INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 21 new french translation for PCM :-)  (Read 4706 times)

ThierryNK

• World Citizen
JRiver 21 new french translation for PCM :-)
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:40:04 pm »

Hello

Maybe, JRiver has found the 1 person among 66 millions frenchies who uses MIC (Modulation d'Impulsion Codée) as a translation for PCM.

Perhaps, "Vague" for Wave and  CASPL (Codec Audio Sans Perte Libre) for flac could also be french translations.

But, very strangely DSD was not translated...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This has been confusing for quite some people here, mainly for DLNA transcoding options, as PCM was PCM and not MIC, in previous JRiver versions.

MIC has also been used for DSD/PCM (DSD/MIC) conversions...

For frenchies who prefer to read PCM over MIC, just open the content of Media Center 21 and go to Contents/Resources/Data/Languages/French and edit the file Language.txt
Search for MIC and make the changes when needed. Restart JRiver after saving the Language.txt file.

Kind regards
Thierry
S1 Listening: Mac Mini, JRiver, Minimserver, Roon, Qobuz, Matrix X-Sabre3, Ayon Sheris III, Kinki EX-B7, Vivid G2S2
S2 Playing and studio: Yamaha WXA-50, HEFA Mutine, Seinway O180

Casiophil

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRiver 21 new french translation for PCM :-)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:43:19 am »

I changed PCM to MIC few months ago because Modulation d'impulsion codée has its wikipedia page in french.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:54:28 am »

MIC isn't a well known term as far as I know.  Is it in France?

Some things, like HTML or MP3, need no translation.

You could translate it, as is done on the Wikipedia page, as MIC (PCM).

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 08:45:27 am »

^ That's a good point.  Some things shouldn't be translated, as the translated terms lead to confusion.  For a reverse example how about the internationally recognized system of units and measures, "SI", or "Systeme International de unites"  (please excuse spelling mistakes, I don't speak much French). Everyone everywhere uses "SI" and doesn't question that it's French.

Food is an interesting problem area with this.  Cuts of meat in particular.  "Beef Short Ribs" don't exist in Italy or France.  Of course the cut of meat exists.  But the translated term doesn't exist.  Every country has their own names for cuts of meat, which is rather confusing.  Anyway, just an aside.

I would think that PCM and FLAC are nearly universal terms.  FLAC for sure should not be translated.  Just my opinion.

Brian.

kurushi

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 04:29:46 am »

Am agree Both Pcm and flac no need translation i wasn't aware about the "mic" word.
"mic" is for an audio enginer  micro on a sound console.

Casiophil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »

Well, FLAC will never be translated in JRiver because it is a trademark like DSD, iPod, Blu-Ray, JPEG etc.
PCM is not a trademark but a representation method which already has a translated name (see the french wiki page).

Is this name adopted and used by audio professionnals? I'm not sure. But if we didn't write the translation, it will never get popularity.

Many other elements are not translated because they are too specific and/or don't have any good translation:  bit-perfect, surround (a translation exists but is bad), Mid/Side, bitstream, dithering, SDK. Some others are hard to find: OTA, EPG...

I don't want to translate the most but I try to offer the best translation.
So I will revert MIC to PCM in version 22 as it confuses many users.
Pages: [1]   Go Up