INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Physical volume knob to control MC22 volume (Win7/10)  (Read 5768 times)

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
Physical volume knob to control MC22 volume (Win7/10)
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:41:30 am »

Just updating the old mc21 section post here on v22.

If you like the tactile feel of large machined aluminium volume dial.

This I think this will be all you could ever want for a separate aluminium USB volume dial. 

Within arms reach listening to music from MC with headphones.  Or however you roll.

https://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2014/07/uvolume-t-32-usb-volume-media-control.html  (early version)

https://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2014/08/uvolume-t-32-osh-park-pcb-arrival.html   (his own design custom PCB)

https://plus.google.com/+RupertHirst    (all his very impressive projects) 

I've been trying for years with no luck asking Rupert to build and sell me a USB one.  Although he did recently post he's coming back to the project at some soon hopefully, which might be good news for buying one.

I really would like one of these.  But cannot build one myself.   

Finally, some additional images of the newer design with custom PCB.  A very high standard of work.

*You need to be logged in to see the attached images.
Namaste - 'bows slightly with hands pressed together, palms touching'

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Physical volume knob to control MC22 volume (Win7/10)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:53:31 am »

Nice work from Rupert there!

Spike

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »

I do not see any audio specs.  Digital formats?  Stereo only?  USB in/out?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 05:42:16 pm »

If you want something off the shelf, there are options out there.

Here's one:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/powermate

Bound to be others.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 05:54:34 pm »

If you want something off the shelf, there are options out there.

Here's one:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/powermate

Bound to be others.
I didn't ask for off-the-shelf, although it would be preferred.  What I was asking about was anything that would support my application with a physical volume control for HD/multichannel discrete audio.  The Griffin is dated with inadequate support and inadequate specification.  Thanks anyway.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:32:50 pm »

I do not see any audio specs.  Digital formats?  Stereo only?  USB in/out?

At the moment its just a personal project by Rupert Hirst, and am only aware of him making one for a friend of his.

He appears to be a clever guy so am assuming he could design a PCB to more or less any spec. Maybe even use high quality USB/Audio components if required.   But I think its primary task is just as a windows USB volume knob and mute click option.   He also played around with a remote to control the volume.   

The new 2016/17 Powermate is really the only other option. The new version is fine for volume and a mute click or other function, and gives a fairly good large dial tactile feel. Although it is a little light in weight when on the desktop.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »

At the moment its just a personal project by Rupert Hirst, and am only aware of him making one for a friend of his.

He appears to be a clever guy so am assuming he could design a PCB to more or less any spec. Maybe even use high quality USB/Audio components if required.   But I think its primary task is just as a windows USB volume knob and mute click option.   He also played around with a remote to control the volume.   
Thanks.  My motivation is to eliminate the preamp/controller between the server and the power amp while having a physical volume knob rather than just an RC.

The new 2016/17 Powermate is really the only other option. The new version is fine for volume and a mute click or other function, and gives a fairly good large dial tactile feel. Although it is a little light in weight when on the desktop.
Seems to work only on Macs and I don't.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:51 pm »

Thanks.  My motivation is to eliminate the preamp/controller between the server and the power amp while having a physical volume knob rather than just an RC.
Seems to work only on Macs and I don't.

Compatibility check here - according to Griffin, the volume knob does work on PC. How well depends on your OS. Can't vouch personally but I've seen web reports that compatibility mode works well enough for some users.

Do your research and it might prove to be a workable alternative.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:08:14 pm »

It is stated  that the early Griffin doesn't work with Win10 and that the newer one doesn't work (yet) with Windows at all.  What I am hoping is that someone, anyone, has used either with MC/Win and with multichannel files.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 02:20:40 pm »

I didn't ask for off-the-shelf, although it would be preferred.  What I was asking about was anything that would support my application with a physical volume control for HD/multichannel discrete audio.  The Griffin is dated with inadequate support and inadequate specification.  Thanks anyway.

Specifically a device mimicking volume knob or any physical device? I use a bluetooth remote which provides all the needed features. I'm sure there is a luxury model out there somewhere but any BT complaint remote should work. Example: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/remote-and-handset-brh10/
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:02:24 pm »

Thanks.  I have an Apple remote that I can and, sometimes, do use but it is not a large physical knob.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:14 pm »

I'm still keen to have one of these made for me.  Will post here if and when I finally get one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up