INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we convert media only when we need to?  (Read 1246 times)

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
Can we convert media only when we need to?
« on: August 05, 2003, 03:37:59 pm »

I have an iPod and when I want to put OGG files on it I use the option to force a conversion.  Sometimes I queue up a mixture of MP3 and OGG files to upload to the iPod at one time.

Is there a way to only convert the OGG files to MP3 instead of converting both the MP3s and the OGG file when uploading a mixture?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can we convert media only when we need to?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 04:00:47 pm »

Hi Jonathan,
That's a good idea.  If we're not doing it, that is a bug.  Report it in the bug thread if it's the case.

Jim

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 05:19:29 am »

If you have a mixture of file types (i.e ogg and mp3) and transfer them to the iPod, the determination of which files will convert is based on your selection of the conversion type. For example if you select to convert files to mp3 192 kbps and you transfer a mixture of songs, the ogg files will convert and any mp3 songs with a bitrate higher than 192 kbps will convert. MP3 files at 192 or lower will be skipped during the conversion process.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 07:50:23 am »

It will go by whatever numerical value you see in the 'Bitrate' field.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 08:37:29 am »

So let me see if I have this right. If I set the conversion rate to 320KBPS or VBR High, then MP3s that are encoded at some setting less than conversion rate, they will not be converted and will be uploaded to the iPod unchanged? Is this correct?

How about a checkbox that says "ignore bitrates" in the conversion setup.

Speaking about conversion, as it sits right now, almost every single CD that I have ripped with MC9 has at least one OGG file that causes the conversion process to crash MC9 and I have to start over again. The bad files cause the crash every time and if I skip them I can get the rest of the CD to convert. Do you guys want one of these files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up