INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio/Sonics/Codex-Complacency  (Read 4186 times)

SrednyStog

Audio/Sonics/Codex-Complacency
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:53:17 pm »

An MC21 user recently posted that, due to a lack of progress on the things he holds near & dear Re: MC, he was no longer interested in upgrading. I'll be going with the up-grade to MC 22 (having paid for it already) but that will be my last up-grade since it is all-to-apparent we folk of the Mac persuasion have long been treated as 2nd class JRiverites as we are not privy to the same level of development Windows users have long enjoyed, though we Mac-sters pay the same rate as those more privileged PC folk given all the bells and whistles. I held out the hope that we on the creative arts side might catch up to the PCers with subsequent releases and while we've been thrown a bone or two I see no real effort on JRiver's part towards balancing the product for all concerned. Instead, as a long-time reader of this forum, complacency is very evident in the tone and expression of JRiver' people here. My argument would be stronger had I'd copied time and place where it was most evident but as a studio owner and someone concerned with sonics I'll just go with one example: One poster had asked if improvements were forthcoming in the way of audio codex/sonics. He was told that as MC was already the best out there sonically there was little need for any further development in that quarter. Well, it's clear to these ears with the aid of a high-end studio, state-of-the-art DACs and near-field monitors that even KODI, (the lowest of the low since it cost $00.00) well out-performs that testament to complacency, JRiver MC. A-B the two, stop being bureaucrats with a snooty attitude and little to lose and you might retain more professionals for up-dates. Like me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio/Sonics/Codex-Complacency
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:04:59 pm »

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the Mac builds get the benefit of most changes we make for the Windows version.  It's the same source code.

The major differences at this point have to do with Theater View, remote control, and television.  We hope to close that gap in the MC22 cycle.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:11:43 pm »

My argument would be stronger had I'd copied time and place where it was most evident but as a studio owner and someone concerned with sonics I'll just go with one example: One poster had asked if improvements were forthcoming in the way of audio codex/sonics. He was told that as MC was already the best out there sonically there was little need for any further development in that quarter. Well, it's clear to these ears with the aid of a high-end studio, state-of-the-art DACs and near-field monitors that even KODI, (the lowest of the low since it cost $00.00) well out-performs that testament to complacency, JRiver MC. A-B the two, stop being bureaucrats with a snooty attitude and little to lose and you might retain more professionals for up-dates. Like me.

I don't work for JRiver.  I'm just another customer like you.

The claim above makes little sense.  I'm very skeptical of claims that players of a certain caliber sound different.  Without a demo or some other kind of "proof", I have to put this in the placebo category.

Can you pick Kodi versus MC in a blind test?  I'll bet you can't.  If you can hear an obvious and clear difference, one of the players is either configured wrong (sample rate conversion for example) or is doing additional DSP processing.  If both players produce bit perfect output, where would the differences be?

I'm not being "snooty" or anti-audiophile.  I consider myself to be a mild audiophile.  I've auditioned equipment, listening for differences, for almost 30 years now.  I'm an enthusiast.  But I'm also an engineer.  So if something doesn't make sense, I question it.  You can't tell me that you repainted your car and it went faster and expect me to accept it.  Things have to make sense, or they are likely wrong.

Aside from this part of the discussion, what do you think JRiver should be doing to improve MC on the Mac side?

Brian.

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:08:03 pm »

Well, there's always ASIO support. Implemented for Windows, not (yet) for Macs . . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up