INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer music to my iPhone  (Read 5166 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Transfer music to my iPhone
« on: September 21, 2016, 06:36:04 pm »

Ok so I am finally tired of none of my music on my iphone being able to interact with any other music apps on it.  So I would like to get my music transferred over using MC 22.

I looked at "MC Itunes Synchronization" app but as far as I can tell that will only sync playlists with music that Itunes natively supports.  Most of my music is ripped to FLAC.

I wanted to use the "File Export to Itunes & iPHone" option but for some reason it is greyed out?  I have plugged my iPhone into the computer and iTunes sees it.  I have set up the sync to be "Selected folders" and it seems to see my iPhone fine. 

Can someone please tell me why the export to iTunes & iPHone option is greyed out?

Thanks.

Carl.

Edit:  Is this because I am not on the server computer?  I am on my notebook in the same LAN and all paths are UNC and identical.  This is the computer that my iPhone was set up on so could be a pain to get it over to the other.  If this is the problem is there a way to do this without changing which computer my iPhone is associated with?

Thanks.

Edit 2.  Decided to test this on my Multi-Media computer which is my MC Server.  I have not connected the phone but was able to Export a playlist to iTunes.  Am I missing something?  It looks like the "Export to iTunes & iPhone option also does not convert the flac files for use in iTunes?  It only exported the few songs that were in MP3 format?  Please tell me there is a way to tell MC 22 to convert the music to an iTunes compatible format?

?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
Re: Transfer music to my iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:39:51 am »

There used to be guide included with the program on syncing lossless files. Not sure why it isn't there anymore. I attached it to this post for you to review.

I asked about the missing guide in the post for MC iTunes Sync, you might want to check back there for replies before following it in case there is a better way to do this now.

One thing I have found (following that guide) is that my ratings in MC get messed up sometimes if I sync those bi-directionally. I use iTunes match to get music on my phone once it is in iTunes and I suspect the issue is that iTunes match is not getting the ratings updates but I am not sure.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:05 pm »

One thing I have found (following that guide) is that my ratings in MC get messed up sometimes if I sync those bi-directionally. I use iTunes match to get music on my phone once it is in iTunes and I suspect the issue is that iTunes match is not getting the ratings updates but I am not sure.

This has been a problem since the beginning of iTunes. They keep their ratings stored in their database and never in the tags.

You can defeat this with an Apple script to get MC ratings into iTunes.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6458298?start=0&tstart=0

And then read the iTunes tags in MC using MC iTunes synchronizer:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

iTunes shouldn't touch your MC tags, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Regardless, just keep them saved in the MC database.

jctcom

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 03:22:21 pm »

It's really annoying that Apple makes this so difficult.  I have used many different options that can copy my music onto the phone.  But the problem is that with any of those apps the music can only be played and seen by that app.  There are other apps that I would like to use for finding new music and lyrics etc....  but none of them can see the music transferred this way.

I love my iPhone but with Apple is really is a love / hate relationship.  Tried a couple of Android tablets over the years but I just find that the quality of the apps is not as good as with iPhone. 

I know some of what Apple restricts is for security and protection.  But the music thing is just BS to try to force people to purchase from iTunes. 

HEY APPLE  I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE MUSIC OR MOVIES FROM YOU  JUST ON PRINCIPLE ALONE!

I am in the process of trying to sync music with the guide provided.  Will see how that goes.  Would be nice for ratings etc to be synchronized but such as it is I just want some music on there for when I travel outside of Canada.  Outside of that I just use JRemote.

Now if JRemote would get it together and make it so we could download music for offline playing that would be amazing and even though the music would not integrate with the rest of the iPhone apps I would still see that as a big enough advantage not to bother with iTunes at all!

Carl.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:05:13 am »

If I ever decide to go into the iphone world (instead of Android), I will likely look for a non-itunes player.  In 10 minutes of searching, I've found 5 different players for IOS that play FLAC natively.  Presumably you don't need to use itunes to manage your music with these apps, as FLAC is not supported by itunes at all.  So this would seem to remove the restriction of itunes only syncing.

Plus I hear that the new itunes for IOS is really, really awful.  Dedicated users I know have stopped using it entirely because it's so bad.

Brian.

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 11:14:29 am »

Yes and I have used many.  The problem as I mentioned in my first post is that they are all stand alone.  Any music you add via any of these apps cannot be seen by any other apps on the iPhone.  So if I want to use an exploring app for instance that looks at your music already on the iPhone and then makes suggestions or allows me to look up info on albums and / or bands, lyrics etc. etc etc.... none of them can see music to allow the app to work to make recommendations, look up info or lyrics etc.

This is really the one and only major complaint I have about my iPhone.  Not an Apple or Mac person at all.  But for every other use of a Cell phone I have found the iPhone to be better, especially where app quality and reliability are concerned.

Mind you if I could use JRemote to download music that would mean only using a single app for all my music needs and that would make the music not being accessible to the other apps less of a concern.

Carl

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 11:49:06 am »

Ok.  I'm sorry my attempt to help was not useful.  Good luck.

Brian.

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 01:04:04 pm »

No problems.  I appreciate any attempts to try to find a way to do this.

I love my JRiver MC and I love my iPhone.  I just wish they would play nice with each other.

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up