INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Categories and Playlists vanished  (Read 1017 times)

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Categories and Playlists vanished
« on: August 04, 2003, 12:55:19 pm »

After a recent crash of MC 9.0.180, I have lost all my playlists and all my categories (except the built in auto smartlists). I have about 7000 tracks all meticulously categorised. All the tracks are there even those recently imported/ripped, so the library must be intact.

What can I do to retrieve my playlists. I did backup my library a couple of months ago but don't want to restore it unless I have to as I've imported and categorised quite a lot of stuff since then.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jleerigby

Re: Categories and Playlists vanished
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 01:55:56 pm »

don't want to restore it unless I have to as I've imported and categorised quite a lot of stuff since then.  

If you've stored the tags in the files (Tools>Options>General>Update Tags when file info changes) then you will be safe to restore your library thereby bringing your playlists back after which you can clear all the tracks and reimport them.  Back up your current library first. Some tags will not be stored in the files despite you setting the option.  To check if they are use the properties pane and change the view to 'Format' then check a selection of files.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 02:19:13 pm »

Sorry.  My advice is not quite correct.  Restoring your library will get your playlists back but as soon as you clear all the files your playlists will be empty.  I can think of an easy workaround unless someone can come up with a simpler suggestion:

1. Back up library (just in case)
2. Restore library to get playlists back
3. Create a new tag field for playlists
4. Access each playlist and tag each track using the new field (e.g. with the playlist name).  Make sure you have it set to update tags in files and use the properties window like I said before to make sure they are stored in the files after you've tagged.
5. Clear all tracks from your library and re-import
6. Find all the files for each playlist by setting a rule that points at the tag you just created.  Easiest way is to create a view scheme with a rule for MyNewTagField (whatever it is) <> blank.  Then add a column for MyNewTagField.  Then just pick them out using the panes and add them back into your playlists.

One snag with this hurriedly thought up solution:  There's an issue if a file is in more than one playlist as this solution will only put it back in one of them.  I'm sure someone out there can come up with an easier solution though.

nila

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 02:33:17 pm »

Also,
you can try creating a new library and cloning all the info from the current one to the new one (creating a backup as such), then restore your older one, export all the playlists to real files, switch to your old library clone and importing all the playlists. You can then either just live with the imported playlists or you can select all the files in each playlist and send them to newly created internal playlists inside of MC to set up your own structuring again.

Also - send a copy of your library to Matt @ jriver.com

I mentioned this bug a while back where playlists were bieng lost and he said if he could get more info on it happening he could try solve it. He might be able to fix it if he gets hold of your library to try see whats going wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up