INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi on mSD Card -- Available Now  (Read 126357 times)

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
Re: Id Pi on mSD Card -- Available Now
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2016, 10:11:53 am »

Does the Id Pi support usb audio 2.0? How can I find out if my USB DAC is likely to work with it?
I currently use a mac mini with OSX as my renderer, with my usb dac plugged in.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2016, 10:53:35 am »

Most USB DAC's work with it.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »

Hi just got the Id-Pi working using a Hifiberry digi+, I just added the device tree entry to config.txt. I am also using a 2TB Usb3 hard drive, when directly coupled with the raspberry pi 3 and the 7" touch screen the hard drive will cause the rainbow power indicator (upper right hand corner) to flash. Without the display and the drive directly connected I haven't seen any power indicators flashing.

Question:
Does the Id-Pi flash the power indicator on the HDMI screen or not?
How do you change the time?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »

Hi just got the Id-Pi working using a Hifiberry digi+, I just added the device tree entry to config.txt. I am also using a 2TB Usb3 hard drive, when directly coupled with the raspberry pi 3 and the 7" touch screen the hard drive will cause the rainbow power indicator (upper right hand corner) to flash. Without the display and the drive directly connected I haven't seen any power indicators flashing.

Question:
Does the Id-Pi flash the power indicator on the HDMI screen or not?
How do you change the time?
I only see that flash once on boot. You might have to power your USB3 driver externally. I couldn't get that configuration to work here.

The time is set via network time on boot and saved on shutdown. All Id's are set to UTC. You shouldn't need to mess with that. If you are going to run without an internet connection you'll probably want to add a hardware rtc.

framboisepi3

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 09:35:43 am »

I have setup the Raspberry Pi with the micro SD card today.  But when I try to play music from MC22 in my windows PC, the audio output from the Raspberry Pi is to the headphone jack, not to my USB DAC connected.  My USB DAC is Chord Hugo.  When I check the audio device in the menu, I can see the Hugo is connected to USB 1.  How can I choose the audio output?  Or do I need to install driver for the Hugo?  Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:45 am »

I have setup the Raspberry Pi with the micro SD card today.  But when I try to play music from MC22 in my windows PC, the audio output from the Raspberry Pi is to the headphone jack, not to my USB DAC connected.  My USB DAC is Chord Hugo.  When I check the audio device in the menu, I can see the Hugo is connected to USB 1.  How can I choose the audio output?  Or do I need to install driver for the Hugo?  Thanks.
In MC's audio device settings on the Pi you need to select something that corresponds to the USB device. You can use function 10 from the menu to see the audio devices to determine whether or not your DAC is detected.

To change MC's audio device settings you need to access in GUI mode either by switching to that mode from the main menu or connecting to the Pi with remote desktop or vnc and bringing up the iconified MC to change the settings.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 11:26:08 am »

Got the PI ID, it works. I'd like to load my existing library with playlists, album import order, gizmo settings, etc.

I'm having trouble loading an existing MC22 library using the library restore function. Does this currently work?

Thanks!

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 11:31:59 am »

I think I found the problem. pi ID is MC 20. My library is MC22.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish a library restore from an mc22 library?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »

I think I found the problem. pi ID is MC 20. My library is MC22.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish a library restore from an mc22 library?
Is it a linux library? They are not compatible with windows.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:25 pm »

Yes, I was referring to a Windows library.

Do you have to build a library from scratch to move an existing MC server from Windows to Linux?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »

Yes, I was referring to a Windows library.

Do you have to build a library from scratch to move an existing MC server from Windows to Linux?
As of now, yes. Same if you are moving to a Mac.
There have been people who have done it with the path renaming utilities in MC but I'm not sure if that's ever 100% effective.
The main difference is that the path specifiers and "drive" letters are different between the various Operating Systems.
Of course there is also the issue that the database format changed in MC 22 which means you can't move it back to MC 20.
Our target is to eventually move to MC 22 on the Id's. We've used MC 20 up to this point since it was the stable version when the Id was released.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2016, 01:51:10 pm »

As of now, yes. Same if you are moving to a Mac.
There have been people who have done it with the path renaming utilities in MC but I'm not sure if that's ever 100% effective.
The main difference is that the path specifiers and "drive" letters are different between the various Operating Systems.
Of course there is also the issue that the database format changed in MC 22 which means you can't move it back to MC 20.
Our target is to eventually move to MC 22 on the Id's. We've used MC 20 up to this point since it was the stable version when the Id was released.

