INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with settings for Audioquest Dragonfly (1.5) Black DAC on MC21  (Read 18588 times)

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member

I have a (recent) Dragonfly Black (1.5) attached to a USB port and fed to my hifi. The PC is running Windows 7.

I have it set up as WASAPI with the default output set to 24 bit, 96000 Hz (the max the Dragonfly supports) and Exclusive mode checked in the Control Panel Settings.

I have Open device for exclusive access checked, bit depth automatic, and buffering to 250ms under device settings in MC.

Under DSP Studio box I have Output encoding set to None, and Channels to 2 (stereo).

I initially had Sample rates, 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 set to No Change, however when trying to play anything above 44.1 the dragonfly switches to the correct colour, MC appear to play, but I get no sound. If I set the Output to the same Input rate I get the same response.

If I have everything set to be converted to 44.1 it works fine but obviously I can't take advantage of my hi-res files.

I have another system in the house which is Mac based and tried the Dragonfly on that and it works fine on all sample rates. Hence I think this is a Windows/MC 21 config problem, but I'm at a loss how to remedy the situation.

I'm relatively new to MC so would appreciate any advice from more experienced users.

many thanks

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with settings for Audioquest Dragonfly (1.5) Black DAC on MC21
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:12:25 am »

My nephew bought a Dragonfly (earlier version) that exhibited exactly the same symptoms. He took it back to the store, they replaced it, and the replacement worked. I think you have a defective Dragonfly.

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 06:37:13 pm »

I read something like that on some other posts but Audioquest don't have much in the way of online support. I've beeing trying all sorts of configurations but nothing seems to work over 44.1.

Bit disappointed that there hasn't been any other interest from the forum. So I am not sire how to proceed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:06:12 pm »

Did you try calling Audioquest?  They do a good job, in my opinion.  Post again here if that doesn't work.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 12:15:03 pm »

Even if you bought it online there must be a return procedure. It's not a software or configuration issue. Your Dragonfly is defective and you need to replace it.

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 04:44:00 am »

I'm still not convinced this is a defective Dragonfly problem. The Dragonfly works on my Macbook Air with MC fine for all my files.

I've also just downloaded Foobar to try out on my Windows 7 PC and it appears to work with the Dragonfly for all file types and bit depths, although I don't know the program well enough to know what is going on under the hood.

I can't find any UK support number for Audioquest on there web site either?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 06:38:36 am »

Did you try turning off all DSP in DSP Studio?

Try DirectSound just to test.

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 12:46:02 pm »

If you mean unchecking the Output Format checkbox in DSP studio, then yes, I have tried that, but the response is the same.

(Unrelated to the Output format checkbox) I have found however that I can play 16-bit 48hz files, but anything above this is muted.

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 04:13:29 pm »

I have the same problem with my DragonFly Black 1.5 using WASAPI and similar config as the OP.

Playing tracks that switches from 44.1 -> 48 -> 88.2 -> 96 works, but switching tracks from 96 -> 88.2 -> 48 -> 44.1 does not.

Likewise other combos going "up" in sample rate, e.g. 44.1 -> 96 works as well and likewise switching down from e.g. 88.2 -> 44.1 does not.

Hitting Stop followed by Start restarts playback.

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 01:31:24 pm »

A few more tests, the above test was on my old work laptop which has MC19 installed.
Tried today on my home rig with MC21 build 90. For Exclusive WASAPI,  I can only get 96k to work, anything else results in a "Can't play 44.1 2ch" etc message unless I convert everything to 96 in the DSP Studio. Changing bit depth had no effect, neither did event style on/off.

Happened to have MC17 installed as well. AS long as I selected a bit depth of 24, I could play any sample rate and switch in any order.

Also tried with Kodi configured for WASAPI exclusive. I could play any sample rate and switch between sample rates without any issue.

Note that the Dragonfly changes LED color depending on the sample rate so it is easy to confirm what sample rate it receives, which it did with MC17 and Kodi.

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:11 am »

Update: After several long discussions with Audioquest (who were quite helpful) they decided that my Dragonfly was probably defective. They seemed a little miffed as this was the first reported defective Dragonfly Black. I was instructed to return the original to the supplier and obtain a replacement.

