INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split Panes...  (Read 10097 times)

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Split Panes...
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2003, 04:04:40 pm »

Knicelfarz,

As usual your screenie is excellent.  That is exactly how I had envisioned this kind of thing working.  Okay so it is definitely not going to be in 9.1 now but this would be great for 10.0!! (or 9.2, or whatever the next project is :D)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2003, 04:26:50 pm »

George,

I would really like to check out your tool...

It crashes when I click on the "Set/Change Target" button. There seems to be a problem with renamed custom fields. Here is the error message:

Error 3074: Expression continues past expected end.
On line: 1._Letter_Album = Cnt
WinBatch 32 2003H
WIL Version: 4.0hda

I use the renamed custom fields "1. Letter Album" and "1. Letter Artist"...I removed the numbers from the renamed fields (Now "Letter Album" and "Letter Artist") and then was able to make the next step (select a track and click the "Send to Target" button). But it then crashes with the following message:

3052: Uninitialized variable or undefined function
On line: Date_(year) = Cnt
WinBatch 32 2003H
WIL Version: 4.0hda

The selected tracks have normal entries for the date like "1999" or "2003".

Any idea what went wrong? ;)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2003, 04:30:16 pm »

I got the same error with Date.  And the playing now pane didn't seem to update when I added new files.  Any chance that there could be a simple cut down version which simply shows playing now in a floating window and updates automatically when new files are added or on a regular basis??  I would do this myself if I had any idea where to start LOL

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2003, 04:36:02 pm »

... Okay so it is definitely not going to be in 9.1 now but this would be great for 10.0!! (or 9.2, or whatever the next project is :D)

I'm looking forward to meet all the "split view huggers" again next week  ;D

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2003, 06:59:14 pm »

Re MC_TLV Crashes:

Not sure but I was able to crash it on my system by hiding the "Track #" field.  I use essentially the same columns for all my view schemes.  If the folder you're trying to copy from doesn't have all of these fields included then it will crash.
"Artist", "Album", "Track #", and "Name"
Its case sensitive as well, so "aRTIST" would crash it.

I'm not sure if this is the problem on your systems but it may be.  If you could test it out and let me know I'd appreciate it.

Adam -
I'd have to look at it.  The problem is with the field names and the number you have visible in Playing Now.  I could easily grab the list but it might be real slow to update.  I'll give it a try and post a link if I can get it working.

Thanks

George

V-Man

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2003, 11:47:20 pm »

George,

I would really like to check out your tool...

;D

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2003, 12:51:40 am »

I can't fault Knicelfarz' solution. It's a great idea for the interface.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2003, 01:45:37 am »

Does your new pane really need the full width of the app?  eg with Playing Now / Playlist views, is it necessary to have all the different column properties in there?
For me it would be enough if it would show Artist/Name/Duration... but I guess the next question of many users would be "Why can I not see column XY in that view? It's essential for me because...". So I think it's better to let the user decide...

I'd prefer to have it run vertically down the right hand side: that way more of long Playing Now / Playlists can be displayed in one go, maybe displaying only Artist / Album info.
Well, I didn't like the properties in 9.0 because they cluttered the screen, covered parts of the library and forced me to drag around the pane splitter permanently. It worked when I was using 1600x1200 screen resulution, but a good GUI should do the job even with 1024x768... If I can choose between more scrolling and draging around pane splitters, I would prefer scrolling. But maybe the graphic engine of the next version of MC will be flexible enough to let the users even decide between vertical and horizontal direction ;D

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2003, 01:51:30 am »

;D
Mmh, maybe I should have better written "give it a try"? Sometimes I feel like I need some more english lessons...sorry!

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2003, 01:55:01 am »

Re MC_TLV Crashes:
... If the folder you're trying to copy from doesn't have all of these fields included then it will crash.
"Artist", "Album", "Track #", and "Name"

I use these columns for all my view schemes, too ;)

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2003, 02:22:57 am »

I'm afraid that it's too late for MC 9.1...but here is a quick example how it could look like...

Any kind of criticism welcome ;)

I use MC for DJ-work and MUST see what is in playing now at EVERY time.

Always switching between the library and the playing-now makes the work much harder.