The MC22 vs. MC20 issue is the real blocker here I suspect.  I've migrated several libraries from windows to Linux and back.  It takes a lot of manual work, but it can be worth it to preserve the information in the library and the settings.  But MC22 libraries are definitely not backwards compatible.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2016, 10:01:13 pm »

Thanks for the informative posts. Makes sense that mc20 to mc22 is the big obstacle here.

I'll wait for the mc22 build to develop before moving my server off windows, and in the meantime and find another use for the device. A car stereo with 2000 albums is in the works!

FrankieV

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2016, 11:40:51 am »

My apologies for asking what may be an obvious question, but I'm still new to all this ;D

I would like to use the Id Pi as a DLNA Renderer.  I have not had consistent success playing music  through my iPhone with JRemote and Gizmo/Panel due to "streaming errors." 

When I am attempting to play music through my iPhone with JRemote or Gizmo/Panel, are they acting as DLNA Renderers or do they use another process?  I'm hoping the Id Pi will be a better solution!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2016, 01:51:14 pm »

My apologies for asking what may be an obvious question, but I'm still new to all this ;D

I would like to use the Id Pi as a DLNA Renderer.  I have not had consistent success playing music  through my iPhone with JRemote and Gizmo/Panel due to "streaming errors." 

When I am attempting to play music through my iPhone with JRemote or Gizmo/Panel, are they acting as DLNA Renderers or do they use another process?  I'm hoping the Id Pi will be a better solution!

Using the Id Pi as a DLNA renderer is designed to answer the issues with playing different file formats, bitdepths, sample rates, gapless playback, etc. This is possible because the MC on the Id Pi can use MC's DSP studio tuned to your output device capabilities.

Your devices using Gizmo and/or JRemote are always somewhat limited in what they can play natively. However, if you turn on transcoding in JRemote you should be able to play anything.

FrankieV

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2016, 04:38:46 pm »

Your devices using Gizmo and/or JRemote are always somewhat limited in what they can play natively. However, if you turn on transcoding in JRemote you should be able to play anything.

Thanks for the tip on transcoding Bob!  I've been struggling with this issue for months!

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 01:07:32 pm »

I have just ordered the IdPi mSD card and a Raspberry Pi3b and while I am awaiting for both to arrive have been reading (cramming) the boards here trying to figure out all the lingo as well as just how this will all work for my situation, which is this:
I have been looking for a way to get my music server duties off my PC for a while now. The USB in my Win10 PC is quite noisy and causes problems to which I am always having to reboot. Problems such as music playing slightly too fast, stuttering, and sometimes harsh sounding occur at times for no apparent reason. These almost always occur when I first open JRiver, at which point I have to reboot and to switch the (win10) power settings to "power saver" to prevent a buzzing sound. My DAC is a Modi Multibit and before that I used the first generation Modi. The issues are the same with either DAC with WASAPI.

What I hope to accomplish is to use the Id card and Raspberry as a music server (or is it player in this case?) where the DAC is completely divorced from my PC and comes from the Raspberry USB instead. I have been reading that this can be accomplished in at least 2 ways. One is stand alone with the Raspberry's Id version of MC playing music without the PC MC even loaded. The other as I understand it, is to still use JRiver on my PC as I normally would, using the same library etc, but instead of its output going to the Modi DAC via the (noisy) PC USB, it goes via the Ethernet cable to the Raspberry which somehow can control the mSD JRiver MC and outputs through that. I don't need to have a screen on the Raspberry once I set it up and I would play music just like I normally would using MC on the Windows PC.
Is this accurate? Would this be the best way to implement the new Raspberry and ID in my case? Keep in mind my PC is close to my amp, and the Raspberry will be in the same location so am not requiring this for a different setup in another room, only for getting my DAC off the noisy PC buss. Eventually I am going to get a NAS or at least another USB HD but will cross that bridge down the line. I only do audio so am not requiring any form of video from the Raspberry.
Another question. I am running V21 of JRiver MC on the PC and am wondering going forward will it be best to get a master license since I will be using 2 different platforms? Up till now I have always upgraded, but am relatively new to JR. There is some confusion as to how the software upgrade works for the card Linux version.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2016, 05:19:44 pm »

