INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA MC client/server issue  (Read 6017 times)

sirkus

• World Citizen
DLNA MC client/server issue
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:07:05 am »

I'm trying to remotely control one MC client through DLNA and my Android devices. I just want to control the MC client without any media conversion.

1. If I set the MC server as DLNA library and renderer, all is ok.

2. Edit: solved. If I set the MC client as DLNA library, my custom view is not available. I see the default view (audio/pics/video/playlists). When I select a file in this view, it says "no streaming url available".

3. If I set the MC server as DLNA library and the MC client as renderer, it converts audio and I don't want it.

How to simply and only, remotely play/stop on the MC client directly, like I was in front of it?

Edit: Summary (logs below #12)
Can't make it work like I want (and should?). There is a problem somewhere with standard DLNA rendering on MC client when MC is in client-server mode. In 3rd party DLNA app (controller): if DLNA library is the MC client it says "no streaming url available"; if DLNA library is the MC server, it converts, hangs or stutters in MC client as DLNA renderer (the problem is the same if you drag&drop files inside MC from MC library to MC DLNA renderer).
In Gizmo it's OK with MC client as server.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA MC client/server issue
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:19:27 am »

The most simple way to do basic remote control is with JRemote, Gizmo, or EOS from a phone or tablet.

If you want to use a real computer, running MC to be a "remote control" then you probably want to do what JRiver calls TRemote:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tremote

All of the check boxes for Server, Client, and Renderer mostly don't matter.  You can have them all on, on both MC instances if you want.  Read the TRemote instructions and try them; should work the way you want I believe.

Good luck.

Brian.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:11:17 am »

Thank you so much.  TRemote is the answer to my configuration problems and I would never have (had not) come across it on my own.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:17:25 pm »

The most simple way to do basic remote control is with JRemote, Gizmo, or EOS from a phone or tablet.

I have tried with Gizmo and it has the exact same problems as described in my 1st post. I don't know JRemote but, it's not an option for me. I have my DLNA app (BubbleUPnP) on Android and I don't want to use an app for each case. Added to that, if it uses the DLNA config it will have the same problem, most probably.

If you want to use a real computer, running MC to be a "remote control" then you probably want to do what JRiver calls TRemote:
Under the client's Playing Now, the remote machine (the server) should show up. You can drag content to it or just click on it. Everything should then play on the server.

This is the case through the distant MC. But, through DLNA, you see only the "original" Playing Now zones (MC_client, below), not the ones mirrored by the distant MC (MC_sever, below). As I said, if I set MC_server (DLNA library) and "MC_server: Player" (DLNA renderer) it works like I want (play/stop, no conversion). But, it plays trough the local "MC_server: Player".

Here is my config:

Code: [Select]
MC_client (want to use it as DLNA renderer without any conversion. Configured as DLNA server in MC):
  -----
  Zones:
  -----
  Audio
  Video

MC_server (Configured as DLNA server in MC)
  -----
  Zones:
  -----
  Player
  MC_client: Audio
  MC_client: Video

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:39:27 pm »

It sounds like the cure for your problem is to turn audio conversion off on the MC Client:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio Conversion > Conversion > Never convert .

Set this on the client machine.  Then restart MC and it should no longer convert.

Brian.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:47:17 pm »

Already tried, no luck :( Still converts.

Maybe I misunderstand something with DLNA. Does the intermediate app (the one where you select library and renderer) do something with the sound? Or, it only says to the renderer to contact the library to get the sound?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:16:21 pm »

Already tried, no luck :( Still converts.

Maybe I misunderstand something with DLNA. Does the intermediate app (the one where you select library and renderer) do something with the sound? Or, it only says to the renderer to contact the library to get the sound?

I have little experience with regular DLNA apps.  I have lots of experience with Gizmo and EOS.  They both work as pure remote controls. You don't individually select servers and renderers.  You select the server you want and it plays to it's configured sound devices.

