INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi on mSD Card -- Available Now  (Read 126282 times)

larichardson73

• Recent member
Re: IdPi on mSD Card -- Available Now
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2017, 11:17:03 am »

Bob.  Not sure exactly where P4 is.  Here is a picture of the HiFiBerry I bought.  

I have to say, once the music starts playing, it sounds fantastic!  I don't think I could get this little Bose speaker to sound any better.   ;D  Prior to this, I was streaming via Bubble UpnUp to a Google Chromecast Audio, but got tired of the lack of gapless playback.  The IdPi gives me a lot more control.  I will likely buy another one, along with a hifiberry with optical output, to connect to a receiver I have in the living room.

So, I ordered a new power supply.  We'll see if that helps with the buzzing sound.

A couple things to note.  When JRiver is "engaged", there is no buzzing sound.  What I mean is, as soon as a track starts to play, the buzzing stops.  And, if I PAUSE playback, the buzzing does not return.  However if I STOP playback, the buzzing returns after a couple seconds.  Hope that makes sense.

In addition, the Bose speaker is continuously mounted on a charging dock.  If I take it off the dock, the buzzing stops.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2017, 11:50:13 am »

Taking it off the dock and having the buzz go away points to a ground loop or power supply issue.

blgentry

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:46 pm »

I'd bet a little bit of money that the hifi berry is "going to sleep" on it's analog output.  What I mean is, when you are playing music, the analog output's "hot" pin has voltage on it that varies with the music.  When you have the music paused, the hot pin has 0 Volts on it.

But when you press stop, the hifiberry must be floating that hot pin so that it doesn't have 0 Volts, it doesn't have music, it's just "floating" with nothing on it.  Which means it can pick up hum or buzz from sources of radiated fields, like the ones that come from power cables or power lines.

My Android Tablet (in my car) does this after a long enough time out of not playing music.  As soon as I wake it up, the weird sounds disappear and I get silence again.

All this being said, I'm not sure what the solution to this would be.  Other than always pressing pause instead of stop?

Good luck,

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:45 pm »

I'd bet a little bit of money that the hifi berry is "going to sleep" on it's analog output.  What I mean is, when you are playing music, the analog output's "hot" pin has voltage on it that varies with the music.  When you have the music paused, the hot pin has 0 Volts on it.

But when you press stop, the hifiberry must be floating that hot pin so that it doesn't have 0 Volts, it doesn't have music, it's just "floating" with nothing on it.  Which means it can pick up hum or buzz from sources of radiated fields, like the ones that come from power cables or power lines.

My Android Tablet (in my car) does this after a long enough time out of not playing music.  As soon as I wake it up, the weird sounds disappear and I get silence again.

All this being said, I'm not sure what the solution to this would be.  Other than always pressing pause instead of stop?

Good luck,

Brian.
An interesting theory.
If you set MC to play gapless (and don't check the "strip silence") it doesn't close the audio device until the second stop I believe.
You could try this...

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2017, 10:03:13 pm »

An interesting theory.
If you set MC to play gapless (and don't check the "strip silence") it doesn't close the audio device until the second stop I believe.
You could try this...
Thanks for your help guys. That makes sense to me. It seems like it has something to do with the HiFiBerry being "engaged" or not. I have it set to gapless playback, and strip silence is unchecked. Another thing I've noticed is that if there is a lot of transcoding going on on the server side, like converting a DSD file to 88.2khz, there is sometimes a lengthy pause before the track starts playing, and sometimes the buzzing will come back then.
It's really not that big of a deal. As long as there is music playing, it sounds great, and the noise isn't really that loud.
I was wondering if somehow I made the HiFiBerry the default sound device for the Pi as a whole, and not just MC, if that would make a difference.?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2017, 10:05:40 pm »

But I'm not sure if that's possible with the IdPi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2017, 06:00:47 am »

But I'm not sure if that's possible with the IdPi

Please turn the Tapatalk ad off.  It's in the TT settings for signature.

dominique-tanguy

• Recent member
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:03 am »

Hi,

Currently trying to install JRiver ID on a Raspberry 3. I was trying to set up external drive (a NAS), and the text window disappeared from screen. The GUI is there, but does not respond. I am a bit hesitant to pull the usb power supply to reboot... What can I do?

