INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 208349 times)

JorgeBispo

Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »

I think it would be interesting to have a adaptive volume like night mode, but do not remove all the dynamics , the gain would reach the minimum 0dB.

This would be very interesting to watch movies in a relaxed manner at moderate levels but still feeling the low frequencies and its peaks.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »

My feature request would be improved support for interlaced and telecined video from DVDs.  I don't run my DVD rips through Handbrake because they look much better when properly deinterlaced or detelecined by MadVR or the TV itself.  Perhaps a video analysis during import and on-demand to determine what the video really is, despite missing or incorrect flags.  Also, tags in MC for interlacing, field order, and pulldown would be useful if MC could force MadVR to use deinterlacing or detelecine on demand.

Here's a use case:
I've ripped all the DVDs for Star Trek Deep Space Nine with MakeMKV, with no further transcoding.  Checking with MediaInfo, some episodes have interlaced flags, some have progressive flags, some have 2:3 pulldown flags, some have 23.976 fps, some have 29.976 fps.  It's a mess.  The true nature of the mpg video on all episodes is 23.976 fps progressive.  MC sees them all as 29.97 fps interlaced, and deinterlaces to 60p.  This looks fine most of the time, but some CGI sequences look terrible under Jinc, but pretty good under bilinear.  The very best result is with forced film mode to restore the original 24 fps.

So if I'm watching some DS9 with forced film mode, it's a bit of a chore to turn that off before queuing up an episode of classic Doctor Who, which are all properly interlaced 29.976 fps (here in NTSC land, it's originally shot on PAL video tapes).

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »

I know this is probably a standards issue and not so much a JRiver issue. But the most important tag to me is the Rating tag. When I convert my files between various formats very often the Rating tags get lost in translation on the exported files. Maybe some logic in the program that does file conversions that ensures that the rating tag (from the database) got moved to the new format properly regardless of the file format or standard of how it stores Rating. Recently I converted about 1,000 files from FLAC/APE and WMA lossless to M4A for use in a DJ booth were the guy had an Apple rig. Only about one third of the rating tags made it across on that export. Also on Windows machines maybe get the rating to be maintained/synched in the OS file attributes as well, so in file explorer you can see the rating too.

I know the Rating tag in general is problematic in the industry, every OS and file format seems to store it differently so it gets lost a lot, JRiver is not the only program with this issue. Maybe its not solve-able at all.

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2016, 07:21:24 pm »

I very often need to order whatever rows are currently in the grid into a random sequence. For example when auditioning songs for playlists using a random grid I can ensure the playlists get built more randonly, or just working with the data to not wind up working everything that starts with "A" first, "B" second, etc.

Currently if you right click the top of the grid you can select what columns appear, so why not just add a new column to the schema called "Random". If you add that "Random" column to the grid it will re-assign a random number to each row whenever you go to sort on that column, thus causing the grid to re-order itself in a new random.

I can then keep the Random column in my column presets. This way random sorting would simply be inherent in the grid functionality whenever you need it there, with no need for a separate toolbar button, etc. I can include the random column in any grid output from a search or smartlist, etc.

Maybe there is another alternative for a Random column that I don't know of? I see that there is an "Seq" column that becomes available only on the Now Playing grid, this offers a Sequence number which is less useful than a random number column to me. I see a Random column that is available on any grid as well as Now Playing grid as being of much more useful than the "Seq" column.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2016, 06:36:53 am »

I think it would be interesting to have a adaptive volume like night mode, but do not remove all the dynamics , the gain would reach the minimum 0dB.

This would be very interesting to watch movies in a relaxed manner at moderate levels but still feeling the low frequencies and its peaks.

If your tracks are all analyzed, that's exactly what adaptive volume set to peak level normalize will do.

My feature request would be improved support for interlaced and telecined video from DVDs.  I don't run my DVD rips through Handbrake because they look much better when properly deinterlaced or detelecined by MadVR or the TV itself.  Perhaps a video analysis during import and on-demand to determine what the video really is, despite missing or incorrect flags.  Also, tags in MC for interlacing, field order, and pulldown would be useful if MC could force MadVR to use deinterlacing or detelecine on demand.

