INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to submit crashlogs for QNAP MC?  (Read 11356 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Where to submit crashlogs for QNAP MC?
« on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:37 pm »

I'm currently experiencing frequent crashes after updating to 21.0.83.  Is there an appropriate place to submit my crashlogs?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Where to submit crashlogs for QNAP MC?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:45 am »

This current version is unstable.  After playing a track or two I get an audio streaming error upon trying to play the next track in JRemote and when I VNC into my QNAP NAS, I see that MC is no longer running.

I've linked the "previous log" and "log" files below.  I'm hoping someone from JRiver's development team will review this thread. 

Log

Previous Log

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:23:17 am »

Is it related to the file type being played and / or converted?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 12:24:15 pm »

Would you try removing auto-import watch folders and see if the crash goes away?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »

Would you try removing auto-import watch folders and see if the crash goes away?
Yes, and confirming that this is the culprit after having unchecked "run auto-import in the background." 

Thanks bob, and thanks JimH for the consideration! 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:10:38 pm »

Yes, and confirming that this is the culprit after having unchecked "run auto-import in the background." 

Thanks bob, and thanks JimH for the consideration! 
It possible the JRWorker for importing is crashing on a particular file
OR
The watch folders for autoimport are so many that the QNAP is running out of resources

A log might help. If there is a specific file that gets processed to cause the crash you might try importing that folder manually and see if it works.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:36 pm »

It possible the JRWorker for importing is crashing on a particular file
OR
The watch folders for autoimport are so many that the QNAP is running out of resources

A log might help. If there is a specific file that gets processed to cause the crash you might try importing that folder manually and see if it works.

I'm not sure I'm locating the right logs.  Are the ones that I posted above correct?  If not could you please remind me where they would be located on a QNAP install?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 02:01:58 pm »

Yes those logs are correct.
I dont' see anything catastrophic in them.
It could be that you are simply running out of resources (memory for watch handles?).
You could try setting ths auto import to a smaller directory tree to see if the the issue is the number of watch handles...

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:08:34 am »

I appreciate the consideration bob!  I've only got two main folders that MC is watching, (one main, one new but untagged) but both combined led to a 1 TB of space.  I've decided to keep the auto import off and just use VNC to run the import function when I have fresh music that I wish to see in my library.  Since turning off auto-import I no longer need to first use a VNC app to launch MC and then connect via JRemote.  

Before the recent update, it would be infrequent, but I would have had to launch MC every couple of days first before connecting via JRemote.  But since turning off auto-import, I've yet to experience a crash or having to manually launch MC except for instances where I've restarted the QNAP OS.  So I'm just going to keep it off and just run the import once a week and relaunch the app when it finishes with the import if/when there is a crash.  

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:15:51 am »

I appreciate the consideration bob!  I've only got two main folders that MC is watching, (one main, one new but untagged) but both combined led to a 1 TB of space.  I've decided to keep the auto import off and just use VNC to run the import function when I have fresh music that I wish to see in my library.  Since turning off auto-import I no longer need to first use a VNC app to launch MC and then connect via JRemote.  

Before the recent update, it would be infrequent, but I would have had to launch MC every couple of days first before connecting via JRemote.  But since turning off auto-import, I've yet to experience a crash or having to manually launch MC except for instances where I've restarted the QNAP OS.  So I'm just going to keep it off and just run the import once a week and relaunch the app when it finishes with the import if/when there is a crash.  
I assume that you don't get a crash when you run the import manually?

It would be interesting to know how many folders there are underneath your 2 autoimport folders (the watch on linux uses one handle for each directory in the hierarchy).

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 03:11:27 am »

I've been testing it out and wanted to be sure before affirming that it doesn't crash when running auto import via JRemote and, yes, your assumption is correct it does not crash when running the import manually.

As for the folders, they get pretty deep.

My main one is as follows:

Library -> Genre -> Style -> Country -> Artist -> Albums

The other one doesn't go as deep, but it's my dump directories over the years and they've yet to be fully organized into the above schematic, i.e.

Main Dump Directory -> Previous Dump Directory 1…, 2…, 3…, etc. -> list of albums.

Not sure if that helps…

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 10:47:06 am »

I've been testing it out and wanted to be sure before affirming that it doesn't crash when running auto import via JRemote and, yes, your assumption is correct it does not crash when running the import manually.

As for the folders, they get pretty deep.

My main one is as follows:

Library -> Genre -> Style -> Country -> Artist -> Albums

The other one doesn't go as deep, but it's my dump directories over the years and they've yet to be fully organized into the above schematic, i.e.

Main Dump Directory -> Previous Dump Directory 1…, 2…, 3…, etc. -> list of albums.

Not sure if that helps…

If you log into the QNAP at the base of where your auto-import folder is you could do this:

find  . -type d | wc -l

Which will return the number of directories that need watch handles.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 07:20:30 am »

Thanks bob for the command!

Here are the numbers I got from running it:

2760 - Main Library
7596 - Dump directories
10,356 - Total

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:57:57 pm »

From stack overflow:
You can find the system limits by reading /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances (maximum number of inotify "objects") and /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches (maximum number of files watched).

Each watch takes about 1k of memory. In your case about 10 megs I'd think. Doesn't seem significant to me.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 09:57:20 pm »

Ok thanks bob, I'll turn auto-import back on and run those commands to see if it picks up anything abnormal.  My QNAP NAS has 16 gigs of ram so I'm not sure why it would run out of memory even in the worst case.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 01:54:39 pm »

Ok thanks bob, I'll turn auto-import back on and run those commands to see if it picks up anything abnormal.  My QNAP NAS has 16 gigs of ram so I'm not sure why it would run out of memory even in the worst case.
Thanks, I don't see how it could run out of ram either, it's got more than my desktop!
Pages: [1]   Go Up