I can just give you a quick answer on the license issue.
The Id comes with it's own license, it doesn't need a master.
It's currently on MC 20 but will be upgraded to MC 22 around New Years.
Depending on how you use it you might want to have the same versions on the Id and your PC.
MC 21 and MC 20 databases are compatible but the database changed in MC 22. You might want to wait to update your PC to MC 22 until the Id update to MC 22 comes out.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2016, 06:04:41 pm »

Thanks Bob, good to know about the compatibility with the different versions. I had read somewhere late last night that the Linux and Windows version of the library file is different somehow and might not be compatible. I don't have a ton of playlists and ratings etc set up so wouldn't be too bad to recreate a new library. Hoping that I can just run the mSD MC from my desktop and still use the old library, but right now this is all quite new and don't fully understand the possibilities. .

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »

I have everything in place and am trying to work it with the RPi3b set as a renderer (I believe that is the correct term) by "pushing" tracks from my win10 machine. After a little fiddling with settings I am able see that the music I have selected is playing to MC on the RPi, but the problem that I am at a loss to figure out is this: In the instructions it clearly says to change the audio output mode from HDMI to USB so that a USB DAC will play. The instructions say that there will be 3 choices, USB, HDMI (default) and the internal sound card. What I get however is about 2 dozen choices of which none indicate either HDMI or USB,. Here is picture of the choices I am getting: I am trying to run my Schiit Modi Multibit in USB mode (which has its own power supply). Any ideas on this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2016, 05:15:31 pm »

You could try a search here for ALSA.  Here's an example:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,103274.msg721060.html#msg721060

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2016, 09:07:38 pm »

This is a disappointment.  ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2016, 09:22:28 pm »

I have everything in place and am trying to work it with the RPi3b set as a renderer (I believe that is the correct term) by "pushing" tracks from my win10 machine. After a little fiddling with settings I am able see that the music I have selected is playing to MC on the RPi, but the problem that I am at a loss to figure out is this: In the instructions it clearly says to change the audio output mode from HDMI to USB so that a USB DAC will play. The instructions say that there will be 3 choices, USB, HDMI (default) and the internal sound card. What I get however is about 2 dozen choices of which none indicate either HDMI or USB,. Here is picture of the choices I am getting: I am trying to run my Schiit Modi Multibit in USB mode (which has its own power supply). Any ideas on this?

That list shows how the devices identify themselves to the ALSA drivers on Linux.  The same device will be listed multiple times in the same way that on windows you can address the same device via wasapi, ASIO, kernel streaming, or direct sound.  Most USB DACs identify themselves by name in some way on Linux, but yours hasn't identified itself in a recognizable way. 

My advice would be to select one of the devices with the "hw:" prefix as those represent a direct connection for bit perfect playback.  That narrows it down to three.  My suggestion would be to try hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1, as DEV=0 is normally the integrated on board sound.  If that doesn't work, try the hw: output labelled s2, or the third and final hw: output.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2016, 09:22:46 pm »

Did you try a search?

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 05:40:42 pm »

Did you try a search?
Yes, I searched and got some hits but ended up more confused than ever. It seems like none of the ALSA names are very descriptive as to USB, HDMI etc. I then searched google and found out what ALSA is what it stands for etc. From that it became apparent that I needed to look for info in Linux drivers for my DAC which I didn't fine any on the Schiit web site. So after that I decided to just try some, but then I wasn't sure if I needed to reboot the RPi, my Win10 or both after switching. Then after I tried a new ALSA I found that my RPi MC which I was running as a renderer from the Win10 was running through tract after tract, switching to a new one every couple seconds. Something changed when I tried to change the ALSA audio output. But I was able at some point to pull tracts from the win 10 machine even though there was no output I could see it was playing..