Here's a use case:
I've ripped all the DVDs for Star Trek Deep Space Nine with MakeMKV, with no further transcoding.  Checking with MediaInfo, some episodes have interlaced flags, some have progressive flags, some have 2:3 pulldown flags, some have 23.976 fps, some have 29.976 fps.  It's a mess.  The true nature of the mpg video on all episodes is 23.976 fps progressive.  MC sees them all as 29.97 fps interlaced, and deinterlaces to 60p.  This looks fine most of the time, but some CGI sequences look terrible under Jinc, but pretty good under bilinear.  The very best result is with forced film mode to restore the original 24 fps.

So if I'm watching some DS9 with forced film mode, it's a bit of a chore to turn that off before queuing up an episode of classic Doctor Who, which are all properly interlaced 29.976 fps (here in NTSC land, it's originally shot on PAL video tapes).
Append [deint=film] or [deint=video] to your filenames to specify the type of deinterlacing that madVR will use.
I have madVR set to use film-type by default since that covers 95% of what I watch, and I will edit the rest as required.
You can also set a keyboard shortcut for this in the madVR options.

I very often need to order whatever rows are currently in the grid into a random sequence. For example when auditioning songs for playlists using a random grid I can ensure the playlists get built more randonly, or just working with the data to not wind up working everything that starts with "A" first, "B" second, etc.

Currently if you right click the top of the grid you can select what columns appear, so why not just add a new column to the schema called "Random". If you add that "Random" column to the grid it will re-assign a random number to each row whenever you go to sort on that column, thus causing the grid to re-order itself in a new random.

I can then keep the Random column in my column presets. This way random sorting would simply be inherent in the grid functionality whenever you need it there, with no need for a separate toolbar button, etc. I can include the random column in any grid output from a search or smartlist, etc.

Maybe there is another alternative for a Random column that I don't know of? I see that there is an "Seq" column that becomes available only on the Now Playing grid, this offers a Sequence number which is less useful than a random number column to me. I see a Random column that is available on any grid as well as Now Playing grid as being of much more useful than the "Seq" column.
Search for "fields" in the options window.
Open the "Manage Library Fields" window.
Add a new field called "Random"
Set it to use calculated data and paste this code:
Code: [Select]
<font size="5" color="000000">Math(Rand(1))<//font>
Edit the font color to match the background color of your current skin if you want to keep the values mostly hidden.
It's specified as a hex code. "000000" is black "ffffff" is white.

RD James

« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2016, 06:59:22 am »

[Last Added] field to keep track of when files were last added to Playing Now.
The goal is to have a smartlist that gives me say a 24 hour history of what has been added to playing now in JRiver, whether they were played or not.

Prompt the user if they clicked a Car Radio button and it is either going to replace an existing Playing Now list (similar to the "clear playing now" option) or stop playback in any currently active zone.
Mis-click once and hit a Car Radio button and it can result in very frustrating behavior from the program.
That said, it would also break my "random" button if I was prompted every time I clicked the button - so I don't know what the solution is for that. Hold a key and click, or middle-click to bypass the prompt?

Per-zone toggle of Car Radio button display. I use Car Radio for music. I don't need to see that in video zones.

Undo option for Playing Now changes. Should hopefully be less necessary if the above changes are implemented, but still useful to have.

A hide function for expressions.

Instead of:
<font size="5" color="000000">Math(Rand(1))<//font>
Use:
<hide>Math(Rand(1))<//hide>
Or perhaps:
Hide(Math(Rand(1)))
This would not just make it hidden or transparent, but it would not display anything. Zero width. Using <font> is a bad hack.
This would clean up a lot of expressions that output values used for sorting, but not intended to be displayed.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2016, 10:14:27 am »

Append [deint=film] or [deint=video] to your filenames to specify the type of deinterlacing that madVR will use.
I have madVR set to use film-type by default since that covers 95% of what I watch, and I will edit the rest as required.
You can also set a keyboard shortcut for this in the madVR options.

Appending the filename only seems to work for local files.  I'm using a MC client-server setup and it does not work for streamed files.  But it works if I play the same file locally from the client.  Also, madVR keyboard shortcuts don't work if an IR remote is configured.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

Appending the filename only seems to work for local files.  I'm using a MC client-server setup and it does not work for streamed files.  But it works if I play the same file locally from the client.  Also, madVR keyboard shortcuts don't work if an IR remote is configured.

