP and it did not work either.

nachocheese70

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:58 pm »

VR6, you can try this. Pick one of your files/album and select Cover Art and Export. FYI I highly recommend doing this on a laptop and not on QNAP (you have master license so can install on anything).

Then go to the album art file and see the size. From my experience with JRemote, any cover art bigger than about 600k gives me file format error. Using Windows, I right click and select edit (using free MS Paint) then lower art resolution to 75%, then save. NOTE, I make a backup of the original audio file.

On the copy of the audio files, select Cover Art, delete art file. Then add art from file. Select the smaller sized art file.

For me, this worked 100% of the time.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 09:29:36 pm »

I know it streams uPnP for sure because that is how the Ayon app works. But I tried the legacy UPNP and it did not work either.

6moons concurs with you regarding uPnP:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ayon7/2.html
It operates as a UPnP streamer from PC or NAS via 100MB base-T Ethernet but also allows streaming from USB HS mass storage devices and wireless.

From nosing around the Ayon website, I hope that you at least got a manual with the amp. In today's world, it's a bit of a let down to see suppliers not posting their products' user manuals on line. You might find some useful tips in the hard copy that hopefully you've filed somewhere safely.

All the best...  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 03:18:31 pm »

In my Ayon S-5 user manual it clearly states that it works with DNLA.

NachoCheese I get the file formatting error even if I am using JRiver through the QNAP and projected through my TV by an HDMI cable. I think what I will do just as a trial is to remove the .jpg file from a few albums that will not play on my QNAP and then reboot and see what happens. I have tried everything else to this point in time. I even deleted all of my music files from the QNAP and then re-uploaded them overnight. Still get the error message and then the infamous locking up of JRiver. The freezing up of the program I think is my favorite part of all of this!!

I have made alternative DNLA files on JRiver, I have set the program to only play original file format, I have changed the DSP settings so everything is converted to 44/16. I have tried the Legacy uPnP and the 24 bit DAC settings. I have tried every suggestion that I have been given and still cannot play the majority of my music. It is just not Hi-Res files it is CD rips also. I cannot imagine I have not made some tweak or change and then tried it again. I have been at this process for about 6 days now and countless hours.

I am just about ready to go back to the Roon software or using my Ayon app or the Linn Kazoo. All of those work fine and with the same files.

I do not think it is my Ayon unit. As the owner of the company has told me, he has many clients install JRiver on the RipNAS product and it works without an issue. This is a QNAP-JRiver issue. I am convinced of that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 11:28:07 am »

Looking at this reply and your other reply VR6 I'm starting to think there is a problem with MC accessing the files on your QNAP.

Since you state you can't play many (but not all?) of them through HDMI, if you are still game to do some testing I'd like to try something:

Let's get the sample rate issues out of the variable list. Please choose the NULL output device (Options->Audio->Audio Device->More->Null Output.
Then try to play a file that's not working.
If it plays, we know it's a DSP configuration and/or audio device selection issue.

If it doesn't play, lets look at the file itself. The path (in MC) and the file type, sample rate, etc. Can you report those back?
Also, could you try to open the file by right-clicking on it in MC and doing "Locate on Disk (External)" which will open the folder it's in. Then double-click on the file. We are looking for permissions errors here..

Report back please.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »

Hi Bob,

I will do all of that when I get home after work.

I do not play my music through HDMI. The viewer is my TV and the HDMI goes from the QNAP to my TV to view the MC software. I am sending the files by ethernet cable to my Ayon unit

VR6

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 07:45:45 pm »

Hi Bob,

I tried to be null output and it also did not work. When I try to play a file and it really doesn't matter with the sample rate is the MC will crash and on my A output and it also did not work. When I try to play a file and it really doesn't matter with the sample rate is the MC will crash and on my Ayon unit it will flash file format error for like five minutes. Sometimes the music player will try to play another file and this will just go on and on for a while.

I can't check the audio path  because nothing ends up playing as the system crashes.

I was able to right-click on the file and go to the external drive section and I'm going to attach a picture of the code that came up. I was not able to double-click on it as you instructed  because it wouldn't allow me to as there was just an OK  button.

VR6

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:24 pm »

I got it working! I decided to go through all the menus and sub menus on the QNAP and there was an add on DNLA application that was set to convert audio files. I changed it to originals only and fired up JRiver and it worked😊 
Bob I was able to check the audio path finally and it said that the file was not being processed by the JRiver audio engine. It is because it is not the primary zone. I guess player is so I am unable to use the DSP settings, something I need to be able to use to down convert some super hi Res files I have. I tried to link the Ayon S-5 to the Player but that did not help. How do I fix this?

