INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] MC created some Folders that I can't delete  (Read 4442 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
[SOLVED] MC created some Folders that I can't delete
« on: November 26, 2016, 12:36:49 pm »

I was experimenting with saving my TV Recordings/subscriptions directly to the "series" folder using the "Apply these tags (optional)' tool in the TV series' subscription rules.
I got the command wrong and MC created a new folder rather than moving my recording to an existing folder. I fixed that mistake. But I can't delete the folders MC created.

I thought it might be a permissions issue (maybe I'm not the owner of the folder since MC created it), but even using the Windows command "takeown /f "path to folder" /R /D Y, I still can't delete the folders. The Windows error message says the folder does not exist. I think maybe the issue is the "space" in the folder name.

Anyways I tried everything I can think of to delete these folders. Perhaos I should just leave them as is since they are doing no harm.

This is a screen shot of the folders, their properties, and security tab. This is Win10-Pro x64. I am the Admininster. The computer is only used for HTPC business.

Spike1000

Re: MC created some Folders that I can't delete
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 01:31:05 pm »

I know this sounds like a stock answer, but honestly, have you tried a reboot?

Spike

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:51:43 pm »

Good idea. But that's not the answer.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »

Could be related to this.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,96949.msg668997.html#msg668997

Is there a space at the end of the folder's name that won't delete?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 05:32:06 pm »

I have the same problem with a few Directories that end with "...".

In my case it is a Windows problem. Windows interprets that last dot as the extension I think. But if you try to delete it Windows can't find it to delete. I've deleted all content out of those directories, but still haven't found a way to delete the actual directories.

A Google finds other people with the problem, but none of the suggested solutions to delete or rename then delete them work.

Please report if you find a solution CountryBumkin.

Okay, I followed the link above and found Vincent Kars' post. It works! I thought I had tried that, but obviously not.

So;

Start CMD.exe, using the right click "Run as Administrator" method, just to be sure.
CD to the parent directory => In my case 'CD "E:\Recorded TV"' or "CD E:\Record*" will also work.
DIR/X for 8.3 file name => Which shows the subdirectory for an episode of Limitless as "LIMITL~3"
RMDIR 8.3 fiename/s => So "RMDIR LIMITL~3" removes the directory!

Finally I have cleaned up those annoying directories, and will remember that for the future. MC creates those undeletable directories every time an episode of a TV program includes three dots at the end, when using the JTV file format. MC will play the contents fine, but deleting or moving the episode doesn't remove the directory.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 05:37:26 pm »

Don't wildcards work well in Windows shell?  Like:

rmdir TVShow*Show*name*

That should take care of any unknown characters at the positions with the * .

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 05:59:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure I tried using wildcards Brian. Windows couldn't find the directory in that case.

The method I posted above works because it uses the alternate name for the directory, which doesn't include the problem "...". (I have edited my post above.)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 06:34:13 am »

Brilliant RoderickGI and Syndrome...!
That was the solution.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: [SOLVED] MC created some Folders that I can't delete
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 03:29:02 am »

For those experiencing the problem of not being able to delete a folder because it contains spaces or periods at the end you can use 7zip to rename it. Just browse to the folder in 7zip and remove the characters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up