I just tested an you're right; that's unfortunate. I wonder if there's a way to leverage tags to solve that problem?  I seem to recall that not being a workable solution in the past, but things may have changed.

RD James

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2016, 11:33:31 am »

I just tested an you're right; that's unfortunate. I wonder if there's a way to leverage tags to solve that problem?  I seem to recall that not being a workable solution in the past, but things may have changed.
Or JRiver could try to preserve filename tags when streaming?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2016, 11:39:55 am »

Or JRiver could try to preserve filename tags when streaming?

That could potentially work too.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »

This is about Photos:
I am using Lightroom for editing, organizing and viewing my raw images. A seamless integration with MC would be great, but only worthwhile if JR can render all edits from Lightroom and access metal data, without having to export images from Lightroom first.

Piblokto

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:11 pm »

Internet radio.

This is becoming difficult now with some streams closing due to rights issues and other sites no longer providing stream URLs, requiring listening via their pop-up player.  I have moved to Linux and use the Cantata program which provides the Icecast, Shoutcast and TuneIn services - these would be ideal along with a facility to select favourites.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

change the theme engine i really wanna make some staff and improve my main skin but all the values are shared, make them individuals please!!!
i wanna change a single value without affect other...
you know that its a problem for a themer...
so please make this right to make us give you more!

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2016, 09:38:30 pm »

I'm still hoping for:

• An elegant, integrated liner notes / .pdf booklet / multi-image display system.
  • An elegant, integrated lyrics fetching and display system. No, I don't do karaoke - I just like to read the lyrics & they are often hard to make out.

A few more wishes:

• I'd love to see a few more theme options. I don't know about the theme engine's limitations, but I'd appreciate it if JRiver created one or two new eye-popping themes that really show what can be done. (and could be tweaked to create some interesting offspring...).
  • I know that the 'tree' is functional & can be collapsed & customized a little, but it does feel a bit klunky -- I'd love to see an
    eye-candy way of navigating my hundreds of playlists i.e. customizable panes of buttons, populated manually or by 'smart rule' criteria...
  • I liked the idea of having some one-click layout memory buttons (maybe optional to add to top bar?). Why? I'd like to be able to click one button to restore my "organizing mode" layout of panes & Tabs, click another button to restore my preferred browsing mode(s), etc. The current layout saving system is too hard to use and I just don't use it.  I get my tabs and panes set up nicely, then mess them up and have to do it all over next time. 
  • I don't like/use theater view as every time I try to get myself to use it, I find that I have to drop back to 'standard' view to do something -- it feels unintuitive and separate from the main program. Just sayin' -I think it needs integration work. A simple place to start would be doing away with the annoying confirmation dialogue when hitting the <esc> key to return to standard mode.
  • The ability to organize and browse .pdf magazines. I do use a simple 'kludge' for this, but proper auto cover art & built-in reader would be nice. They're part of my media collection, too.
  • I'd like to use the program to organize my photos, but that area still needs attention.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:51 am »

would still love to see support in the future for  Music Tracker/Module files  (all the various formats)

Lefisu63

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2016, 02:12:02 pm »

My feature request as posted here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=profile;u=185201;sa=showPosts

• PLR -  the effectively LUFS version of TT-DR value (and finally the better "Dynamic-Range-Indicator") - Prio 1
  • Avg. RMS db - Prio 1
  • Max. RMS db - Prio 2
  • Max. Momentary (LUFS) - Prio 2
  • Max. Short-Term (LUFS) - Prio 2
  • Max. PSR - Prio 2

... there is no other tool around who would be able to do this!

THANKS A LOT! :)

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2016, 03:09:39 pm »

Because the Tag Window no longer allows changes without having tracks selected, we need a quick way to select multiple tracks with mouse clicks only.

Select Albums/Groups using only mouse. A couple options could be:
  • Add a "Select" button or checkbox next to the Album/Grouping
  • Allow a single click to select the Album/Group
  • Add a "Select All" button somewhere appropriate to select all the files in the view

RD James

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2016, 04:53:58 pm »

No button please, but I like the idea of being able to select/drag a group using the heading like that.

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2016, 01:59:14 am »

Feature Requests for MC22
[...]
2.  64-bit support:
It made sense for MC to be 32-bit when madvr was limited to 32-bit, but now madvr has a 64-bit version, and with a memory intensive program like madvr this has added a very significant speed boost.  This was actually the feature that finally sent me back to just using MPC-HC again.