It's difficult for me to follow what you're doing as there are a lot of parts involved here, including maybe another DLNA software server and perhaps a different DLNA handheld app or something?

I can tell you FOR SURE that client option audio conversion works.  Try it locally, in front of the machine.  That will tell you if the setting is being honored or not.  Try it with Gizmo as the remote control for that machine; it should work just like local.

Brian.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 01:56:34 pm »

Sorry for trouble :( But, thanks for your help :)

In Gizmo, it you tap on the Home bar, you will get a window with "Choose Where To Play" and "Choose a Server To Play From". My settings are "To play" -> MC_client: Audio.  "Play from" -> MC_server. BubbleUPnP has the same kind of settings.

Here is what happens with my files:

Select through remote DLNA app (Gizmo, BubbleUPnp, ...)
MC_server: SACD iso, 2 ch -> MC_client Audio: plays at 2 ch, 48 kHz, 320 kbps
MC_server: SACD iso, multi ch -> MC_client Audio: hangs on "Opening..."
MC_server: FLAC, multi ch 96 kHz -> MC_client Audio: hangs on "Opening..."
MC_server: FLAC, 2 ch 44 kHz -> MC_client Audio: plays at 2 ch, 44 kHz, 320 kbps

Select through MC_server drag&drop on MC_client: Audio (no 3rd party remote apps)
MC_server: SACD iso, 2 ch -> MC_client: plays at 2 ch, 48 kHz, 320 kbps
MC_server: SACD iso, multi ch -> plays (badly) at 2 ch, 48 kHz, 320 kbps
MC_server: FLAC, multi ch 96 kHz -> MC_client: hangs on "Opening..."
MC_server: FLAC, 2 ch 44 kHz -> MC_client Audio: plays at 2 ch, 44 kHz, 320 kbps

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 02:17:39 pm »

In Gizmo, it you tap on the Home bar, you will get a window with "Choose Where To Play" and "Choose a Server To Play From". My settings are "To play" -> MC_client: Audio.  "Play from" -> MC_server. BubbleUPnP has the same kind of settings.

I think I see the problem.  Do NOT choose a server from that "home menu".  Instead, configure your MC client as the server in Gizmo.  Use the Access Key of the Client to set up a Gizmo server definition.  Then you will connect directly to the client and see what it sees.  You will automatically play to it's audio sources also.

I see before that you say you can't see some of your views on the client.  I'm not sure what you mean here.   The thing is, the simplest way is best.  MC to MC client server "just works" and can be made to play without conversion.  Have you done this yet?  Once that's done, then you can do the remote control part with Gizmo.

You might have to export some of your views to the JRemote/Gizmo area of MC.  The Standard View views and the JRemote/Gizmo views are separate.  You can configure them here:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > customize views for JRemote

I see you are also trying to push audio to the MC Client by using the MC instance on the Server with it's desktop app.  In this case, I think you probably need to associate a lossless DLNA renderer profile with the client so that no conversion happens.  I think the Client Options Audio Conversion is only used when you PULL from the Server using the Client's desktop interface.

There really are too many options and too many ways to do this stuff...

Brian.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »

I think I see the problem.  Do NOT choose a server from that "home menu".  Instead, configure your MC client as the server in Gizmo.  Use the Access Key of the Client to set up a Gizmo server definition.  Then you will connect directly to the client and see what it sees.  You will automatically play to it's audio sources also.

You are correct, this works in Gizmo.

You might have to export some of your views to the JRemote/Gizmo area of MC.  The Standard View views and the JRemote/Gizmo views are separate.  You can configure them here:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > customize views for JRemote

Now I understand better, DLNA apps only show the renderers available on the choosen DLNA server, not all renderers available on the network.
The problem is that 3rd party DLNA apps, display the correct DLNA view for MC_server but, not for MC_client (2. in my 1st post). Gizmo always displays the MC_server DLNA view, no matter the settings (MC_server ot MC_client).
I suspect this one to be bugged if, you select the MC_client as DLNA server in 3rd party apps (like you do in Gizmo).