Dominqiue

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2017, 10:11:23 am »

Pull the power.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »

I've had the IdPi set up for a few days.  I'm using it as DLNA renderer, and everything has been working well.  However, today I noticed that gapless playback was not working.  Or, it was working sometimes, but not others.  Mostly it wasn't working. 
Gapless playback is selected on the IdPi.  Bitstreaming is off.  PreBuffering is set to 6 seconds.  The server was set to "Mode: Specified Output Format", and the format was "PCM 24bit".  Also, anything higher than 96khz is downsampled to either 96 or 88.2khz.  On the renderer side, I am using volume leveling, dynamic volume, and the equalizer.
So, I messed with a few things, to no avail.  Then I switched the output format to "PCM L24 No Header", and that seemed to fix the problem. 
This is fine.  I'm just wondering why this makes a difference.  I guess I thought that any output format would work when MC was used as the renderer, as long as the playback device supported the bit depth and sample rate. 

In addition, on the list of available audio devices on the IdPi, I am wondering what the references to "Without any conversions", and "With all software conversions" are.

Thanks for any help.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:09 am »

I've had the IdPi set up for a few days.  I'm using it as DLNA renderer, and everything has been working well.  However, today I noticed that gapless playback was not working.  Or, it was working sometimes, but not others.  Mostly it wasn't working. 
Gapless playback is selected on the IdPi.  Bitstreaming is off.  PreBuffering is set to 6 seconds.  The server was set to "Mode: Specified Output Format", and the format was "PCM 24bit".  Also, anything higher than 96khz is downsampled to either 96 or 88.2khz.  On the renderer side, I am using volume leveling, dynamic volume, and the equalizer.
So, I messed with a few things, to no avail.  Then I switched the output format to "PCM L24 No Header", and that seemed to fix the problem. 
This is fine.  I'm just wondering why this makes a difference.  I guess I thought that any output format would work when MC was used as the renderer, as long as the playback device supported the bit depth and sample rate. 

In addition, on the list of available audio devices on the IdPi, I am wondering what the references to "Without any conversions", and "With all software conversions" are.

Thanks for any help.

That's interesting. I would not think that switching from PCM 24 bit to PCM L24 no header would make a difference.
The difference in the format is that the former is little endian and has a wave header on it and the later does not have a wave header and is big endian. In the no header case all of the information about the file being played is specified in the DLNA content directory information.

I'd like to set up a test here. What are you using for a server?

As far as the audio devices on the Pi are concerned, you should use the "Without any conversions" entries for whatever device you are using for output since the IdPi in this case is a dedicated renderer. If you play material with sample rates out of range of the output device you should use MC's DSP studio to address that and that appears to be what you are doing.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2017, 11:43:40 am »

That's interesting. I would not think that switching from PCM 24 bit to PCM L24 no header would make a difference.
The difference in the format is that the former is little endian and has a wave header on it and the later does not have a wave header and is big endian. In the no header case all of the information about the file being played is specified in the DLNA content directory information.

I'd like to set up a test here. What are you using for a server?

As far as the audio devices on the Pi are concerned, you should use the "Without any conversions" entries for whatever device you are using for output since the IdPi in this case is a dedicated renderer. If you play material with sample rates out of range of the output device you should use MC's DSP studio to address that and that appears to be what you are doing.
Thanks Bob. I am using a dedicated PC running Windows 10 for a server.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2017, 12:18:16 pm »

What was really strange was that gapless playback was working some of the time, but not all of the time. Most of the time it wasn't working. In addition, it seemed that it was dependent on the tracks being played. What I mean is that the tracks that played gapless were the same tracks each time. I was listening to a live Grateful Dead release. Most of the tracks would play with a gap in between them, but there were a few that would play gapless, and they were the same ones every time. I tested another album less extensively, so that and it was the same thing. Some would play gapless, and some not.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2017, 12:30:06 pm »

Another note. I've only had the IdPi set up for a few days. It is hard for me to say for sure whether the lack of gapless play always existed, or whether it developed all of a sudden. I had been mostly listening to playlists, and albums I was less familiar with. So, it could have been that gapless play had never worked, and I just didn't notice it. However, my sense is that I would have noticed it, and it was something that started happening all of a sudden. I have the IdPi on a back patio, and I started to think that maybe the heat was affecting it's performance. However, I brought the whole rig inside, and let it cool down, and the same problems persisted. The only thing that made a difference was switching to L24 No Header. Gapless is working great since then.
At any rate, I am using a dedicated PC running MC 22 as a server. It is running a "generic dlna" server. The Idpi is connected wirelessly. Let me know if there's any other info you need.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2017, 12:52:39 pm »

