INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All else on mute while running JRiver on Mac  (Read 4334 times)

dreamanday

All else on mute while running JRiver on Mac
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »

I am Running the last version of JRiver on Mac w 10.11.5 and while the program is active all else is mute itunes mute if I open a video on Quick time is on mute Youtube on Chrome also mute etc. If I close the JRiver everything goes back to normal. Please help!

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: All else on mute while running JRiver on Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:42:23 am »

This should only happen if you check the box "open device with exclusive access" under tools/options/audio/device settings. However it doesn't work as expected. No matter if you check or uncheck that option, you will get no sound from other programs as long as MC is running.

In my opinion this is a bug as has already been reported by several others.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:45:47 am »

Exclusive access will definitely produce this symptom.  After turning it off, you'll probably need to shut MC down and restart it.  Then make sure your setting stayed unset.

I use MC all the time without exclusive access and my other sound programs can talk to my sound devices just fine, even with MC running.  I'm using OS X 10.9.5.

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:26:42 am »

Exclusive access will definitely produce this symptom.  After turning it off, you'll probably need to shut MC down and restart it.  Then make sure your setting stayed unset.

I use MC all the time without exclusive access and my other sound programs can talk to my sound devices just fine, even with MC running.  I'm using OS X 10.9.5.

Brian.

I'm using OS X 10.11.5. I've been restarting my Mac every day. That ought to do it  ;)

But I found the problem, although I've got no solution.

I'm running MC on two Macs. The first one has but one sound output option, headphones. On that Mac, other sound programs work even with MC running, just as it's supposed to be.

On my main Mac, I've connected a DAC via USB (NAD M12). In the sound control panel I've chosen that device as default output. I've got two other options, which I have no reason to select (see attached screenshot). In MC of course, I've chosen the NAD as output device as well.

Now, when launching MC I've noticed that the control panel setting gets changed to "Samsung HDMI". When quitting MC, it get's changed back. That's why I hear no sound from other programs, unless I listen to the HDMI output. Needless to say, I'm not interested in constantly switching forth and back while using different programs. I want to use my USB DAC for all sound output.

To put it a different way, MC doesn't prevent other programs from outputting sound, but will not allow output to the same device it is using itself. This kind of amounts to the same "exclusive access" setting, doesn't it?

I see no reason for MC to change the sound control panel setup, even temporarily.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:49:50 am »

You didn't say whether or not you had looked in MC at the exclusive access setting.  You want:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Exclusive Access > (unchecked)

Make sure MC has the NAD set as it's audio device and NOT default.

Good luck!

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:48 am »

You didn't say whether or not you had looked in MC at the exclusive access setting.  You want:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Exclusive Access > (unchecked)

Make sure MC has the NAD set as it's audio device and NOT default.

Good luck!

Brian.

Of course, I've done both, namely unchecked exclusive access and chosen NAD as audio device.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 11:11:45 am »

^ ...and you restarted MC after unchecking exclusive access?

Something is strange because I'm doing pretty much exactly what you are:  I have a Mac with an internal sound card *and* and external USB DAC.  MC is set to use the DAC as it's audio device.  I can play sounds from other programs to the DAC while MC is running.  I can play sounds from both at the same time actually:  MC *and* another program.  I just tried it.

I'm using MC21.0.83 and OS X 10.9.5 .  But it's worked this way since MC20; I don't think anything has changed.

Please uncheck exclusive access for this device in MC.  Quit MC.  Relaunch MC.  Go look at that setting and make sure it's still unchecked.  Then test again.

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 11:38:44 am »

^ ...and you restarted MC after unchecking exclusive access?

Something is strange because I'm doing pretty much exactly what you are:  I have a Mac with an internal sound card *and* and external USB DAC.  MC is set to use the DAC as it's audio device.  I can play sounds from other programs to the DAC while MC is running.  I can play sounds from both at the same time actually:  MC *and* another program.  I just tried it.

I'm using MC21.0.83 and OS X 10.9.5 .  But it's worked this way since MC20; I don't think anything has changed.

Please uncheck exclusive access for this device in MC.  Quit MC.  Relaunch MC.  Go look at that setting and make sure it's still unchecked.  Then test again.

Brian.

I can't tell you how many times I made sure that option was unchecked and how many times since I have rebooted. We are talking months. I'm pretty good at trouble shooting IT stuff. Haven't you read my complete email? About my other Mac where all this is working perfectly? Do you realize I was talking about the default in the Mac sound control panel and not about choosing "(default)" in MC?

Could this maybe depend on the DAC? I'm not sure anymore but I think with my previous DAC which had been connected via FireWire, this problem did not occur.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 11:51:39 am »

Please don't be insulted by me asking questions and offering suggestions.  I don't know you and you don't know me, so we don't know what the other person's experience or capabilities are.  I'm just trying to help.  :)

I can't imagine that it's DAC dependent, but maybe?

You could try moving that DAC to your other Mac and testing there.  That would tell you something.

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 12:03:44 pm »

Please don't be insulted by me asking questions and offering suggestions.  I don't know you and you don't know me, so we don't know what the other person's experience or capabilities are.  I'm just trying to help.  :)

I can't imagine that it's DAC dependent, but maybe?

You could try moving that DAC to your other Mac and testing there.  That would tell you something.

Brian.

Well, it's okay. I'm not insulted, simply annoyed. I could not have described certain things without having done those simple tests first. I was kind of afraid that your next question would be on the level of "have you turned on your PC, is the power cord plugged in . . ." etc. It brought back memories of those good (or rather bad) old hotline support guys where I always had the feeling nobody even bothered to read my entire emails, just quickly responding after reading the first line . . .

So, no harm done  :)

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 02:52:36 pm »

Wow.  Ok then.

Good luck with your problem.

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 02:54:49 am »

Wow.  Ok then.

Good luck with your problem.

Brian.

Thanks. Just to remind you, it is not just my problem. I've seen several people reporting the same problem.

Granted, it is not a major issue, simply an annoyance. That's why it is probably never going to be fixed, especially if savvy people like you cannot reproduce the problem.

But, I'm still very happy with MC. So, I won't mention this issue ever again  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up