INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 constant playback errors  (Read 4380 times)

scotlynn

• Recent member
MC22 constant playback errors
« on: November 24, 2016, 11:15:41 am »

Help! Trying to set up a new music server using MC22 and having continual playback error issues. I have MC newly installed on a brand new Minix Neo Z83-4 mini PC running Windows 10. It's wired via USB to a new Teac UD-301 DSD DAC, which goes to my system preamp. The latest TEAC ASIO driver is installed and set as my default audio output in the sound settings. In the MC22 settings I have the TEAC ASIO USB Driver selected as my Audio Device and Bitstreaming is set to Yes (DSD). all other settings are default. My music files are all flac, but are a mx of 16 bit, 24, bit, DSD, etc. I have

On a fresh start of my computer every works wonderfully well. But I inevitable (several times per day) will get a playback error, often if I don't play anything for a bit and then come back to play a new file. The message I get is a Playback Problem Window that states, in part: Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format XXXX. Does matter which format I try to play - same error message on all of them. I have attached an error log. If I restart my computer, then I can play music again until the error repeats, then I need to restart again.

I thought there was a hardware issue with the DAC, so had them send me a new one - same problem. I can also play other files through my DAC (ie: YouTube) even when getting the error messages in MC. I am not very computer savvy, but seems to me that MC is somehow not communicating properly with my DAC. Not sure if I have the settings correct or I'm missing something, but the fact that it works great on a restart of my computer doesn't make sense to me.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: MC22 constant playback errors
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:04:25 pm »

Try using MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to force everything to a single format (not DSD or other High Res).  16/44.1, for example.  Some DAC's have trouble switching formats gracefully.

scotlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »

Thank you for the quick response. But won't that mean that I'm not getting High Rez or DSD playback?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:37:40 pm »

Try using MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to force everything to a single format (not DSD or other High Res).  16/44.1, for example.  Some DAC's have trouble switching formats gracefully.
Thank you for the quick response. But won't that mean that I'm not getting High Rez or DSD playback?

You could also force the output to a single high rez or DSD output format and avoid making the DAC switch formats.  Many hi-rez fans do that by default.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »

You could also force the output to a single high rez or DSD output format and avoid making the DAC switch formats.  Many hi-rez fans do that by default.
Try a lower resolution format first and then try kr4's suggestion.

scotlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:32 pm »

So I've been playing around with this all at your suggestions, reading a bunch of other posts and trying to educate myself (and then away for work for much of the past month) so apologies for the time lag, but nothing seem to works well. I'm beginning to think its this fanless mini pc I bought and am using thinking it would make a great, quiet dedicated server. Its a Minix Neo Z83-4 running Intel's Cherry Trail Quad-Core processor and 4Gb of RAM. I ran the benchmark tool and it came up a pitiful JRMark of 875! I find that when I get the Playback Problem message, it usually resolves if I restart the computer. Then I might get a few hours or sometime most of a day being able to play files in native mode. And then the error kicks in again.

Wonder if I should build a more powerful fanless PC....

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 03:24:49 am »

hi, any progress using a minix system for running mc ? Did you get it to work well ? The newer minix systems seem more powerfull..

reg koen
Pages: [1]   Go Up