INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outlook - minimize to sys tray REG HACK  (Read 3648 times)

gkerber

Outlook - minimize to sys tray REG HACK
« on: August 04, 2003, 06:06:45 pm »

Outlook – Minimize to Tray

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/10.0/Outlook/Preferences

With Preferences opened in the left pane, right click anywhere in the right page and choose DWORD Value.  Type MinToTray and press ENTER to give your new icon a name.  Now double-click the MinToTray icon, enter 1 in the ‘value data’ field and press ENTER.

It Outlook is running, exit and restart it.

The next time you minimize Outlook it will disappear from the taskbar and appear as a tray icon.  Neat.

Thanks to an article in PC World.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Outlook - minimize to sys tray REG HACK
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 12:30:54 am »

Which version of Outlook? Outlook 2000 or Outlook XP?
I tried once a similar reg hack, but did not work with Outlook 2000!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 01:20:11 am »

It only works in OutlookXP.
Seems as Microsoft first wanted to ad this feature in their newest Outlook Version but then they didn't. But they at least left this registry hack, wich works fine. I'm using it since one year.

By the way: Why is this topic in the JRiver Media Center forum?

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 05:31:13 am »

worked for me...Outlook XP on XP...

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 05:39:51 am »

> Why is this topic in the JRiver Media Center forum?

Why not? It's good, useful info (though I only use Outlook Express and Thunderbird). You'll find virtually anything goes here. You can even ask Dragyn about the universe and physics...he's Mr. Know-It-All (just ask him). Makes hanging out here fun.

10-27

nila

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 05:47:08 am »

yeah - we like to talk about general chit chat to liven things up and make them a bit more interesting and fun.

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 06:40:02 am »

And no new build since Thursday, we've got to keep ourselves entertained somehow....

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 07:22:35 am »

Seems as Microsoft first wanted to ad this feature in their newest Outlook Version but then they didn't.

This "feature" (hide when minimized) is built into Outlook 2003.  For those that haven't seen it, I think you'll be impressed with Office 2003...  especially Outlook.

Scott-

gkerber

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 07:35:49 am »

This "feature" (hide when minimized) is built into Outlook 2003.  For those that haven't seen it, I think you'll be impressed with Office 2003...  especially Outlook.

Scott-

It Office 2003 out yet?  I have an MSDN account and have not seen anything but the beta discs so far.

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 07:44:40 am »

Office 2003 is still not out - I heard end of quarter, but I'm not holding my breath.  There's a Technical Refresh on the Beta2, so it's pretty stable.  I've been using it for a month with no trouble.

Scott-

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 08:37:35 am »

I have to agree, Outlook 2003 (and the rest of the suite), is fantastic.   Nearly every issue I had with previous versions of Outlook has been answered, it has rarely crashed on me, and has some outstanding new features and a nifty new UI.  

I've been using it for a few months now and the very few complaints I have are exceedingly minor.
Toast goes in the toaster.

gkerber

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 08:51:35 am »

Well, I may have to dig out my MSDN discs for it and load it and see how it all looks.  I think I only got the the first beta set, I'll look, I get so many msdn discs, I don't alway pay close attention to what I get, I just date the box and put it in a drawer.

I *have* to use Outlook at the office, I use Netscape mail at home, I like it much better (before I've looked at Outlook 2003).

I've have recently loaded Outlook at home, just to use it's calander function and I keep shutting down the program, instead of minimizing it, and then of course, with the program shut down, there are no reminders.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 12:57:44 pm »

By the way, Outlook 2003 uses a great function that I have always wanted....it gives you a pop-up window above the system tray when new mail arrives, giving you title, sender, etc, and you can click the popup to open the email.  I have Outlook 2000 on Win XP right now and I downloaded an excellent plugin that does this for you (plus it minimizes to the system tray)...it's called Glance for Outlook, just do a Google search. It'll boot with Windows. It's one of the best plugins I've ever downloaded for any program (right up there with King's cover art finder :-)

gkerber, this plugin will run all of Outlook from the system tray, calender reminders, etc. I don't know if that will help you.....

Just thought some of you Outlook 2000 users would benefit from it....at least until 2003 arrives. I agree, the new Office is pretty nice, especially Outlook...

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

gkerber

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 01:38:36 pm »

By the way, Outlook 2003 uses a great function that I have always wanted....it gives you a pop-up window above the system tray when new mail arrives, giving you title, sender, etc, and you can click the popup to open the email.  I have Outlook 2000 on Win XP right now and I downloaded an excellent plugin that does this for you (plus it minimizes to the system tray)...it's called Glance for Outlook, just do a Google search. It'll boot with Windows. It's one of the best plugins I've ever downloaded for any program (right up there with King's cover art finder :-)

gkerber, this plugin will run all of Outlook from the system tray, calender reminders, etc. I don't know if that will help you.....

Just thought some of you Outlook 2000 users would benefit from it....at least until 2003 arrives. I agree, the new Office is pretty nice, especially Outlook...

crow

What version of Glance are you running?  I downloaded the latest, which requires the .NET framework.  I get constant .net unhandled exceptions from and other problems.  Are the earlier versions (which are still available) any good?  It seems good so far, only it doesn't work right.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 04:28:55 pm »

I am running version 2.0 build 183, and it has worked perfectly for me since I downloaded it months ago. I've never looked for an update because it works so well. I am running Win XP Pro and Outlook 2000....

The version that I am using is there on the website as you mentioned. Here's the link for quick reference...
http://www.idviate.com/

Good luck with it, it's a great plugin!

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

gkerber

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2003, 04:48:32 pm »

I am running version 2.0 build 183, and it has worked perfectly for me since I downloaded it months ago. I've never looked for an update because it works so well. I am running Win XP Pro and Outlook 2000....

The version that I am using is there on the website as you mentioned. Here's the link for quick reference...
http://www.idviate.com/

Good luck with it, it's a great plugin!

crow

Wow, the version you use is 2 back from the latest.  I tried it and it works great, gotta wonder about the latest versions...

Thanks, this is exactly what i'm looking for.  With Glance running, I cannot accidently shutdown Outlook.  Cool.

Funny the registry thing I posted here was okay, and I though well worth the price of the PC World magazine for it.  Now that I posted it here, and you told me about Glance, it's really worth the price of the magazine.  Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up