INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check-type fields in the tagging pane are very confusing  (Read 1212 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Check-type fields in the tagging pane are very confusing
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:34:50 am »

The way that check-type fields behave in the tagging pane - both the current and experimental tagging panes - works in a very confusing way.
I was just trying to tag a number of artists as a test, and I thought I had selected maybe 15 or so items.
However when I checked my view corresponding to the checked values, I saw that none of them had been applied!

When editing a check-type field in the tagging pane, the behavior is as follows:

1. Click the field, which is currently blank. This now displays a checkbox.
2. Click the checkbox. This now checks the field.
3. Select another field. This writes the value and changes the field to display a 1 instead of a checkbox.

What I had done was to initially perform step 1 on the first album, which displayed the checkbox by default.
I then ticked it, selected another album, ticked it, moved on to the next album and so on.
However this did not write the value to any of these files!
And in my testing, hitting enter does not write the value either, that toggles the state of the field. You must hit tab or select another field manually to write the value to the field.

This behavior is very confusing.

Check-type fields should always display the checkbox in the tagging pane, whether they are currently selected or not.
And clicking the box should always toggle the state and immediately write it to the tags.
It should not be necessary to select another field to write the value after toggling the checkbox.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Check-type fields in the tagging pane are very confusing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:38 am »

Your observations about how the checkbox field behaves seem to be correct.  But I don't think it was really designed to be used from the Tag Action Window. I think it was designed to be used directly in the main listing area.  It behaves in a very rational consistent manner when you use it there.  ...and because you can have the Tag Action Window open right next to a listing, you can actually use both methods at the same time:  TAW for making detailed changes.  Main listing for checking boxes.

I think this might be one of those "intention of the tool" issues.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up