INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo cant connect to iMac server  (Read 6887 times)

Fast Eddie

• Recent member
Gizmo cant connect to iMac server
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »

Hi guys. Trying to connect android to my iMac server to be used as a controller - both are on my home network. I have configured as per the online instructions using the access key, but Gizmo cannot connect even though in its search it tries the correct IP address for the server. Any ideas please?  Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo cant connect to iMac server
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:44:20 am »

You might have the Apple firewall enabled.

System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Firewall 

Try turning it off as a test.

Brian.

Fast Eddie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:02:39 pm »

Thanks Brian.  I have tried with the firewall on and off and with MC as an exception.  I have also tried with and without VPN (which i use on both the iMac and the Android). Unfortunately still no connection.  Further thoughts gratefully received.....

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:11:18 pm »

On the iMac itself, open a web browser and try this address:

http://localhost:52199

That's the port that MC listens on and should give you a web page.  If that works, you'll know that MC is listening.  If not, there's something else going on.

Brian.

Fast Eddie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »

Hi Brian.  When I do that I get:  "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:52199"  However when I open MC21 and repeat it a web page (search page) opens and then I am asked via popup if I will accept incoming connections from MC21 - to which I agreed (even though it is an exception in the firewall security).  Gizmo will still not work on the Android.
If I repeat with the firewall disabled and MC21 running then I get a JRiver Library Server page.  If I quit MC21 and repeat then I get the "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:52199" message.

If I type http://localhost:52199/Gizmo/ then I get a Gizmo app on my iMac that works either locally on the iMac or from the iMac to my DAC, etc.

Being a non tech I have no idea what all this means but hopefully this is giving you info to help.

Thanks again I appreciate your time.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:16:01 pm »

MC21 needs to be running for gizmo to control it.  So, fire up MC21, keep the firewall disabled, and try to connect from Gizmo.  That should work.

Brian.

Fast Eddie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:43 pm »

No go I am afraid Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 10:18:07 pm »

I don't have enough information to help.  Give me something to work with and I can try to help you.

Brian.

Fast Eddie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 10:29:00 pm »

Hi Brian. I apologise for not being more clear......If I do what you asked then I still get the message "There was a problem connecting to the server.  Please double check that you have entered the correct key and that the server and your connection are working".
I have checked the server key numerous times which i got from: tools/options/media network/

Is there any other info that I can give you?  I am not a tech so I dont really have any idea of what may be useful. Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 10:36:02 pm »

I would try rebooting the Android device and trying again.  If that fails, I wonder if your Mac and Android are on the same network.

Sometimes, Wifi routers have split networks, so that there is a guest network and a "normal" network.  The guest network can't see the computers on the normal network.

You could try a web browser on the android with the IP address of your Mac and that same port as before.  As an example:

192.168.1.100:52199

Your IP address will probably be different.

You could also check the IP address on both the Mac and the Android and compare them.  If they aren't in the same range, the router might be isolating them from each other, as I outlined above.

These kinds of issues are sometimes tough to diagnose remotely.

It's quite late here and I'm going to bed.  Good luck to you!

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 07:02:36 am »

Check again for a typo in the access key.  Use copy and paste if possible. 

Generate a new access key if necessary.

Fast Eddie

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »

Guys thanks for your ideas.  I cant get back to this for a couple of days and will let you know then how I go.

Thank you again for helping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up