4.  A way to process HRTF filters (before choosing output mode):
This has come up on the forums a few times.  Currently MC forces choosing the audio output format before allowing any other filters.  It you choose 7.1 output, then apply an HRTF filter Windows then adds “Ghost” or blank audio to the non-stereo channels.  As a result, instead of a HRTF processed stereo being sent to your headphones and/or A/V receiver, a stereo + 5.1 empty channels is sent out. As this point, either windows or your receiver will process the audio again to convert the pseudo-surround into 2-channel stereo.  This mix is not equal to the original 2 channels and it makes virtual surround impossible using MC.

On the other hand, if you choose stereo output Media Center converts your 7.1 file to stereo before applying the HRTF filer.  This again defeats the purpose.

[...]

Those are probably the only 2 things that would make me upgrade to MC22.

Mind you, it is possible to work around (4.) by using ASIO (at least on my machine with an Asus Xonar card) - however the sound card needs to support 5.1+ output. ASIO bypasses the drivers and the OS audio stack entirely thus sending a clean 2.0 signal to my headphones with HTRF applied. If I use WASAPI (yes, even exclusive, gotta love ASUS and their intrusive drivers) or Directsound however the result is horrible because downmixing is applied after the HTRF processing. This is something that can be worked around easily in foobar2000 (even with Directsound/WASAPI and a stereo soundcard) however that is not a video player :)

So right now I have no problem playing my games or watching films with HTRF processing using ASIO in MC21 (worked fine in previous versions as well) but it would be nice if it was made better so that I can do it on ANY machine, including my laptop which only has stereo output for example. I would instantly upgrade. Right now I'm not seeing any planned feature that is even remotely relevant to me.

64bit support is definitely interesting as well for video playback, although I didn't really notice a difference when using mpc-hc I'm sure it has potential and will prove useful eventually.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2016, 07:44:37 am »

Next build we'll try this change:
Changed: Clicking the header of a full row list item parent (the album name by artist) will select all the files in the grouping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2016, 08:13:34 am »

^ You know someone is going to ask to be able to select all songs in all albums displayed too.  Where would it make sense to select all as opposed to just the album?  I'm not trying to be negative.  I've just read a lot of the discussion about this and I'm certain people will want to be able to select "everything displayed" somehow.

Brian.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2016, 03:21:16 pm »

Honestly? I can't think of any requests except perhaps seeing if a 64-bit build on Windows is viable during the MC22 cycle. It'll come in handy once I get a 4K TV and start to use MC's video features.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2016, 06:15:48 pm »

Thanks for the tip on the "Random" column. It does exactly what I was describing!

deye76

« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:48 pm »

I would like that MC22 or future versions can...

- display the Player and "Search" at bottom instead of top

- rip Cds and convert music files to uncompressed FLAC (1411 kbps)

Thank you very much for your excelent work.

Bert490

• Recent member
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:51 pm »

I would like to see a skip forward/back button feature in Gizmo for recorded TV shows (30 sec fwd, 15 back, or as set in preferences).  My current workaround for this is to use Yatse once the Gizmo selection is playing.  Yes, it takes a few seconds for the server to skip forward by 30, but it's better than guessing how much to slide the (laggy upon waking) Gizmo slider to reach 3 or 4 minutes ahead.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:20 pm »

When selecting Tools | Import | Import Single Folder...
Please allow automatic audio analysis, or at least make it a checkbox option.

Thank you.
(Should be a quick and easy implementation)

Skogkatt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2016, 03:16:33 am »

Adding the capability for multiple simultaneous stereo DAC operation.

For those interested either in a multi-amplified system or a multi-channel DAC, this feature would allow to use (or reuse) stereo DACs instead of having to buy a dedicated multi-channel DAC.
High quality multi-channel DACs can be expensive and the choice might be limited. On the other hand, stereo DACs are widely available and there might be the chance to reuse an older DAC (for the bass frequencies perhaps).

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:16 am »

I have asked that few versions before.

I'd like a link arrow for titles (like albums, genre or interprets)

This would really help to find easy songs performed by various artists or from different sources.....

Wouldn't this be easy for you guys?

