INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server: failed to bind?  (Read 996 times)

icky

• nothing more to say...
Media Server: failed to bind?
« on: August 12, 2003, 06:14:19 pm »

I've multiple PCs at home so I'm trying to set up Media Server so I can share the same database and MP3s with multiple computers.

I've downloaded and installed the most recent version. I have Media Server configured to use Automatic port selection. However, I get the following error:

Failed to bind. The port is not available.
Please enter an available port number or choose automatic port selection in the Network options.

Running Media Server on Windows 2000 Server SP4.

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server: failed to bind?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 06:20:08 pm »

The port it's trying is in use by another application.  Try another port -- 81, 82, ... 6081, 6082, ... etc.

icky

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 07:19:27 pm »

Sorry, I should have included more info in the previous post. I've tried many different ports (including the ones you mentioned and a whole bunch more). It seems that no matter which port I pick, I still get the error. I've used netstat -a on the machine to review the ports that are in use and I know that I'm picking unique ports that are not in use by another application. If I configure Media Server to use a port and then get the error and then do a netstat the port I selected shows as LISTENING so Windows thinks Media Server is using that port...but Media Server doesn't.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 08:32:45 pm »

I just had this happen to me as well.

It turned out I somehow had 2 instances of Media Server trying to run at the same time. Not sure how it got like that, but once I fixed it, all is well again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up