I also had every music file made into an AIFF file. I removed all of them but how do I make sure they do not come back?

One more issue, I have duplicates of almost all of my wave files. There is no way I can manually remove every duplicate. There has to be a short cut.

Jerry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 07:01:38 am »

Look at the paths of two of the duplicates.  They are probably different. 

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 08:24:22 am »

Hi Jim,

I did look and they are different. What do I do to remove one of them? Is one a bad link?

VR6

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 08:26:52 am »

Could you post two examples here?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 09:47:47 am »

If you changed the settings of a different DLNA application and things started working I'm thinking you are playing from that DLNA application as a library source (Playing From in the MC tree) instead of the main library.
If your media files are on the QNAP, a much better way would be use the main library for Playing From and add the files to that library so MC can access them directly.

You do this by adding the storage location to MC's auto-import settings.
On our TS-251 we do this:
Tools->Import->Configure Auto Import
and add
/share/Music

If your material is in another place use the browse button in the auto-import add function. Start in /share and look for your music.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:13 pm »

Hi,

Jim I will take some pics when I get home from work. I can tell you that the file name has the work tempmedia I believe in it. Before I turned off that add-on DNLA server app the word transcode was in the file name.

Bob I can tell you that I am not playing from the main library but the library that my QNAP name that I gave it which is music server. The loading of libraries was automatic when I first opened it up. The file that the music is being pulled from I can tell you is called root/music. The Linux program gave me a window with choices that I was not familiar with after using the Mac version for the past few years.

Is there a share item I can choose? Again, the linux menu for choosing where the library is is unfamiliar to me. I will check when I get home after work.

Jerry

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »

Jerry check the attached picture

The Main library should the the one highlighted and you should see "Playing from Main Library"

Anything else is a DLNA server library (unless you created a different named one by hand). For example, in my picture the only non-DLNA server libraries are the Main library and the testimport library.

Once you have the main library set properly you can add the files as an auto-import. As I said on our qnap they are under /share

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 12:44:23 am »

Hi Bob,

I created a main library like you instructed. However I had multiple copies of the same music files. I had AIFF files that JRiver must have created as I have none and then it ha duplicates with different files names. One file path looked like the correct location on the Q NAP and the other one had cachedev1 in it. I got ride of the AIFF files and but then I erased all of the cachedev1 files because I assumed they were combing from the audio cache that I had not yet disabled.
Once I did that none of the music files would play and the error message was they could not be found. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know I am close it need some help.

Finally, I was still not able to use the DSP section as it considered my files to not be the local zone or something like that.

Jerry

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »

Hi Bob,

I tried to once again create the main library but it only imported a few of my albums and once again everyone was duplicated with the code reading cachedev1.

This program I'm sorry to say is so much more difficult to use than my Mac JRiver. I never had many issues setting that program up. The QNAP is an awful device to work with. I think I am going to have to reinstall the program and try again. I have been trying to get this to work for a week and a half and I'm just about ready to give up and go back to Roon. At least with that, while the SQ is not as good, I can at least listen to my music.

This has been a most unpleasant experience and I'm very disappointed.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2016, 11:20:12 pm »

Hi Bob,

I have to say that in the process of making my main library and then deleting it to start over I lost thousands of tracks of music. My folders on my QNAP only have the .jpg file in them. I thought I had a back-up copy but I do not. The music was given to me when I purchased my Ayon S-5 and now it is all gone.....poof. I am done with JRiver. No clear cut instructions only a forum to get information on an intermittent basis. While I am a supporter of the Mac and Windows version the Linux version on the QNAP is a load of crap!! Whether that is QNAP or you guys or the inability to work with a company on the other side of the world I do not know. I really do not care. My music library was just cut down by 2/3rds. Is it my fault....probably. Frustration driven by the lack of clear instructions or a user manual, most definitely.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 07:11:55 am »

There are file recovery utilities, maybe for the QNAP.  If you plan to try to use one, stop doing anything that writes to disk if possible.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 08:10:23 am »

I hit the buttons that deleted the files. I have already moved some of the files I had on back up to their original folders again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 05:57:34 pm »

I'm really sorry to hear the troubles you've had with MC on QNAP.
It's been really reliable here with a huge test library.
It's possible the way you are trying to use MC on QNAP is just beyond the capabilities of the setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up