Thx

RD James

« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2016, 07:52:37 am »

1. Being able to save and load Parametric EQ presets.
2. Being able to add more Parametric EQ DSP sections. (less important if #1 is added)

blgentry

« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:01 am »

This already exists.  It's called linkable columns.  It should be on by default, but if it's not:

Tools > Options > General > Features > Linkable columns > (checked)

See this post for a screen shot of what it looks like:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56666.msg385836#msg385836

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:56 am »

1. Being able to save and load Parametric EQ presets.

You can already save and load the configuration for the entire DSP Studio.  That was a new feature in MC21.

It seems like that would work pretty well.

blgentry

« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2016, 07:54:55 am »

- rip Cds and convert music files to uncompressed FLAC (1411 kbps)

MC rips CDs to the format of your choice.  FLAC is one of the choices.  So I'm pretty sure MC already does exactly what you asked for.  :)

Brian.

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2016, 08:20:31 am »

I checked this column, but the link is not available for the title or name

THX

This already exists.  It's called linkable columns.  It should be on by default, but if it's not:

Tools > Options > General > Features > Linkable columns > (checked)

See this post for a screen shot of what it looks like:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56666.msg385836#msg385836

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2016, 08:27:43 am »

This would really help to find easy songs performed by various artists or from different sources.....

Normally doing a search on the song title would only find the one song that you just clicked the link on.

If you can explain why it'd be more useful than that (and we agree!) we'd be happy to add it.

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2016, 08:38:24 am »

Matt,

I have about 300K songs in my library, which results in duplicates you want maybe look for. Also Artist perform a song in different constellations. E.g. Eric Burdon, Animals, Eric Burdon & The Animals...

Another extreme example are christmas songs (I know it's not the right time in the year) performed by many artists, e.g. White christmas.

THX

I'm a little confused by this because normally doing a search on the song title would only find the one song that you just clicked the link on.

If you can explain why it'd be more useful than that (and we agree!) we'd be happy to add it.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:05 am »

You can already save and load the configuration for the entire DSP Studio.  That was a new feature in MC21.

not really, precisely because it covers everything in the dsp studio. IMV it's more like

Ease of Use & Interoperability
1) provide the ability to export/import PEQ filter banks from/to a defined text format
what is it?
- a way to make life easier when you have a lot of filters to enter
- a way to interoperate with auto eq tools like Room EQ Wizard
- implementation could be similar to the convolution implementation or could be more like a DSP load/save
- should also be exposed as a MCWS/MCC command

any workarounds?
- no

feel free to implement everything in that thread ASAP btw :D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2016, 09:32:16 am »

Matt,

I have about 300K songs in my library, which results in duplicates you want maybe look for. Also Artist perform a song in different constellations. E.g. Eric Burdon, Animals, Eric Burdon & The Animals...

Another extreme example are christmas songs (I know it's not the right time in the year) performed by many artists, e.g. White christmas.

THX

Alright, I added it to the docket for MC22.

Cheers.

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2016, 09:33:34 am »

Thank you.

That would be really great! :)

Cheers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2016, 10:14:53 am »

Cheers.

Hendrik took me to task for making the field linkable (I don't want links!), so I had to one up myself and make it selectable per field if it has a link.

So everyone wins (except me because it took a while!).

By default, name won't be linked, but just look in Manage Library fields once MC22 ships.

deye76

« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2016, 11:16:25 am »

MC rips CDs to the format of your choice.  FLAC is one of the choices.  So I'm pretty sure MC already does exactly what you asked for.  :)

Brian.

NO. The options provided for FLAC from 0 to 8 are all COMPRESSED.

blgentry

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2016, 12:35:12 pm »

NO. The options provided for FLAC from 0 to 8 are all COMPRESSED.

Why are you concerned about compression in FLACs?  They are lossless, no matter what level of compression is used.  Lossless is lossless.  There's no format that is "more lossless" than another.  All lossless formats store the exact same audio data.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »

Some DAP's require uncompressed FLAC (and some DLNA)

DBpoweramp recently started allowing uncompressed as an option, I think it's a fair if not often used request

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:22 pm »

I think we have to draw the line when things just make no sense.  This is a completely pointless option, in my opinion. 

blgentry

« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »

Some DAP's require uncompressed FLAC (and some DLNA)

What DAPs and what DLNA renderers won't play standard FLACs, but *will* play uncompressed FLAC?  I can't imagine someone designing a player that won't play the normal version of a FLAC, but requires a special FLAC.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2016, 02:37:47 pm »

What DAPs and what DLNA renderers won't play standard FLACs, but *will* play uncompressed FLAC?  I can't imagine someone designing a player that won't play the normal version of a FLAC, but requires a special FLAC.