My disappointment I expressed is really my own fault. I was thinking this was going to be easy! It started out that way, the ID loaded perfectly, entered the right number, and it installed perfectly. I updated it, and found navigation pretty easy and I was excited that I was taking my first step towards eventually having a dedicated music server. Problem is I really am lacking in computer skills, particularly networking (although simply hooking everything together was easy)

Not giving up on this, but am just going to keep trying to learn the ins and outs of how DLNA works first. I think eventually this is going to be the answer, just a bit more difficult than I realized.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2016, 05:44:47 pm »

That list shows how the devices identify themselves to the ALSA drivers on Linux.  The same device will be listed multiple times in the same way that on windows you can address the same device via wasapi, ASIO, kernel streaming, or direct sound.  Most USB DACs identify themselves by name in some way on Linux, but yours hasn't identified itself in a recognizable way. 

My advice would be to select one of the devices with the "hw:" prefix as those represent a direct connection for bit perfect playback.  That narrows it down to three.  My suggestion would be to try hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1, as DEV=0 is normally the integrated on board sound.  If that doesn't work, try the hw: output labelled s2, or the third and final hw: output.
Thanks! I will go with the HW's first once I figure out how to get the RPi to play as a renderer again without constantly skipping tracts every 2 seconds. Maybe I am close, I do hope my DAC will work..

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2016, 07:29:43 pm »

None of the ALSA settings you suggested would work. Did not find one saying hw: output. Still no sound out of either DAC I tried or headphones plugged into the RPi using several audio ALSA settings. I did manage to get the RPi MC to render again, not sure why it quit before. If I could at least get the headphone jack to play music that would be real progress.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2016, 08:09:04 pm »

Try the "front:" output; that's also a hardware output and may point to your DAC.  The headphone jack on the pi may not work if you told the pi to output via HDMI.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:44 pm »

Try the "front:" output; that's also a hardware output and may point to your DAC.  The headphone jack on the pi may not work if you told the pi to output via HDMI.
Will try the front output next chance I get. A point of confusion is that I have been following the id instructions as that was what I saw the link for on this thread for the id on rpi. That seemed to say that by default the audio is hdmi and needs to be set to usb if a DAC is to be used. Is this set in tools>options >audio output? Or is there some other place. I read another link where I would use Internet Explorer to do this. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Audio_Devices  this I have not tried and am wondering if this is the Microsoft Internet Explorer or something with the same name in Linux or MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:02 pm »

Will try the front output next chance I get. A point of confusion is that I have been following the id instructions as that was what I saw the link for on this thread for the id on rpi. That seemed to say that by default the audio is hdmi and needs to be set to usb if a DAC is to be used. Is this set in tools>options >audio output? Or is there some other place. I read another link where I would use Internet Explorer to do this. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Audio_Devices  this I have not tried and am wondering if this is the Microsoft Internet Explorer or something with the same name in Linux or MC.
It is tools->options->audio output for external devices.
Unfortunately the rpi is a bit primitive in as far as the handling of the onboard analog audio vs the hdmi output.
That option is done though a special version of the raspi-config utility which is in the main menu under the rpi specific configuration.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2016, 03:49:08 pm »

I have the Id mSD card running this week in a Raspberry Pi 3 and playing off of my NAS at home. Two issues:  First, I can get only certain DACs so far to work. Basically, if you have a DAC that can function via USB without Windows drivers, you can probably get it to work, but probably only to 24/96 resolution. Hopefully, someone will tell me I'm wrong about that. Second, I do get glitches, cutouts and freeze ups, along with 10-30 second gaps for the Pi3 to respond to JRemote track changes. This even with 16/44.1 files. I'm actively working to figure out why this is happening. In part, it may be because I am streaming data from my NAS-connected wifi router in another part of my home to a media bridge in another part of home into which the Pi3 is ethernet connected. But I don't think that's the whole story. JCR

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »

Check the DLNA Server settings on the machine you're playing from (assuming you're using the Id as a DLNA Renderer.  Set "no conversion".