I think the Knickelfarz-solution would be a great thing. Hope we'll get it soon  8)

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2003, 02:34:01 am »

I concur - the Knickelfarz screenshot looks awesome - especially with the inclusion with the properties. As long as it could be turned off by shrinking it down. It would also be cool if you could decide if it fills the whole width, or only the right (allowing the node view to have maximum height).

If this was implemented, and v9.0 trees were supported alongside panes, then all my UI gripes would be gone :)

dragyn

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2003, 03:16:42 am »

I think something like that would be great. I always find myself going back and forth a lot.

LisaRCT

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2003, 05:12:30 am »

Directory Opus - HIGHLY recommend it - someone recommended it to me on here and I tried it.
It can totally replace explorer - even to the point where when we press Windows Button+E - it opens it instead of explorer.

It can also give the sizes of each folder as one of it's columns (such a rare but so obviously needed feature of almost all file browsers) and gives split screen.

WOW I love this program . . .   Directory Opus rox!
I don't know that I need splat panes in MC9, but I love it for windows.   Thanks for thte lead Nila   :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2003, 11:17:03 am »

I don't know that I need splat panes in MC9

Splat panes.  I like it.  Sounds like something you'd get from paintball combat.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2003, 11:26:33 am »

Splat panes.  I like it.  Sounds like something you'd get from paintball combat.

Can That Be A "NEW OPTION"?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2003, 12:57:31 pm »

As a permanent pane or a split one??

JLee
Not only i'am Mister Average ,but i even change my mind..

I started to burn with MC , and now YES i REALLY would like a  Burn cd " split pane

LisaRCT

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2003, 05:00:34 am »

LOL, OK very funny. . . .    :P

actually it is not a paintball thing it is a kitchen thing . . .

FOOD FIGHT!!!

::: ducking :::

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2003, 04:36:02 am »

MC_TVL 1.0 RC ;D

Reread the bug reports from knickelfarz & NoCodeUK and fixed the problem.  The revised script does not have preset columns, it uses the first six columns from the target folder, instead.

I have uploaded the revised script and you can grab it thru the same link http://members.shaw.ca/gvag/MC_TLV.zip.

Adam -
I looked at Refreshing the target list without using the "Copy to" button, but I couldn't see a clean way to implement it in the current script.  So you have to click the Refresh button to update the target list, if you still find that "Copy to" is too ;-) iffy.  I changed the copy code, so you may find less need for the Refresh button.  Occasionally it won't copy but just click the Copy button again and it seems to work.

Someone mentioned that they'd like to be able to insert new items into the target list, you can do this now.  But I found that MC has a bug in its paste function and reverses the order of the pasted items.  I could write code to correct this but I'll wait to see if this is fixed in the next version.  See the readme file for instructions.

I have added some error handling to the script and the comboboxes are working now, again see the readme file.

As usual I'd appreciate any feedback, apart from bug fixes, I'm not contemplating any major changes to the script.  It's pretty much the way I had envisioned it working when I started to code it.

Thanks

George

LonWar

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2003, 05:38:17 am »

hmm,

I tried your plug in and it says:

"Media Center is not running.
Open it and restart MC List Viewer

The problem, is I have it open?
-

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2003, 02:22:45 pm »

Hi imjustagamer -

I run Win98SE, when I have MC running it shows up in the taskbar as "MEDIA CENTER - library name".  The script doesn't care about what comes after "MEDIA CENTER" and it is case sensitive.

However, if you have MC minimized to the systray then MC_TLV won't see it and won't run.  A definite Gotcha and I'll revise it in the next version but for now just make sure that MC is not minimized.

thanks

George

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2003, 02:40:49 pm »

I really like Knicelfarz' solution. It makes MC much more user friendly.

nila

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2003, 04:28:28 pm »

WOW I love this program . . .   Directory Opus rox!
I don't know that I need splat panes in MC9, but I love it for windows.   Thanks for thte lead Nila   :)

np :)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2003, 02:52:55 pm »

To Matt - After all those pros and cons...
Any thoughts or comments about the 'split pane madness' (of course "as a user here - not an official voice for JRiver" ;))?

What do you think about a horizontal split of the application in the sort of

Playerbar
------------------------------------------
Tree | Library or Playing Now
------------------------------------------
Tools (can be hidden)

where "Tools" can be properties, playing now, playlist collector, anayize audio, burner, ripper ...?
Would be nice to know your opinion  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up