Brian.

I've seen it out and about on the interwebs.  I don't know if it's even true but it has been asked about on CA and head-fi.  So with that, my attempts at defending the OP have ceased :)

RD James

« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »

You can already save and load the configuration for the entire DSP Studio.  That was a new feature in MC21.
Swapping out the entire DSP chain is what I'm looking to avoid.
I'm looking to have quick presets that I can can change for certain tasks, similar to the way that we can load/save presets for other individual DSPs.
One example would be to EQ for a specific headphone.
Depending on the headphones that I'm using, I will have a different EQ preset which is a list of 5-10 filters that I currently have to manually switch on/off.
I could set up a zone for each headphone, but they all connect to the same playback device, so then I would have to disable zone switch.

Being able to add additional Parametric EQ stages would help separate complex EQ chains.
There is some EQ which must be performed early, and other EQ which must be performed after another stage.
I currently have both Parametric EQs performing multiple tasks at once. One at the very top (well, as high as JRiver allows) and one as the very last thing.
I would prefer to use one Parametric EQ plugin for each task, making it possible to toggle a task in a single click or easily make adjustments, instead of selectively enabling/disabling/editing parts of one of the two Parametric EQ DSPs.

There are a lot of ways that I would like to see zones, presets, and tagged files expanded.
JRiver is probably leading in its field in most cases involving DSP. However it falls down on relatively "simple" tasks like assigning an EQ to a single file, compared to something like iTunes.
Because you can do so many things in DSP Studio at once, saving the whole lot and assigning it to a file is not a very useful thing to do - especially when the changes are not transient. The way it works in JRiver right now can actually be quite destructive.

I think we have to draw the line when things just make no sense.  This is a completely pointless option, in my opinion.
FLAC does have better tagging support than other uncompressed audio formats.
I don't know why anyone would use it to store their music, but when I do a "convert video to audio" or if I'm converting DSD to PCM, I use WAV because if I'm doing that I will be dropping the file into an editor and cutting it up before creating my final track.
So the conversion in JRiver is just an intermediate format, and conversions to WAV go a lot faster than FLAC because it's uncompressed. Even FLAC 0 takes a lot longer than WAV.
If I could get that speed without losing tags (which I think is more an issue with the "receiving" program not reading extended tag info with WAV files) that would be a small thing which saves a bit of time every so often.

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2016, 09:24:06 pm »

Normally doing a search on the song title would only find the one song that you just clicked the link on.

I also have been asking for this item. Most songs in Jazz have been recorded 500+ times by 1000+ different artists. Just now I picked a song at random "Route 66 (get your kicks on)", it turns out I have 82 recordings of that song by 70 different artists. I always need the little arrow on the "Name" column in the grid to find all other versions of a song in my library with that name. This is an every-day need for me, as it is for most jazz and classical enthusiasts. I am constantly searching the library by song name manually, it would be so nice to just click the Name arrow like I could with Artist. I really dont need the arrow on something like Genre, what good is it to bring up 200,000 more jazz tracks? But an arrow on Name is very useful.

Thanks

dafloydman

• World Citizen
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2016, 03:37:03 am »

What about Volume levelling for gizmo/JRemote.
I can't believe the whole community here isn't crying out
for this ,

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2016, 04:49:53 am »

A few requests.

1) port MC to IOS so it can be run on an ipad and not be tied to a mac.

2) port MC to Synology NAS.

3) Add folder view and import options to IOS remote.

4) be more proactive in upgrading and improving the IOS remote.

5)  Reading through the forums there is loads that can be done to improve the look and usability of MC, documentation and setup Wizards would also help as for the novice it is complex.

RD James

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2016, 05:15:21 am »

What about Volume levelling for gizmo/JRemote.
I can't believe the whole community here isn't crying out
for this ,
I'd also like to see management of JRemote clients on the server. Have them appear as a zone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up