INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No build tonight -- or tomorrow night  (Read 6879 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
No build tonight -- or tomorrow night
« on: August 05, 2003, 11:49:00 am »

It may be several days before we release another build.  We're working on a big change in the interface.  It isn't anything you've asked for, but it's something we want to do.  Like other big changes, it may be controversial.

Your patience is appreciated.

gkerber

Re: No build tonight -- or tomorrow night
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 11:51:45 am »

It may be several days before we release another build.  We're working on a big change in the interface.  It isn't anything you've asked for, but it's something we want to do.  Like other big changes, it may be controversial.

Your patience is appreciated.

I'm scared....

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 12:03:12 pm »

Any hints or snapshots for us to get used to before we have it on our desktops ? Give us a little time to relax and get settled with the new changes ... :)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 12:24:58 pm »

Ooh!  Now we get to do some cool speculation!

The change that they're implementing is...

...MC will now not be compatible with Windows.  It will be Macintosh-only!  Boo!!!

;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

nila

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 12:31:26 pm »

hmm - BIG CHANGE - NOTHING WE'VE ASKED FOR - why does that combination scare me?

Everyone's having a hard enough time with panes already and a big change at a point where we're meant to be finishing off the product?
Hope you guys aren't totally redoing the GUI to 'simplify' it or anything - cause it could work backwards.
You guys usually pleasantly surprise so I hope this is a case of that :)

Can I post a SMALL request - not sure if its possible - John said he'd fixed the CD Burning bug in MC - any chance of just releasing the last build with the fixed CDR functionality? Dont know if thats possible.
It'd also be great just to let those of us that like it how it is now stick with this version in case we dont like the 'big change' :)

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 12:35:06 pm »

Here's a screenshot of the new MC interface:

Toast goes in the toaster.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 12:42:42 pm »

Give us a clue Jim just to put us at ease.  I doubt any of us will be able to sleep!  Are we talking look and feel or major functionality changes? :'( :'( :'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 12:48:42 pm »

It's a big change to the interface, but I think you'll like it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 12:58:22 pm »

Here's a screenshot of the new MC interface: WINAMP

You know MC has Winamp 2.x skin support don't you?  Load up the Winamp 2.x skin and you won't be able to tell 'em apart when they're side-by-side.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 01:10:09 pm »

Yep, it's one of the features I use to sell MC to people.

I was just trying to be funny.

AND FAILING MISERABLY.
Toast goes in the toaster.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 01:22:23 pm »

You know MC has Winamp 2.x skin support don't you?  Load up the Winamp 2.x skin and you won't be able to tell 'em apart when they're side-by-side.

If only it had Winampe 2.x vis support...

And Winamp 3 skin support...

hehe

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 01:26:53 pm »

Pssst! Here is a secret screenshot from the secret JRiver underground laboratory...

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 01:44:34 pm »

If only it had Winampe 2.x vis support...

And Winamp 3 skin support...

hehe

Hubba hubba hubba, Winamp vis support.... mmmmmm...
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 01:57:10 pm »

I also take it that it means all the plug-ins and remote controls that ive just got working again are going to stop again.

I'm sure you could check that first before releasing.

PS. I'm not scared anymore as ive just finished backing up my whole collection to a 250Gig external firewire disk that i am going to bury in the garden tomorrow in a lead box with an EMP protection factor that even Bin Laden cant touch.

Protected.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 02:16:57 pm »

Cool, I can't wait, I luv stuff like this...

Something tells me that MC has the underpinnings to be a completely new system shell.....for any OS.....
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2003, 02:48:57 pm »

Yikes! this is getting really weird.  Don't know why, but I got up this morning and decided that it was time to retreat to 9.0.  Which I did.

Why? you may ask (or not).  I'd just wrapped my head around the 9.0 changes, decided I liked the properties window the way it was in 9.0 and, powerful or not, Panes were a pain.  9.0.180 seems fairly stable on my system and I only have MJ/MC for music.  
I really like:
1.  Tagging in 9.0 (there may be more pwerful taggers but I can't imagine what they would do and don't care).
2.  Burning audio/data.  I sleep easy at night knowing that most of my music is now archived to Cd's labeled "Data CDnnn" and tagged accordingly.  When my Music HD crashes (and it will crash) the rebuild will be relatively painless.
3.  Finally figured out what I needed to do to browse by Artist/Album in thumnail mode (its a view under Media Library) and and double-click to play, its a treat.  I like to see the cover art and so does my wife.  In fact she really likes it because that's how she remembers music she likes, not artist and not artist, but the cover art.
4.  If its Lame VBR encoder is shelling out to DOS I'm not aware of it all I know is that it is significanly faster than Lame 3.92.
5.  Does 9.0 do everything I want it to do, the way I would like it to?  No.  But it does the above and imports new tracks and updates my library like a comet compared to many other players I've looked at.