I see you are also trying to push audio to the MC Client by using the MC instance on the Server with it's desktop app.  In this case, I think you probably need to associate a lossless DLNA renderer profile with the client so that no conversion happens.

This one converts and stutters or hangs on "Opening...". How to associate a lossless DLNA renderer with the client?

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 05:03:35 pm »

The problem is that 3rd party DLNA apps, display the correct DLNA view for MC_server but, not for MC_client (2. in my 1st post). Gizmo always displays the MC_server DLNA view, no matter the settings (MC_server ot MC_client).
I suspect this one to be bugged if, you select the MC_client as DLNA server in 3rd party apps (like you do in Gizmo).

It's hard to tell exactly what you mean, but I think you are drawing an incorrect conclusion.  What you probably don't know is that Gizmo/JRemote views are separate from DLNA views.  In fact, DLNA views are defined on a per profile basis!

Go look here to see your DLNA views that are presented to DLNA controllers:
Tools > Options > Media Network > add or configure DLNA servers > (choose profile) > Customize Views

So now we have at least 3 different places to configure views in MC:  Standard View, JRemote Views, and DLNA views (per profile).

How to associate a lossless DLNA renderer with the client?

Define the DLNA server profile the way you want it, in the above options area.  You can add or remove DLNA server profiles there.  Once you have the profile defined and adjusted the way you want it, now you can associate it.  Go to Playing Now in the left tree, and find the DLNA renderer you want to change.  Right click on it and then choose Associate with DLNA Server.  You'll then get a list of your defined DLNA Server Profiles and you can click on the one you want to use.

Did I say there were too many options?  :)

Brian.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 05:40:16 am »

What you probably don't know is that Gizmo/JRemote views are separate from DLNA views.  In fact, DLNA views are defined on a per profile basis!

Go look here to see your DLNA views that are presented to DLNA controllers:
Tools > Options > Media Network > add or configure DLNA servers > (choose profile) > Customize Views

He, he, thanks, I have lamentably missed this one. I dind't thought you can click on it. :)

Define the DLNA server profile the way you want it, in the above options area.  You can add or remove DLNA server profiles there.

If I understand well, this is in one MC instance (MC_client and "Generic DLNA" server)...

Go to Playing Now in the left tree, and find the DLNA renderer you want to change.  Right click on it and then choose Associate with DLNA Server.  You'll then get a list of your defined DLNA Server Profiles and you can click on the one you want to use.

... and this one in another instance (MC_server and DLNA client/renderer of the previous instance)?
It says "Only one server. Used by default."

Can't make it work like I want (and should?). There is a problem somewhere with standard DLNA rendering on MC client when MC is in client-server mode. In 3rd party DLNA app (controller): if DLNA library is the MC client it says "no streaming url available"; if DLNA library is the MC server, it converts, hangs or stutters in MC client as renderer (the problem is the same if you drag&drop files inside MC from MC library to MC DLNA renderer).
In Gizmo it's OK with MC client as server.

Did I say there were too many options?  :)
That's the price for fun :)

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 06:53:53 am »

Some logs if it can help...

On MC server drag&drop on MC client renderer:

0007172: 3796: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Playing: <XMLFN version="1.0"><Item Name="Filename">D:\Music\Classic\Saint-Saens\Sacd\Bergen Philharmonic - Neeme Järvi - Saint-Saëns Cello Concertos and other works\Bergen Philharmonic conducted by Neeme Järvi - Saint-Saëns Cello Concertos and other works.iso</Item>
<Item Name="VolumePlaylistMaxSafeGain">6,9000000000000004</Item><Item Name="PlaylistIndex">0</Item><Item Name="AlbumSequentialWithLastTrack">0</Item>
<Item Name="SampleRate">2822400</Item><Item Name="VolumeReset">1</Item><Item Name="VolumePlaylistMaxSafeGainWithVolumeLeveling">1,4514302253723148</Item>
<Item Name="Channels">5</Item><Item Name="ErrorFreeMode">0</Item><Item Name="VolumePeakLevels">-7,9 dBTP; -8,7 Left; -7,9 Right; -16,7 Center; -18,7 SL; -17,1 SR</Item>
<Item Name="MediaType">Audio</Item><Item Name="DatabaseKey">762695</Item><Item Name="VolumeTrackMaxSafeGain">6,9000000000000004</Item><Item Name="Bitrate"></Item>
<Item Name="Bookmark"></Item><Item Name="BitDepth">1</Item><Item Name="LengthInPCMBlocks">-1</Item><Item Name="DRMProtected"></Item>
<Item Name="VolumeLeveling">5,4485697746276855</Item><Item Name="PostExtensionData">22</Item><Item Name="DSP"></Item><Item Name="FileType">sacd</Item>
<Item Name="UserInterfaceModeChangeEventHandle">000009B4</Item></XMLFN>

On MC client:

0021485: 4604: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Playing: <XMLFN version="1.0"><Item Name="Filename">http://222.111.1.241:52100/Music/F762674.mp3</Item>
<Item Name="PlaylistIndex">0</Item><Item Name="AlbumSequentialWithLastTrack">0</Item><Item Name="SampleRate">2822400</Item><Item Name="VolumeReset">1</Item>
<Item Name="Channels">2</Item><Item Name="ErrorFreeMode">1</Item><Item Name="VolumePeakLevels"></Item><Item Name="MediaType">Audio</Item>
<Item Name="DatabaseKey">763310</Item><Item Name="VolumeTrackMaxSafeGain">-1</Item><Item Name="Bitrate">320</Item><Item Name="Bookmark"></Item>
<Item Name="BitDepth">16</Item><Item Name="LengthInPCMBlocks"></Item><Item Name="VolumeLeveling">-10</Item><Item Name="DSP"></Item>
<Item Name="FileType">mp3</Item><Item Name="UserInterfaceModeChangeEventHandle">00000DC0</Item></XMLFN>

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 03:56:32 pm »

Regarding my instructions for associating a DNLA profile:

Do this on ONE MC instance.  Not both.  Do it on the Server.  The Server sees the client as a renderer.  You are trying to tell the server how to send audio to the renderer by associating the DLNA profile with it.

Brian.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »

It works!  ;D But, I don't know why  ? Deleted, rebooted and recreated all DLNA settings and it started working.

So, indeed it's so simple as activating DLNA servers in all MC instances and choosing in a DLNA app the MC server DLNA as library and the MC client as renderer. Or, in Gizmo the MC client as server.

The thing that maybe helped is to switch on the MC server (configured as DLNA library) in "DLNA Servers" the setting "Specified output format only when necessary" to "Original". First, my idea was to stream in mp3 when away and with no conversion when at home. Betting that it depends on the client. I will create a second DLNA server with mp3 conversion.

[edit]: SACD isos doesn't work in 3rd party DLNA controller app, just says "Opening..." in MC client renderer. But, it works in Gizmo.

Thanks for you help. A lot of options is worth the price when you can do the things like you want.

Priaptor

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 12:58:22 pm »

I am trying to use JRiver in DLNA mode to stream 256 DSD.  I was told by Jesus at Sonore that JRiver doesn't support DSD256 as DLNA.  I have been trying his microRendu using JRiver as my DLNA server and all resolutions work except DSD256 where I get stutters, etc.   JRiver works fine direct via ASIO for my DAC at 256DSD.

Since I just heard that DSD256 with JRiver as DLNA don't want to drive myself crazy trying to get something to work that can't.  From my perch, microRendu works best in DLNA mode using JRiver BUT I want to be able to stream DSD256.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »

The stutter could be from limited bandwidth.

A direct connection might work better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up