That replacement arrived a couple of days ago and today I've been testing it on my Windows 7/MC 21.0.90 system; unfortunately with exactly the same response.

After the initial installment the Dragonfly seemed to work great at 44.1, 48, 88.2 , 96 and 192. However, after the first and any subsequent reboots it only works at 44.1. Any other frequency work for a second or so then the sound truncates. The track appears to play in MC the Dragonfly change to the right colour but with no sound.

I've tried the Dragonfly using WASAPI and Kernal streaming, but both exhibit the same symptoms. Direct Sound works, but that obviously just uses the Windows sound driver. If I set to down-sample to 44.1 everything works but obviously I can't take advantage of the Hi-res files.

I've also tried several other USB ports but with the same response; however, my system will not recognize the Dragonfly on a USB 2 port, only USB 3 either direct on via a hub.

FYI: I also own a Chord Mojo which I use on my main system in another part of the house. I've tried it on the MC21/Windows 7 system and it works just fine.

I've also gained a little more experience with Foobar now and have installed the WASAPI (push) plug-in and the dragonfly appears to work just fine with Foobar. If I down-sample my 192 files to 96 they work fine too. All suggesting that the Dragonfly is fine.

I'm pretty convinced now that MC is the culprit here or there is some conflict with MC and the Dragonfly. Not sure where to go now, does anybody have any suggestions other than saving up for a second mojo?

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:29 am »

I don't understand enough about digital audio to address your questions directly, but maybe own experience will help somehow.

I have a new Dragonfly Black 1.5, installed just over a week ago, and it appears to me to be working perfectly. I'm using it with Windows 10 and the latest stable release of MC 22. I have just a few high-resolution files (no higher than 96), but they seem to play just fine and they sound wonderfully clear. As it should, the Dragonfly's light changes from green to amber when these files play. Perhaps you should try to upgrade MC?

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 09:53:46 am »

Mm .. hadn't thought of that. However, I've just downloaded and installed MC22 with mixed results.

Initially it seemed to work. I can play back 96, 48 & 44.1 files under WASAPI or Kernal Streaming without any problems. However, when I tried 82.2 it played for a few seconds then reverted to the same situation as above, no sound with anything other than 44.1.  If I then swap to WASAPI from Kernal Streaming (or vice -vers) it starts working again, until I play a 88.2 file.

Maybe I've got some bad 88.2 files which upset the DragonFly.

I've just set MC to upscale 88.2 to 96 and it's seems to work. Not ideal but I guess it will have to be a an acceptable work-around.

Need to test further so will post results later.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 10:10:02 am »

I've also tried several other USB ports but with the same response; however, my system will not recognize the Dragonfly on a USB 2 port, only USB 3 either direct on via a hub.

Well that's pretty weird isn't it?  NONE of your USB2 ports work with the DF?  That sounds like a problem.  I've also read some things about USB3 ports not working correctly with USB2 devices under Windows.  This could be your issue.

Have you tried disabling power management on your USB2 ports?  I've read a few things about this causing problems with USB based DACs under windows.  Maybe the power management is what is keeping your DF from being detected.

Until you can make the DF work with a USB2 port, I would suspect that either you have broken USB ports, or an OS/driver configuration issue.

Brian.

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 11:57:13 am »

Just to update everyone who's helped. I'm afraid I've not got any further forward with the dragonfly black (1.5) and to be honest, have reached the end of my tether. It will be sold ebay and I'll go with a different solution.

I get intermittent success. Sometime it works after a reboot, but then it will suddenly stop playing any hi-res files. There's some conflict going on somewhere but I'm now pretty fed up trying to find out what causes it. Time to move on.

Brian - I have no problems with any other devices on my USB 2.0 ports and can plug & play as normal, but my PC doesn't see the dragonfly unless it's on a USB 3 port. Don't know why.

I guess the Dragonfly was never designed to be run from a PC and to be honest when it does work it doesn't match the sound from my 14 year old CD player and is a long way behind the Mojo and the DAC on my Audiolab 8200CD. I'm now looking to buy another 8200CD (or CDQ).

thanks for all the suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 01:39:42 pm »

Did you try an exchange with Audioquest?

bluesplayer1957

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 02:29:52 pm »

Yes, this is the second Audioquest Dragonfly black. It suffered exactly the same problems of the first one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up