So, good luck to all!  I'll keep checking in and following new developments but I need a really compelling reason to move beyond 9.0.

Thanks

George

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2003, 03:13:34 pm »

"It isn't anything you've asked for, but it's something we want to do."

Did you go marketing school at the University of Dyslexia, where the roles of customer and supplier get reversed?

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 03:28:06 pm »

Did you go marketing school at the University of Dyslexia, where the roles of customer and supplier get reversed?

I thought something similar ;) ;)

Anyway, I dont want to disturb them right now: Go, go, dont stop.. ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 03:50:14 pm »

Go, go, dont stop..

it's really

"Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go..."
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 03:56:17 pm »

Is that Peanut Kong?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 03:59:02 pm »

Something tells me that MC has the underpinnings to be a completely new system shell.....for any OS.....

That's a nice thought.  mcsh.

dkan24

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 04:30:36 pm »

I know this won't be the big Hairstyle we are all waiting for, but let me beg a little - please!!!!

I have been building HTPCs for all of my friends, and I keep telling them "in one month, this will be the best interface you guys have ever seen.  I have complete faith in the programmers".

But we all want it NOW!!!  We need our girlfreinds and wives to love MC9 as much as we do!  We need our unfortunate friends that only have SDTVs to appreciate this app!  We need our HDTV friends to show off their system even more!  We need a new Hairstyle!!!

sraymond

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 05:54:03 pm »

I can't even begin to guess what it could be, but I like the concept.  Forget evolution!  Revolution is where it's at!

But, admit it, isn't it a bit cruel to not even give a little hint?  Oh well, they say patience is a virtue.

Scott-

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 07:12:18 pm »

Cool, I can't wait, I luv stuff like this...

I have been quietly and patiently hoping for something like this.

Listening to: 'SPEED RACER TV Theme' on Media Center 9.1

nameless

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 09:42:41 pm »

I want my Mommy!

BTW, you did know that's a pic of a chimpanzee, which is an ape, not a monkey, right?   ;)

nameless

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2003, 09:47:37 pm »

I think gkerber will join me in hoping the UI change will make MC9 look more like Sonique used to, with a small, non-resizable interface, and ultra-tiny skinned buttons and controls that a skilled surgeon would have difficulty manipulating.   :-/  :-X

jleerigby

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2003, 11:09:45 pm »

I think Jim's being mischievous and pulling our legs.  I reckon he just posted a deliberately controversial statement to give us all something to talk (or whine) about to keep us occupied while they get on with the bug fixes.  Quite thoughtful of him really.  He just doesn't want us to get bored. :D

nila

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2003, 01:37:59 am »

your all miles wrong and sound like babbling chimps!!

It's sooo obvious I cant believe you haven't realised it.

We're gonna get what we always wanted - MC is becoming hardware not software and is FINALLY (about ruddy time) going to make our coffee for us!!

Dont forget to add Donut support too!!

jleerigby

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2003, 01:57:55 am »

..We're gonna get what we always wanted - MC is becoming hardware not software and is FINALLY (about ruddy time) going to make our coffee for us!!
Can you imagine if MusicMatch did that?  It'd be stone cold by the time it popped out.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2003, 03:42:17 am »

Just received a DVD with 10'000 Artworks and installed it. They have their own Painting UI and their own database. Although not as sophisticated as MC (just images), they have a nice tabs interface.

There are tabs for Media Library (Artists) / Search that you can toggle and other tabs for Thumbnails, List View, Preview View!

This might be the secret! We get a tabs interface! That was one of the things that was hardly asked, as everybody was fully engaged with panes!

Did a lot of mass tagging the last few days! Hope it will not destroy all the new information entered!

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2003, 03:45:48 am »

So much for "No new features". ? ? ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2003, 03:56:10 am »

A strange mix of excitement and concern... trying out new UI features is always a good thing. But as the 9.1 change to panes has shown, any serious changes are bound to have a mixed response. And with all the current bugs in most recent build, those not happy with the design are either going to have to except it, or use a buggy previous build.