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »

It is tools->options->audio output for external devices.
Unfortunately the rpi is a bit primitive in as far as the handling of the onboard analog audio vs the hdmi output.
That option is done though a special version of the raspi-config utility which is in the main menu under the rpi specific configuration.
Would this utility also have a USB configuration?
I am going to keep chipping away on this!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »

Would this utility also have a USB configuration?
I am going to keep chipping away on this!
No, that is only for the internal devices.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2016, 07:51:58 pm »

I have the Id mSD card running this week in a Raspberry Pi 3 and playing off of my NAS at home. Two issues:  First, I can get only certain DACs so far to work. Basically, if you have a DAC that can function via USB without Windows drivers, you can probably get it to work, but probably only to 24/96 resolution. Hopefully, someone will tell me I'm wrong about that. Second, I do get glitches, cutouts and freeze ups, along with 10-30 second gaps for the Pi3 to respond to JRemote track changes. This even with 16/44.1 files. I'm actively working to figure out why this is happening. In part, it may be because I am streaming data from my NAS-connected wifi router in another part of my home to a media bridge in another part of home into which the Pi3 is ethernet connected. But I don't think that's the whole story. JCR
Make sure the spectrum analyzer in MC is disabled.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2016, 08:31:07 pm »

So tonight I got the RPi and JRiver working. Sound quality is outstanding and the Schiit Modi Multibit works just fine! Don't know what I did before but I did use settings option 10 "show audio device info" and it showed it was seeing the Modi along with several other things. So setting MC to card S2 worked this time around.
Eventually I want the RPi to be a stand alone but this will do until I get a NAS set up. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will need further hand holding at some point!   :)

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »

With the Raspberry as a renderer I am seeing something that seems odd. The kbps at the top of the screen it says that the kbps is 1411. All my files are either APE or FLAC so I don't see why it should be showing that bitrate. Is this how it is supposed to be? Is there a way to check exactly what is being sent to the renderer is the best quality and not in a MP3 for example.
Another is the output level indicators are nearly maxed out. Why is that?

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:57 pm »

When I am pushing (streaming) music from my Win10 pc to the RPi I have lost the Track Info and instead just have the artwork by itself. This is in the playing now screen. In fact when I right click next to the artwork there is no Track Info options present. Is this a known issue? I can't think of a good reason this info isn't there but will stop fiddling with it if it simply isn't an option in my configuration.
Thanks

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 07:38:07 pm »

Playing in the above configuration Windows MC-22 playing to the RPi3, the next song begins 3 or 4 seconds before the last one ends. Can't figure this one out either. Is there any answer for this?

mrhyfy

• Recent member
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2016, 07:55:56 am »

Hi
I'm having trouble getting my rasp pi 3b MC20  to work properly with a TEAC UD503.
I've tried all the different drivers available,,several times. Some of the drivers will work for one song only.When I switch tracks, it stops working. Any chance of adding more drivers in the future?
The same trouble happens whether using it as a server or renderer.
For what it's worth,, the Teac UD503 required the specific Teac driver to work on my PC. Once installed it works flawlessly.
Many thanks for any advice!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2016, 10:01:06 am »

Playing in the above configuration Windows MC-22 playing to the RPi3, the next song begins 3 or 4 seconds before the last one ends. Can't figure this one out either. Is there any answer for this?
Turn off the spectrum analyzer on the RPi MC.

I suggest the following audio settings on both the server and client MC.
switch tracks: gapless
do not play silence: UNchecked
use gapless for sequential album tracks: checked
use gapless for manual track changes: checked
seek: standard
stop: immediate
pause: immediate

Check your DLNA server configuration. It sounds like you are setting the output format to wave or headless PCM.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »

Thanks Bob your information was spot on and after following your settings suggestions I have the right bit rate showing and there is a nice little silence between each song. I have not yet found the spectrum analyzer but will look more soon.

I am really quite pleased with this setup now. No usb noise from the pc was the main goal and that has been achieved. Later on I will be after a stand alone operation but for now this is fantastic. I have the Raspberry plugged into a UPS so shouldn't have any problems with power outages.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2016, 10:48:09 am »

Thanks Bob your information was spot on and after following your settings suggestions I have the right bit rate showing and there is a nice little silence between each song. I have not yet found the spectrum analyzer but will look more soon.

