INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server/Client issues  (Read 956 times)

kellymc

• nothing more to say...
Media Server/Client issues
« on: August 01, 2003, 10:24:56 am »

I've only recently discovered Media Server, and I have to say it's an awesome feature -- I'm now set up to listen to my home library while I'm at work.

But...

I can't seem to reliably listen to anything encoded higher than about 140 Kbps. I suspect that's because I'm running into the upstream limit of my home DSL connection. But I wonder if it could be remedied by either:

-- allowing me to set a larger buffer length in options--> playback--> output--> advanced. It has a maximum of 5 seconds, although I'm not even sure if this setting has any influence on playing from a remote libarary.

-- a server setting that would reduce the bitrate of files as they are streamed out to the client. I don't even know if this is technically feasible.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for improving my client's performance? Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Media Server/Client issues
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 10:38:54 am »

It does sound like a bandwidth limitation. You can try increasing the buffer size, but it probably won't help much (assuming the DSL line normally only has your connection going).

In the future, you might be able to change the bit rate on the fly (like we do with TiVo), but not at the moment.

j

Flobalob

Re: Media Server/Client issues
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 02:39:39 pm »

If your client is at work and you are trying to serve over the internet, you will not be able to do it on 140kbs.
Your upload speed can not cope with any listenable audio at that speed. No amount of buffering will help.
However if you are in the same building on a wired or wireless 802b ethernet you should have no problems.
You could always upgrade you DSL account to get a higher upload speed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up