INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Tagging Error" error message when moving files/changing filename (path)  (Read 4275 times)

pcibavicius

• Recent member

Hello.....

I have bumped up against my computer drives capacity and need to move my files to an outboard drive.  Followed all the instructions to do that, i.e. selecting all the files and then using the "Rename, move & copy files" command, as well as "library tools>find & replace".  I keep getting this darn "tagging error" error message and can't for the life of me figure out how to resolve this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.........

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Tagging Error" error message when moving files/changing filename (path)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:37:37 am »

I have bumped up against my computer drives capacity and need to move my files to an outboard drive.  Followed all the instructions to do that, i.e. selecting all the files and then using the "Rename, move & copy files" command,

That usually works correctly.

as well as "library tools>find & replace".

...but this is not the right tool.  You were probably meaning to use the Find & Replace Template, which is part of the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.  It's the last section of RM&C near the bottom.

I keep getting this darn "tagging error" error message and can't for the life of me figure out how to resolve this.

I'm not totally sure why you're getting this error.  I would guess that the drive you are trying to move to does not have write permission for you.  Have you tried manually copying some of your files to the new drive?

When you post again, it would be helpful to see a screen shot that shows your RM&C dialog so we can see what you are trying to do and maybe help you adjust the parameters.

Brian.

pcibavicius

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:15 pm »

Hello Brian and thank you very much for your response............

So, first, yes I not only tried to copy some files but actually copied all my files to the external hard drive.   Then, using the "find and replace" template from the "Rename, Move, and Copy" tool I tried to change the file path to replace the drive portion with the external drive. 

I have a attached a screenshot of how I attempted to do this.  BTW I tried it with/without the slash upfront as well and I keep getting the same results......

Thanks again for your help!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:28:56 am »

If you've already moved (or copied) the files over to the new drive, then you don't need to use MC to actually do the moves for you.  The RENAME option at the very top of the RM&C dialog moves or renames files.  Instead, what you want is to update MC to point to a new location.  So, choose the UPDATE Database option instead.

That will tell MC to change the file pointer for all of the selected files.  That should work.

Brian.

pcibavicius

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 03:03:30 pm »

ok thanks Brian, the tool function is "move or rename" and so I thought "rename" would do the trick.  Thanks again!

LDF

• Recent member

I have a similar question. My laptop is out of space and I want to have my music library on an external hard drive. I started my library with PonoMusicWorld and in December 2016 made a backup and installed it into JRiver Media Center.  So my library is currently in the "Main Library" within Media Center (v 22.0.77).  My most current set of music files is on my desktop computer, managed with Media Center. I copied those files onto my 2TB external drive that I plan to use with my laptop. What steps should I go thru to avoid creating a problem for my laptop?  The metadata and tags are all correct on my desktop library and the version of Media Center is the same on both machines. Should I do a media center backup on the desktop and then bring that over to my laptop?  The desktop has plenty of space so the music there is not on an external drive. On the laptop I currently have 140GB of FLAC files and only 40GB free so I don't have space to install a 2nd library. Would appreciate some instructions.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Our wiki has a topic called Moving Files .

LDF

• Recent member

Thanks jimH but I really don't want MC to "move" the actual files.  Logically I want to tell MC to not use the files on the laptop anymore but instead to use the files on the external drive.  I don't want to lose the metadata or the tags so I thought somehow I also need a MC backup from the desktop.  So the wiki description does not fit my specific situation.  Can you provide any more info?

JimH

• Administrator

It still is relevant.

LDF

• Recent member

OK, let me simplify my question. I have a music library on my desktop HD that contains 4419 files and is 136 GB in size. How do I make a copy of that library and all associated files (music, meta, tags, etc)  to put on my laptop in an externally mounted HD?  Desktop & laptop have the same version of JRiver Media Center.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator

The best way would have been to let MC move the files for you, but in your case it's been done.

Hopefully your structure on your new drive is identical and all you will need to do in MC is replace C: with Z: (or similar).  The article tells you how to do that.

If not, then you may need to start over.

You can back up a library on one machine and restore it on another, including settings, but it may not point to the right file locations.

blgentry

OK, let me simplify my question. I have a music library on my desktop HD that contains 4419 files and is 136 GB in size. How do I make a copy of that library and all associated files (music, meta, tags, etc)  to put on my laptop in an externally mounted HD?

This may not be exact, but it's a good outline of the steps necessary:

1.  Make a Library backup of your current MC Library.  This exports all of the metadata to a zip file.  It does NOTHING with the music files themselves.  File > Library > Backup Library .
2.  Copy your music folder (hopefully it's just one parent folder) to your external hard drive.  It's important to not change the directory structure here.  Just do a 1 for 1 copy.
3.  Copy the Library Backup file over to the other computer (laptop), and attach the external drive.
4.  Import your library backup into a fresh library on the new computer in MC.  File > Library > Restore Library.  You'll need to point the restore process to the Library Backup zip file that you copied over in step #3 above.
5.  Now you should see all of your songs, but they will all have red minus signs (-) next to them because MC can't find them in their original paths from your source computer.
6.  Fix those paths with the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.  This requires a bit of explanation:

If, for example, your files on the source computer were in:  /Volumes/MacHD/Users/LDF/Music/  ...and they are now on your new computer at:  /Volumes/ExtDrive/Music/  ... then you need to tell MC to change the first part of the file path for all files it it's library.  You'll want to replace /Volumes/MacHD/Users/LDF/ with /Volumes/ExtDrive/ .

The Rename, Move, and Copy files tool can do this in what is called Update Only mode.  In this mode it does not try to move or copy files.  It only changes their location inside MC's database.  You'll want to use another mode of the RM&C tool in combination with Update mode.  It's called the Find & Replace template.  That template is at the bottom of the tool.  It allows you to substitute part of the file name by doing a Find and Replace.  Here's the wiki entry on RM&C:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Be sure to read the section on the Find & Replace template.  There are some examples there that should help.

I hope this gets you started in the right direction.   Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up