I am really quite pleased with this setup now. No usb noise from the pc was the main goal and that has been achieved. Later on I will be after a stand alone operation but for now this is fantastic. I have the Raspberry plugged into a UPS so shouldn't have any problems with power outages.
Glad to hear it's working for you.
Right-click on the Media Center title near the top of the window to get the spectrum analyzer control.

mrogers22

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2016, 03:10:17 pm »

I'm currently running ITunes on my personal computer with a hard drive containing 1000s of songs.  I have two network A/V receivers in my house, ITunes automatically connects to these receivers through AirPlay providing me whole house audio from my hard drive.  I control ITunes with my Android phone with ReTune app.

What I want to migrate to is a dedicated music server (JRiver MC) on a RPi3B and a 1TB WD PiDrive.  I want to keep this server continuously powered and be able to control it with Amazon Echo (Alexa) through voice commands (House Band).  I want the server to connect to my receivers via blue tooth or preferably by AirPlay.

A have already purchased the Pi Drive which comes with a 4GB mSD card with BerryBoot.  Will the Id Pi on mSD card provide what I need to control the RPi3B and access the WD Pi Drive or will I still need the BerryBoot image provided by WDLabs?

When I purchase the RPi3B, will I need a DAC or can the music stream to my receivers through Bluetooth and/or AirPlay?
Will the RPi3B and Id or MC stream over Bluetooth and/or Airplay?

I'm ready to purchase the MC software, but if the Id is the better way to go, it sounds like I should wait until the year end to get the MC22 version of Id.  Is this correct?

Am I heading in a good direction or is this going to be difficult?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Mark

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2016, 10:07:28 am »

I'm currently running ITunes on my personal computer with a hard drive containing 1000s of songs.  I have two network A/V receivers in my house, ITunes automatically connects to these receivers through AirPlay providing me whole house audio from my hard drive.  I control ITunes with my Android phone with ReTune app.

What I want to migrate to is a dedicated music server (JRiver MC) on a RPi3B and a 1TB WD PiDrive.  I want to keep this server continuously powered and be able to control it with Amazon Echo (Alexa) through voice commands (House Band).  I want the server to connect to my receivers via blue tooth or preferably by AirPlay.

A have already purchased the Pi Drive which comes with a 4GB mSD card with BerryBoot.  Will the Id Pi on mSD card provide what I need to control the RPi3B and access the WD Pi Drive or will I still need the BerryBoot image provided by WDLabs?

When I purchase the RPi3B, will I need a DAC or can the music stream to my receivers through Bluetooth and/or AirPlay?
Will the RPi3B and Id or MC stream over Bluetooth and/or Airplay?

I'm ready to purchase the MC software, but if the Id is the better way to go, it sounds like I should wait until the year end to get the MC22 version of Id.  Is this correct?

Am I heading in a good direction or is this going to be difficult?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Mark
Hi Mark,
Your scenario isn't really the direction we are headed in.
There might be a way to put all of what you want together on a Pi but what we are trying to do is to make a solid renderer that fits within the DLNA audio system. MC by default has DLNA server as well as controller capabilities which fills part of your needs but we don't support air play or bluetooth on the Id Pi.
The default output devices for MC on the Pi are the built in audio and optical outputs and we support most external USB DAC's as well as playing via DLNA to other DLNA renderers.

mrogers22

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I was originally heading towards Kodi and RPi3, then I head about JRiver MC and House band.  I guess I could hardwire RPi though a DAC to an audio input of my home theater receiver.  That should give me everything that I want except the connectivity to the whole house audio system.  The two receivers are connected through a pair of low level audio cables, so I can probably still play one through the other.

Will the mSD Id do this or should I just buy the Rpi and the JRiver Linux MC?

Thanks, Mark.

adaminsf

• Recent member
Re-imaging mSD and other questions
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »

Hihi,

This is great stuff!  I have a few questions:

1) I *had* this working on my rpi but was a Bad Person(tm) and pulled the plug on it one too many times, which I suspect has corrupted the mSD card (I get the rainbow splash screen, and sometimes a little bit of the boot text, and then nothing) - how can I re-image it?

