INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Stream from MC22 on Mac to Onkyo NR905  (Read 4128 times)

cbrow51

Cannot Stream from MC22 on Mac to Onkyo NR905
« on: October 30, 2016, 08:26:07 pm »

I'm new to JRiver Media Centre and have just downloaded MC 22 for the Mac.

I would like to stream/push music from the Mac to my Onkyo NR905 receiver. 

I am able to use my Onkyo's flat file folder GUI to navigate to the instance of JR MC 22 on my home network and play music on the receiver.  I am also able to use the JRiver GUI to push and play music on the Sonos zone players that are also connected to my home network.  What I cannot do though, is push music to the Onkyo NR905 from the JRiver MC 22 GUI interface.

The Onkyo shows up in JR MC22 as a player and I can even navigate to its web page and see its IP address etc.  But when I load tracks and try to play them, JRiver seems to try to play them for several seconds, but I don't get any sound and the GUI then skips down to the next track, then the next and so on.

Reading through and searching the forum, I came across a post that said JRiver MC 14 was working with the Onkyo NR905, and the poster gave some server settings that he used.  I have 'DNLA' and ''Include Session ID' checked, but I can't seem to find the 'Omit Host Portion' or 'Replace Empty Genere' checkbox options.  From the original JR MC 14 posters notes, it seems that the 'Omit Host Portion' being checked was a critical element to getting it to work.

Can anyone help with where/if those options are still available in JR MC 22, or if there are some other options I can try to configure it to work with my Onkyo?

Many thanks in advance for your help! :)

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot Stream from MC22 on Mac to Onkyo NR905
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:17:22 pm »

Some devices work if they are playing from the server, but not if the server is playing to them (pull works, push doesn't.)  I'm not sure that's what this problem is, but you could try an Internet search on your device + "renderer" to see what other people have found.

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:32:34 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:57:03 am »

Perhaps this forum helps out

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=37585
Thanks for posting that.

From that thread:
"Solved. It works fine if i set my onkyo to net, dlna. And i have to make sure i'm not playing any music from a server or webradio.  I can't start it from a standby receiver. I have to put it in net mode and set it to the right menu, and then it works fine."

cbrow51

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:49:25 am »

Jim, Robert, thank you very much for your help, much appreciated!!

I checked out the Synology forum post and tried a number of setting permutations in the Network input source of my Onkyo NR905, but alas to no avail.  Still no sound via pushing, but can pull and play files fine.

I think the Onkyo receiver mentioned in the Synology post, is a later model than mine (which is 2008 vintage), so Onkyo my have fixed the music 'pull' functionality in the later model.

Good thinking about searching for about using the NR-905 as a DLNA renderer and posting in the other forums.  I've just signed up to the Onkyo Users forum in the US, and have seen some recent posts from people using NR-905/906's, so I will post there to see if they have a solution. 

I'll post back here on results from those lines of enquiry! :-)

Many thanks!!

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:32 am »

I think the Onkyo receiver mentioned in the Synology post, is a later model than mine (which is 2008 vintage), so Onkyo my have fixed the music 'pull' functionality in the later model.
Can you update the firmware on it?

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:03:46 am »

I only just saw this , I assume you have fixed it by now

I am a bit differenet , I am Windows MC and a more modern Onkyo TX-RZ800

In my case I see the Onkyo as a player on the network.

I select from the Menu > Player>Zones and then select Onkyo. Then when I select music off it goes without an issue. MC sets a tick in the Player Menu on the Onkyo.

One thought , do you have any Zones defined and do you have any Zone Switches defined.

For example I have 2 main zones defined Audio (Cambridge Audio streamer) and Video (Mede8er) with a switch based on Media Type = Audio or Video.( I rarely stream directly to the amp.)

As part of the Zone Switch definition you can "Stop Playback in Zones", have you accidentally got your Amp set to switch off -- just a thought.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up