INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a bit of help setting up zones, please  (Read 2228 times)

David dP

• Recent member
Need a bit of help setting up zones, please
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:51:40 am »

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any help in getting JRiver to work in the following way :

Ideally, I'd have a 4.0 ASIO zone (that's easy), but I need the 2.0 tracks (CDs, FLACs) to be played to the two pairs of speakers (not found how to do this yet).
And I have a second 2.0 zone in WASAPI (RME card, no able to play all zones in ASIO), which I want to be able to play the same 2.0 tracks than what's playing on the 4.0 zone, simultaneously.

The two zones must also remain able to play independantly.

At the time, all the trials I have made with zone links had a very noticable time offset between the zones.

A very warm thanks in advance for your help, I'm a bit desperate right now...

Cheers,
David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need a bit of help setting up zones, please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:34:22 am »

The wiki has a topic on ZoneSwitch that may help.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:29:37 am »

Ideally, I'd have a 4.0 ASIO zone (that's easy), but I need the 2.0 tracks (CDs, FLACs) to be played to the two pairs of speakers (not found how to do this yet).

Set up your Output format as 4 channels (not source number of channels). Then, JRSS mixing should give you output on all channels when you play stereo.  Give it a quick test and see if it's enough of the right kind of output for you.  If JRSS does not do what you want, then we can make a special "2 channel converted to 4" zone that will duplicate FL to RL and FR to RR or something similar.

And I have a second 2.0 zone in WASAPI (RME card, no able to play all zones in ASIO), which I want to be able to play the same 2.0 tracks than what's playing on the 4.0 zone, simultaneously.

So this zone talks to another sound device with 2 additional speakers?  That will be easy to set up, except for the "play at the same time" part.  Timing between zones on different devices is a little fiddly as you have found below.

At the time, all the trials I have made with zone links had a very noticable time offset between the zones.

Yes, this is true.  I've been told that you can get very close on this using 2 local devices (USB connected devices), but I haven't had much luck with that myself.  Local zones always seem to drift apart slowly, even after using the Zone Link Timing tool to offset them to be in sync.  After a short while, they are no longer in sync.  You can, of course, try this for yourself with the Zone Link Timing tool.  You may have great results, despite my having not so great results.  I don't run MC on a Windows machine so things might be different for you.

The "cure" for this is to use one multi-channel sound card (DAC) to play all of your remote zones.  A single DAC has a single clock that all channels share.  This allows them to stay in sync and not drift.  There are 8 channel DACs with (reportedly) decent quality for under $100.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:50:10 pm »

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up