INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I connect android jremote to laptop  (Read 3238 times)

Doonanaudio

• New to all this but loving it!!!!
How do I connect android jremote to laptop
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »

HI,
I am trying to link my android based jremote to my windows based laptop (where I have Media Center) without having to utilize an internet connection. Each have wifi capability.
What is the easiest way to do this? I am not all that technically minded  :)
Thanks,
Bruce

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I connect android jremote to laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 12:20:01 am »

In JRemote, enter the IP address of the PC instead of the Access Key.

Welcome to the forum.

Doonanaudio

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:46:02 am »

HI Jim,
Thanks for your response. I do not have a local wifi network available. I did enter the ip address of the laptop into jremote on my android tablet but it does not connect so I am clearly got something wrong either in the media center or on the tablet. Is there anything that I should check?
Regards, Bruce

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:25:51 am »

You need to have a Wi-Fi network in order to use JRemote.

JackTheWolf

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:04:29 pm »

HI Jim,
Thanks for your response. I do not have a local wifi network available. I did enter the ip address of the laptop into jremote on my android tablet but it does not connect so I am clearly got something wrong either in the media center or on the tablet. Is there anything that I should check?
Regards, Bruce

Hello, just seeing if I can lend a hand. You said you have an IP on your laptop without a local wifi network?
What's your setup?

It's possible to make an AD-HOC connection (a wifi hotspot of sorts) from your laptop, but mobile phones usually have problems connecting to those. You can try by following the steps here (has pictures and step-by-step):
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set-ad-hoc-wireless-computer-computer-network

If it doesn't work / phone can't see it, you might need to lookup something like Connectify for your laptop, but you'd have to install the free version and see if your laptop antenna supports it (it will tell you)

Doonanaudio

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:33:49 pm »

HI, I'll try out the suggestions and see what happens. I am also getting a techie to come in and take a look at my home wifi network and check that I have it set up correctly. The main objective is not to use an actual internet connection because of the cost of it on an ongoing basis.
Thanks, Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up