INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not all documentaries show up: Looking for a rule  (Read 5416 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Not all documentaries show up: Looking for a rule
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:06:20 pm »

Hi,

We watch a lot of documentaries, unfortunately they do not all show up under "Documentaries" because not all of them belong to a Series and this is how they are organised (see screenshot). I am looking for rule that I might add so that documentaries that have no entry under "Series" have their "Name" used instead. Is this at all possible?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Not all documentaries show up: Looking for a rule
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 03:02:21 pm »

Not a direct answer to your question, but maybe helpful.

I use the genre field to separate my documentaries.
I then have a rule in my movie and TV show views that genre is not documentary.
I have 2 views where genre is documentary. One for TV shows and one for Movies.
Works great.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »

Thanks, I considered something similar but it is a bit of a pain to have to distinguish between two different types of documentaries. After I posted the question I realised I could probably design a copy rule which would automatically copy the name into the series field. It is not ideal because every time I add a documentary film or video that does not belong to a series I would have to run this rule, but it is a start.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:00:29 pm »

Although the Library Tools are very powerful I could not find any tool that would allow me to move info from one tag to another. Elementary, I would have thought ...

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 07:51:50 pm »

Thanks, I considered something similar but it is a bit of a pain to have to distinguish between two different types of documentaries
One of the benefits of doing so is that you can scrape metadata for them. I'm pretty sure that's why I split them years ago.

I could not find any tool that would allow me to move info from one tag to another
An example:
If you want to copy the "Name" field into the "Album" field. Type =[Name] into the Album field in the tag editor (lower left of MC)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:33 pm »

First, you can't move the [Name] tag to the [Series] tag, because the [Name] tag must always have a value in MC. Always. The way MC works if the available EPG data only includes the [Series] field is that it puts the series name into the [Name] tag.

You can however easily copy the [Name] tag to the [Series] tag. Just highlight the programs that you want to change, Rename (edit, F2) the [Series] tag and put in the expression "=[Name]" without quotes, and the data will be copied over.

However, that is by no means the best way to handle Documentaries. I would suggest that you search the forum for "Documentary" and "Documentaries" to find some solutions, as it has been discussed before, and there are some hints on how to manipulate metadata (tags) in those discussions.

For example, to add "Documentary" to the [Genre] tag, while retaining all other Genre tags in the list, put the formula "=[Genre], Documentary" into the [Genre] tag and hit enter.

Now your screenshot showed the "Customise View" dialogue in Standard View, but I assume that you want your documentaries to show up in Theatre View grouped as you want. Yes?

Create and Edit Theatre View views under Options>Theatre View>Items to show. You can create a view under Standard View, and then add that view to Theatre View if you want though.

You could set the [Media Sub Type] tag for all documentaries to "Educational", then create a view that only shows that [Media Sub Type], but generally if there is "Documentary" metadata in your EPG, it will be in the [Genre] tag. Plus if you change the [Media Sub Type] tag then the "Get Movie & TV Info" function won't work.

The easiest way might be to copy the "Shows" view in Standard View (right click, drag "Shows" to "Video" and drop, choose "Copy") to create a new view, rename it "Documentaries", then in "Options>Theatre View>Items to show" click Add and select "Library Item From Standard View", and pick your "Documentaries" view, then edit it to include both "TV Shows" and "Movies", but only those that have a [Genre] of "Documentary" as per the first image.

Then make sure it has the "Series" Library Item the same as the "Shows" view, with the Series and Season detail below. Just copy the detail from the Shows view if in doubt. i.e. The expressions used for the details. See the second image as an example.

That should give you a view that shows Documentary Series and individual programs next to each other, with drill down to Season and Episode for the series, much like the original Shows view. Enough to get you thinking. If in doubt, search the forum, and if you don't find what you need, ask back here.

Have fun.

PS: I have been beaten on the copying tag contents issue, but I'll leave that up there anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:18:03 am »

Roderick, I am much obliged for this very thorough answer. Using the =Name seems like a very simple solution but I will explore the other suggestions as well. Theater View is unfortunately not yet an option in the Mac version afaik, so that is out.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:55:46 am »

Sorry, I didn't notice you posted in the Mac forum.

The good news is that Theatre View for Linux and OSX are not far away, so you will be able to use that solution soon.

In the mean time it is still better to create a custom view in Standard View for Documentaries under the Video group, rather than copying the [Name] tag into the [Series] tag, which can get messy.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:32:22 am »

Good to hear that TheaterView is on the way. I'll play around with your suggestions tonight. If I get stuck I might have to bother you again though. Thanks again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 05:16:22 pm »

Oh, look!

22.0.39 (11/14/2016)

1. NEW: Theater View is now supported on Mac!  Select it from the View menu.  Being a new feature, there may be some issues so please report any problems you run into.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107932.0.html

I said it wasn't far away!  :D

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »

Great, perhaps now is the time to upgrade ... but what about my stuttering video problem?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »

Stuttering video is a can of worms. Very hard to resolve without being at the PC/Mac with the problem. Best to leave that issue in the thread you have for it already.

But an upgrade to MC22 on the Mac may help, as I believe there have been video improvements on the Mac version. I don't use a Mac with MC, except to have a little look every now and then, so I'm not expert in that environment. Upgrade to MC22 and see if the problem goes away. If not, post in the MC22 for Mac forum, where you should get more responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up