INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating computers and hard disks  (Read 1898 times)

-Michael

• Junior Woodchuck
Migrating computers and hard disks
« on: May 20, 2016, 06:12:21 am »

My music resides on a hard disk and the JRMC21 library on my work computer.

This summer I'll be moving the music off the portable drive and onto my NAS drive, and I'll be getting a new Mac.

How do I ensure that all metadata from the library is baked into each song, so they move with all metadata?

In other words, what do I have to configure in JRMC21 to ensure that 1) metadata gets recorded into the aiff, ape or flac file and 2) that the songs currently there have all library metadata copied onto the music file?

Cheers.
Synology 214Play, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Roksan Kandy Amp, Dynaudio 42s, Magnum Dynalab 105T & attenuator, Nordost, TNTAudio and Furutech cables.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Migrating computers and hard disks
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:38:41 am »

By default, MC should be writing all metadata into your files already.  The setting that controls that is:

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > update tags when file info changes > (checked)

You can force a re-write of this by highlighting some files and then choosing Library Tools > Update tags (from library) .

However, if you're just moving MC to another computer, you shouldn't have to rely upon the tags inside the media files.  MC's database can be moved pretty easily.  Just do a backup on the source computer and a restore on the destination computer.  File > Library > Backup library .  File > Library > Restore Library .

Your file paths might be different between the old and new computers.  So the restored library might not know where any of the files are because they have the wrong path.  You can easily fix this with the Rename, Move, and Copy tool in Update mode.  Here is some documentation on RM&C:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template

If you need help with it, just ask.  It's a big tool and might require a little assistance to get it right.

Good luck.

Brian.

-Michael

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:22:38 am »

Brian, your answer is clear, to the point and just what I needed to know to do the migration of files.

I will be adding portable hard disk files to an older MC set of music files on my NAS, so in this instance, the transfer of the library file won't be necessary. I will export the library as a back up at any rate.

Thank you for taking the time to answer in detail and with sound knowledge of the programme. You make it sound easy. I appreciate it a lot.

:P
Synology 214Play, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Roksan Kandy Amp, Dynaudio 42s, Magnum Dynalab 105T & attenuator, Nordost, TNTAudio and Furutech cables.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:42:23 am »

You're welcome.  Come back here if you have any questions during/after your migration.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up