Another note. I've only had the IdPi set up for a few days. It is hard for me to say for sure whether the lack of gapless play always existed, or whether it developed all of a sudden. I had been mostly listening to playlists, and albums I was less familiar with. So, it could have been that gapless play had never worked, and I just didn't notice it. However, my sense is that I would have noticed it, and it was something that started happening all of a sudden. I have the IdPi on a back patio, and I started to think that maybe the heat was affecting it's performance. However, I brought the whole rig inside, and let it cool down, and the same problems persisted. The only thing that made a difference was switching to L24 No Header. Gapless is working great since then.
At any rate, I am using a dedicated PC running MC 22 as a server. It is running a "generic dlna" server. The Idpi is connected wirelessly. Let me know if there's any other info you need.
Thanks.
The original format of your source material before being converted would be good to know...

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:29 pm »

Original Source files were from CD rips.  FLAC files, 16bit, 44.1khz. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2017, 03:09:29 pm »

Verified. Looking at it...

wildsam

• Recent member
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2017, 08:31:35 am »

Any chance the idPi will work with this hardware?
https://allo.com/sparky/sparky-sbc.html

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2017, 09:28:29 am »

Verified. Looking at it...
Fixed in the next build. That was a nice find, thanks...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2017, 09:31:14 am »

Any chance the idPi will work with this hardware?
https://allo.com/sparky/sparky-sbc.html
My guess would be not.
I'm thinking the proprietary chipset setup in the Rpi boot won't work on another board.

You could do it yourself though. If you install debian on that board and it supports 24 bit video, MC should run on it.

wildsam

• Recent member
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2017, 10:28:40 am »

My guess would be not.
I'm thinking the proprietary chipset setup in the Rpi boot won't work on another board.

You could do it yourself though. If you install debian on that board and it supports 24 bit video, MC should run on it.
Ok thanks Bob

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Id Pi mSD -- Release September 15th
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2017, 06:17:07 am »

We ship it on a card so it can be inserted in a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and just boot.  We may make it available to download in the future.

Any news on the download version? It's a little silly to have to order the card and wait till it is shipped from the US to Europe, not to mention the extra charges.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2017, 07:10:49 am »

It may seem silly, but it eliminates any problems you might have with the download and setup of the card.  For now, we're just doing what works.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »

Fixed in the next build. That was a nice find, thanks...
Sure. So, is it a problem in the MC for Windows, or the IdPi build?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:56 pm »

Sure. So, is it a problem in the MC for Windows, or the IdPi build?
It was an efficiency issue in the linux build. The Pi just showed it because it's much slower than the typical desktop.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »

I have a push button switch connected to a GPIO port that triggers the shutdown sequence. A small python script is doing the job as wanted. I need to install it on the Id distro. Could you please provide SSH credentials so I can install it?
Thank you

BradATIMA

« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2017, 03:44:08 pm »

I have a push button switch connected to a GPIO port that triggers the shutdown sequence. A small python script is doing the job as wanted. I need to install it on the Id distro. Could you please provide SSH credentials so I can install it?
Thank you

I'm sorry but we can't give that information out. We don't want users making changes to the Id because if something goes wrong it becomes almost impossible for us to diagnose the cause.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2017, 10:59:08 pm »

I'm sorry but we can't give that information out. We don't want users making changes to the Id because if something goes wrong it becomes almost impossible for us to diagnose the cause.
The way I would proceed: save the image of the original card, install the script, then test everything. There is no reason whatsoever that the system could be broken and in case it is I can revert back to the original image. Please take users as adults, that is responsible for what they do. Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2017, 07:03:59 am »

We have a Linux version of MC for people who want to tinker.  The Id is a closed system.  Sorry if that's not what you would like.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2017, 09:39:54 pm »

We have a Linux version of MC for people who want to tinker.  The Id is a closed system.  Sorry if that's not what you would like.
Could I then return the product, get money back, and buy a master license instead?
Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2017, 06:47:29 am »

Please contact deanna at jriver to discuss options.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2017, 07:25:08 am »

Thanks JimH I will

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2017, 05:00:53 am »

Pi not booting?
Brand new Pi3 B, new Id Pi mSD through the mail, connect everything up as instructions, power on, red power LED lights but nothing else, no boot lights, just a steady red LED. Left it a good ten minutes or so but no activity.
New to the whole Pi experience so I may be missing something obvious, have tried removing and re-inserting the mSD but nothing. The power supply is the official version and as I say the power LED lights but I gather there should be other flashing LEDs as well?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2017, 06:33:52 am »

Card upside down?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2017, 06:45:56 am »

Not possible as the protruding tag on the card stops it going in the other way up.

