INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Path Questions  (Read 4460 times)

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
Audio Path Questions
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:00 am »

I have a Windows 10 PC connected via USB to a Meridian Director DAC.  I assume for best sound I want to send the purest least molested audio signal I can from Media Center to the DAC, correct?  (Note I recently upgraded to MC 22)

Under Audio Device my options include:
•   Default Audio (Direct Sound)
•   Classe SSP 801 (Interฎ) Display Audio (WASPI)
•   Meridian Director USB DAC audio (WASPI)
•   Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) (WASPI)
•   Meridian Director Output (Kernel Streaming)
•   Classe SSP801 (Intelฎ Display Audio) (Direct Sound)
•   Meridian Director USB DAC Audio (Direct Sound)
•   Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) (Direct Sound)
•   Disk Writer
•   Network Streamer
•   Null Output

Note there are no ASIO options available in the list above.

Am I correct in assuming Kernel Streaming produces the purest audio stream to the Meridian DAC?

Am I correct in assuming I do want Media Center to report I have a “direct connection”?

What is the distinction between “Direct Sound” listed in some of the audio path descriptions above and “direct connection” as reported in the MC Audio Path Indicator?

At present I have selected Meridian Director Output (Kernel Streaming).  It appears to be working and sounding fine.  The sampling frequency indicators on the DAC correspond with the correct sample rates 44/48K, 96K and 192K of the selected audio files.   
Media Center reports sample rate "xx kHz, 24 bit, 2ch using Kernel Streaming (direct connection)".

If My Meridian Director DAC accepts Kernel Streaming via USB from my computer, is the any reason/advantage to download ASIO4All and switch to ASIO output?

If I Download ASIO4All will ASIO automatically show up as an output option in the Audio Device Section of MC?

I ask this because previously I was using ASIO, but computer issues forced me to perform a reset which resulted in losing all of my JRiver Media Center settings.  (All of my precious HD Tracks files remained intact) I started using MC so long ago I have forgotten how I had set it up originally.

Thanks for your input!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio Path Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:37:57 am »

This is the one you should choose:

Meridian Director USB DAC audio (WASAPI)

To use ASIO, you would need a driver from your manufacturer, but WASAPI is fine.

ASIO4All is not recommended.  It is just a wrapper around Kernel Streaming.

The wiki has a topic called Audio Setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up