INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video only plays in Black & White  (Read 3225 times)

Dervishing

• Recent member
video only plays in Black & White
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:11:17 am »

MC 21 - Windows 10 - 1 year old Toshiba laptop with 4K/30 Hz (max., only using 1080p mode) Intel graphics adapter (laptop)

- MKV, MP4, AVI all play only in black & white
- Files are stored on a network RAID array with drives and computer connected to Ethernet LAN (home)
- MC21 shows video file icon with scene from the video mostly in B&W though some show up in color but video plays in B&W anyway even if icon has a color scene
- Not a problem with MC17, color video played in color
- Don't see a Video (Tools) setting that has anything to do with playing only B&W
- Same files play in color via other ways of playing them (through)
- Using HDMI output from laptop connected to 32" TV being used as monitor.
- Computer desktop and internet pages, photos (in MC21), etc. all have normal color, only video files trying to play in MC21 are B&W
- Videos are typically 720p or 1080p resolution, playing times 15 minutes to an hour or so
- Red October Standard mode selected, have not tried other options
- Amazon streaming video and internet video accessed through MC21 plays in color

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: video only plays in Black & White
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:15:00 am »

That's a strange problem.  My first thought was that a cable might be the source of the problem.  Video driver is a possibility.

In MC's settings for video, try toggling the hardware support option.

Make sure you're using the latest build of MC.  21.0.84 is at the top of this board.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:19:43 am »

I have never heard of anyone with this problem before - congrats on being the first.

One thing to check, is in the Windows>Control Panel>Intel HD Graphics is to see if the color settings are checked to "use video player settings" or "use Intel Graphic settings" (wording may be slightly different for Intel). You may also want to try updating your video drivers - in case something funky is going on there. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

The only other thing I can think of to check, is when you are playing a movie/show, right click on the display and select "Color Controls" from the menu. Anything unusual there? You could try clicking on "Reset to Defaults". I'm not sure if some setting in the Color Controls settings would affect all movies/shows, or if it is only applied to the current file type, or something else.

Good luck.

Dervishing

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 02:25:46 am »

That's a strange problem.  My first thought was that a cable might be the source of the problem.  Video driver is a possibility.

In MC's settings for video, try toggling the hardware support option.

Make sure you're using the latest build of MC.  21.0.84 is at the top of this board.

Does the same thing on laptop internal display and all other color is fine/normal, color is normal in window borders, background, icons, video from any internet source is fine (in browser or from inside MC21). MC21 displays JPGs normally (in color). No problem with video anywhere on the entire computer -- except video files played in MC21 being in b&w. Same video files played in a different app appear in color as they should.

Inside MC21 when I check for updates, it returns a message that the version I am running, .83, is up to date.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:10 am »

Perhaps, the saturation is set to zero on those videos?
While playing one that is B&W, press the up arrow on your keyboard until the video picture menu of the on-screen display shows up. One of the options in saturation, and there is also hue etc.

Dervishing

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:36 am »

I have never heard of anyone with this problem before - congrats on being the first.

One thing to check, is in the Windows>Control Panel>Intel HD Graphics is to see if the color settings are checked to "use video player settings" or "use Intel Graphic settings" (wording may be slightly different for Intel). You may also want to try updating your video drivers - in case something funky is going on there. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

The only other thing I can think of to check, is when you are playing a movie/show, right click on the display and select "Color Controls" from the menu. Anything unusual there? You could try clicking on "Reset to Defaults". I'm not sure if some setting in the Color Controls settings would affect all movies/shows, or if it is only applied to the current file type, or something else.

Good luck.

I hate when I'm the first or only to have a problem. It's lonely at the top.
In the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel-Video (right click on desktop background, select Graphic Options, then click Video), on the Color Management window, Basic mode, there are settings for Standard Color Correction and Input Range. Both have the same 2 options: Application Settings or Driver Settings. If you select Driver Settings there is another choice you have to make for full/limited. Input Range was set to Driver Settings so I changed that to Application Setting and applied the change. It was right after that that I got color for the first time since installing MC21 months ago. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Have looked at that page many times while trying to fix this... had NO FREAKIN IDEA that a setting called Input Range could disable color for video files in MC21. I almost didn't change that setting tonight, but decided at the last second to change it just in case.

Pages: [1]   Go Up