Still, with all that said, I can't wait :-)

lOth

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2003, 04:37:51 am »

this won't be the big Hairstyle we are all waiting for

yep, probably not, because if there is something we've asked for...

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2003, 04:44:04 am »

This week we're going to stop making any big changes to 9.1 and concentrate on bugs.

If you have ideas on how we can make MC better, please save them for the next version.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

We're working on a big change in the interface.

I couldn't resist.

No, that's cool.   Now's the time to test those things out.  Who knows, people could really love it.  I'm all for trying new interfaces.  

You guys have created a program that I feel has one of the best interfaces (if not the best) for managing and listening to large music collections.  I trust what you do and can't wait to see what you have instore.

kiwi

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2003, 05:40:45 am »

This might be the secret! We get a tabs interface! That was one of the things that was hardly asked, as everybody was fully engaged with panes!

I'd bet that Jaguu is right.  There could be a tab for playing now where you see the visualization window and the playing now queue and nothing else.  

Click on the Panes tab and you get the pane view, no tree.

Click on the Tree tab and you don't have to see the panes.

More tabs for Tagging mode, Burner, DVD playback, Photo management, playlist/smartlist, devices etc.

This would make Media Center less complex and may even remove the extra clicks they are worried about.  It would also make it much easier for the novice user to get started, they would only see what they wanted to see.

It Jaguu is right, I can't wait to see it.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2003, 05:45:31 am »

I know this won't be the big Hairstyle we are all waiting for, but let me beg a little - please!!!!

I have been building HTPCs for all of my friends, and I keep telling them "in one month, this will be the best interface you guys have ever seen.  I have complete faith in the programmers".

But we all want it NOW!!!  We need our girlfreinds and wives to love MC9 as much as we do!  We need our unfortunate friends that only have SDTVs to appreciate this app!  We need our HDTV friends to show off their system even more!  We need a new Hairstyle!!!

I couldn't agree more! Hairstyle and remote control functionality are pretty poor (sorry guys, the rest is ace!)

Living room usage is where it's at (going.) You even got rid of mjextman TREEPATH  >:( >:( from 9.1 so I can't use my remote to play the 'path' (ALBUM) I want! Do what I suggested - offer custom toolbar buttons and the ability to associate keyboard shortcuts to them.

No one says you have to lose the superb advanced functions you've created, give us good remote control options (Girder or Internal) and a good hairstyle then you would have catered for every type of user!

Cheers

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2003, 05:57:26 am »

I'd bet that Jaguu is right.  There could be a tab for playing now where you see the visualization window and the playing now queue and nothing else.  

Click on the Panes tab and you get the pane view, no tree.

Click on the Tree tab and you don't have to see the panes.

More tabs for Tagging mode, Burner, DVD playback, Photo management, playlist/smartlist, devices etc.

This would make Media Center less complex and may even remove the extra clicks they are worried about.  It would also make it much easier for the novice user to get started, they would only see what they wanted to see.

It Jaguu is right, I can't wait to see it.

I saw your picture, and I thought I was reading Matt... I was so happy.

I never understood why JRiver staff didn't like tabs. Now, I guess tabs has something to do in new UI.

I keep waiting.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2003, 06:06:57 am »

This thread reminds me of that old game you used to play as kids in school... "Telephone" or something like that.

One person is given a phrase by the teacher. They then repeat that to the next who repeats it to the next, and on and on, until you get to the end. Then you compare the original phrase with what we ended up with.

But then there's people like me who would hear "The rooster crows at dawn." and would turn to the next person and say, "I have 2 frogs living in my bathtub."

Our teacher always wondered if she was teaching the special ed class...

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2003, 06:14:17 am »

I never understood why JRiver staff didn't like tabs. Now, I guess tabs has something to do in new UI.

Tab Tab Tab Tab ...
(I don't know if tabs are the final solution for a clean GUI in every case ... but I love them ;) )

This thread reminds me of that old game you used to play as kids in school...

Yeah, but it's fun  ;D

Listening to "Ship Of Fools" from "Vicious Rumors"...

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2003, 07:11:52 am »

Perhaps I should use GPanTroglodytes?

Mmh, you look more like Pan Tr. Verus  :-X

I'm thinking about changing my nick to SanSaru ;D

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2003, 08:40:27 am »

Some chimps collect wooden sticks just to beat each other with it  ;D