2) my install has the rpi touchscreen in a case, but there doesn't seem to be any way to install/use the virtual keyboard - is it possible to add this so I can avoid the bother of having to connect an external keyboard?  Or is there some other easy remote access method I haven't found (I'm a pi newbie, so there probably is)?

3) is there any way to have MC display just the album art + track info?  I'd like to have the pi screen show this information while playing.  The cover view is close, but as soon as the current track finishes it goes back to the overview/playing now view.

4) When it was working, when I had it & my main server linked as zones it worked well, except that 10-15 seconds after each song started, playback would hang on both devices, and after ~10 seconds, it would resume and continue playing normally.  This could be due to a dodgy wifi connection where the pi is, but are there any other known reasons this might happen?

Thanks!
     Adam

bob

• Administrator
Re: Re-imaging mSD and other questions
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:17 am »

Hihi,

This is great stuff!  I have a few questions:

1) I *had* this working on my rpi but was a Bad Person(tm) and pulled the plug on it one too many times, which I suspect has corrupted the mSD card (I get the rainbow splash screen, and sometimes a little bit of the boot text, and then nothing) - how can I re-image it?

2) my install has the rpi touchscreen in a case, but there doesn't seem to be any way to install/use the virtual keyboard - is it possible to add this so I can avoid the bother of having to connect an external keyboard?  Or is there some other easy remote access method I haven't found (I'm a pi newbie, so there probably is)?

3) is there any way to have MC display just the album art + track info?  I'd like to have the pi screen show this information while playing.  The cover view is close, but as soon as the current track finishes it goes back to the overview/playing now view.

4) When it was working, when I had it & my main server linked as zones it worked well, except that 10-15 seconds after each song started, playback would hang on both devices, and after ~10 seconds, it would resume and continue playing normally.  This could be due to a dodgy wifi connection where the pi is, but are there any other known reasons this might happen?

Thanks!
     Adam
1) Send me a PM with your Registration code for MC.
2) There isn't currently a way to install extra drivers for your keyboard. However you can access it remotely with VPN or Windows Remote Desktop (the Mac remote desktop client should work too).
3) Check your settings for General->Behavior->Jump on Play
4) If you are using it as a client connected to a library server you might want to set the client option to transcode off (Media Network->Client Options (when connected to a library server).

ptrenner

• Recent member
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2017, 03:51:24 am »

Hello, I am very new to Raspberry. I got your SD card and everything is fine and up and running. I can manage via Browser/JRemote or connect with my RDP client on my Windows notebook. I also tried to connect via SSH but did not succeed as I always got the message my password is wrong. I want to add an USV board to run it battery driven or for getting no problems when i have outages on the power grid. Therefore i have to add some configuration to the pi. How can I manage this?

If I connect via RDP client the resolution of the virtual screen is very low (I guess something about 420x680 pixel) and the GUI isn't almost usable anymore. If I connect a monitor before booting, I don't have this problems. Is there a way to configure the screen resolution?

regards

Peter

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2017, 02:33:10 pm »

Hello, I am very new to Raspberry. I got your SD card and everything is fine and up and running. I can manage via Browser/JRemote or connect with my RDP client on my Windows notebook. I also tried to connect via SSH but did not succeed as I always got the message my password is wrong. I want to add an USV board to run it battery driven or for getting no problems when i have outages on the power grid. Therefore i have to add some configuration to the pi. How can I manage this?

If I connect via RDP client the resolution of the virtual screen is very low (I guess something about 420x680 pixel) and the GUI isn't almost usable anymore. If I connect a monitor before booting, I don't have this problems. Is there a way to configure the screen resolution?

regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
The default for the RDP display is 1920x1080. It should show that on RDP and VNC. Can you check with a VNC client?
The Id Pi isn't designed to be user configurable outside of the settings in the main menu and in MC.

If you need to mess with the config.txt file you could mount the sdcard on a linux computer and modify it that way.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up