BradATIMA

« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:50 am »

Pi not booting?
Brand new Pi3 B, new Id Pi mSD through the mail, connect everything up as instructions, power on, red power LED lights but nothing else, no boot lights, just a steady red LED. Left it a good ten minutes or so but no activity.
New to the whole Pi experience so I may be missing something obvious, have tried removing and re-inserting the mSD but nothing. The power supply is the official version and as I say the power LED lights but I gather there should be other flashing LEDs as well?

Can you connect it to a monitor when you boot it up and see if it gives you an error message?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:26 am »

Yes was connected to monitor via HDMI - absolutely nothing, completely blank. The monitor's HDMI input and the HDMI cable are both good as have been used recently.

BradATIMA

« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2017, 08:32:15 am »

Double check to make sure the mSD card is inserted all the way. Sometimes they don't go in all the way if they're not aligned just right. There should be a second green LED next to the red power LED. The green LED should indicate activity. It sounds like the green LED does not blink at all, even when you first try to boot it, is this correct?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2017, 08:43:30 am »

Double check to make sure the mSD card is inserted all the way. Sometimes they don't go in all the way if they're not aligned just right. There should be a second green LED next to the red power LED. The green LED should indicate activity. It sounds like the green LED does not blink at all, even when you first try to boot it, is this correct?

Correct, no activity from the green LED at all. Looking at the mSD slot, there is a hole near the far end where you can see the card push two metal strips together (I gather this is what confirms it is in) this does indeed happen.

BradATIMA

« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:20 am »

Is it possible for you to connect the mSD card to a Windows PC? Then you can check to make sure that the mSD card shows a boot partition. It should show up as three partitions, and one of them should be a boot partition. If it does show a boot partition, the problem is probably with the Pi3 itself.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2017, 08:52:41 am »

Is it possible for you to plug the mSD card into a Windows PC? Then you can check to make sure that the mSD card shows a boot partition. It should show up as three partitions, and one of them should be a boot partition. If it does show a boot partition, the problem is probably with the Pi3 itself.

On windows it shows up as three separate drive letters so yes three partitions. What I guess is the boot partition is mainly special characters, ie. not abc type stuff. The other two partitions say that they need to be formatted. Is there something obvious that I can look for that is actually called 'boot' or similar?

BradATIMA

« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2017, 09:00:16 am »

I sent you a private message.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2017, 09:52:43 am »

I sent you a private message.

Sorry, can't reply directly to your most recent as I've reached my limit of three an hour apparently. To answer your question: windows 10. Also I have tried two adapters, a new one that takes both mSD and SD cards and an older one which just takes SD cards but with the extra mSD to SD adapter that came with the IdPi card. Card displays the same on both.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2017, 10:56:59 am »

What is the output of the power supply?

2.0 amps is the required rating.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/hardware-guide/components/power-supply/

Is anything else plugged into the Pi?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2017, 10:59:20 am »

What is the output of the power supply?

5.1V, 2.5A

Plugged in keyboard, mouse, HDMI, ethernet - when it didn't work I also tried it without any of those, just the PSU

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/power-supplies/raspberry-pi-official-universal-power-supply-5.1v-2.5a-black

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:32 am »

It appears that either the Pi or the microSD card is bad.  You don't have another RPi do you?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2017, 11:14:27 am »

It appears that either the Pi or the microSD card is bad.  You don't have another RPi do you?

No, as I said at the top I'm new to the whole Pi experience.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2017, 04:20:20 am »

New card arrived in the post this morning - an hour later I have Miles Davis playing from the library on my PC via the IdPi and a Hifiberry Digi+ out to an external DAC.

Set-up all very straightforward - thank you!

I was curious about the Pi when it came out and have been using MC since 19. To get to a stage now where it is a true plug and play solution is great. Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2017, 06:08:22 am »

New card arrived in the post this morning - an hour later I have Miles Davis playing from the library on my PC via the IdPi and a Hifiberry Digi+ out to an external DAC.

Set-up all very straightforward - thank you!

I was curious about the Pi when it came out and have been using MC since 19. To get to a stage now where it is a true plug and play solution is great. Thanks again.
Thank you!

szczemirek

• Recent member
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2017, 06:45:11 am »

How I can order?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up