INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving the user interface?  (Read 1008 times)

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Improving the user interface?
« on: July 27, 2003, 08:04:23 am »

I'd like to raise a couple of ideas for MC and see what people think.  I don't think any of this is new, but it does gather together a couple of different thoughts.

MC is very feature-rich, and is becoming more so.  This is why a lot of us love it.  There are downsides:

• the more features, the more likely that some will be hard to find.  Eg Tools > More Tools
  • advanced features sometimes encroach on basic features, i.e. make MC more difficult to use for basic tasks
  • as a consequence, learning curve for new (and not so new) users is steep
  • not everyone uses all of the features.  For example, I use dedicated DVD software (www.theatertek.com), TV and PVR software (www.snapstream.com) etc.
  • for those features that people do use, they use them at different times and in different ways.  JRiver has already recognised this with Hairstyle - a "view" on the library that's dedicated to playback.
  • partly as a result of this, and partly because people's tastes differ,various people would like various changes to the user interface (I'm thinking of the tree v pane debate, the properties window and some others).

Different conclusions are possible from this:
  • (1) It's not as big a problem as I imply, and people (including me) just need to get used to MC;

• (2) You can set up the view schemes to do everything you need already.  eg have a specific view scheme for tagging recently imported music files, where all / most of the columns are visible; have a different view scheme for tagging image files, where the panes are visible so you can QuickTag etc

• (3) There are improvements that could be made to the view schemes to make different interfaces possible;

eg
    Allow view schemes to control the size of the tree, properties, pane and file list windows:
    eg if I create a view for recently imported music, then if I click on it:
    - tree window minimises, property window appears, pane minimises
    If I create view for recently imported images, then
    - tree and property windows both minimise, pane opens to a preset size, quick tag is switched on
    etc
    I'm not sure this is an answer for new users, though.  It would be possible to have predefined suggestions for view schemes, but the new user might well get confused when, eg, the tree view "disappears" (minimises).

• (4) We need defined layouts (beginner, advanced; ripping, tagging, playing) to expose the functionality we want to use at any given time, and to hide the functionality we don't need.  This would mean that right click menus could also be rationalised.

I'm undecided (that's why I'm asking everyone else!), but I think that even if the view schemes can be improved, adding defined layouts would still make MC easier to use.

nila

Re: Improving the user interface?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 03:55:18 pm »

Nice ideas ;)

Basically you just mean extent the 'sticky' nature of whats already there to further include whats displaying on the properties window (great idea) and to also include the position of the panes window, tree etc (cool too thou properties window one is the best!)

Add in to this the location toolbar being memorised per view scheme and mmmmmm - RAW POWER - hopefully in a soft and gentle way :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up