INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving JRiver to new computer  (Read 9321 times)

audiogeek5

• Recent member
Moving JRiver to new computer
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

Hi group,
I just bought a new desktop and want to move JRiver to it. I'm currently running MC21; have bought a new license for MC22, which I plan to install on my new PC.

What's the easiest way to transfer my library to my new computer?

Appreciate your help,
Thanks,
J

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving JRiver to new computer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:51:56 pm »

File > Library > Back Up Library
Save and move this file to the new computer.

In the New Computer, Open MC22 and File > Library > Restore Library
point it to the backup file

If you have a large library and don't want MC to rebuild the thumbnails, save the thumbnail folder in
%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Thumbnails

and move it to your new computer
%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Thumbnails

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:32:44 pm »

If you have a large library and don't want MC to rebuild the thumbnails, save the thumbnail folder in

One should mention that this is your DATA BASE and not actually the music, video, tv or what have you files. These need to be moved separately (if on a inside the pc hdd) to make it a bit easier you need to match the drive paths of the old pc and then you can install the back up zip from MC...note not to unzip this backup but to RESTORE IT as 221bBS states....good luck
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:56 pm »

Those directions were very clear.  But what if I need to restore a library backup (made on my desktop computer) to a laptop but there is not enough space on the internal drive of the laptop so I have to put the music files on an external drive on the laptop?  Can I do the backup on my desktop from the Main Library and then restore into a different library name on the laptop, such as ExtLib?  Then do I use Tools->Library Tools->Rename, move and Copy and select "Update database to point to new location..." and select the folder on the external drive where all the music files are? Will everything match up then?  (There is already a Main Library on the new computer with some of the music files but not all that will be on the external drive.) If not, please tell me the best way to accomplish this.  Thanks in advance.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:43:36 am »

Tools->Library Tools->Rename, move and Copy and select "Update database to point to new location..." and select the folder on the external drive where all the music files are?

LDF, Hi:

I believe you are correct. I have also used 'Find & Replace' (the last option on the left side of the 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' dialog window) in the past to accomplish an update to a new HD. A few years ago, I migrated from the C: drive to an external HD, the D: drive (see image for the sample file's current drive location). An external HD is much easier to manage. The external HD is actually an internal HD type (WD RED 4TB) which employs a docking station (sled) for easy access. I employ 3 HDs for backup generation purposes (the latest backup is removed and taken off site).

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

Final

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 06:11:33 am »

I dont find any thumbnails in the thumbnailfolder, however I did find pictures in the coverart folder ant tried copying them into the new coverart folder on PC nr 2. Did not work. JRiver only found a small number of covers of my 1500 albums.

Would really appreciate a thorough step by step tutorial on migrating from one PC to another. Having over many years done numerous changes to metadata, including organising music into correct genre, finding correct cover art on the internet etc. I do not want to start over.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 10:01:03 am »

Under settings for File Locations, you will find the setting for the cover art location.

There is a wiki topic on Moving Files .

wizardofoz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:42 pm »

Is it possible to move from one os to another...i.e. from windows to Mac with backup and import library...how is the drive mapping done for the Mac as now I use m p v for music photo video so will this work in the database import? Files are stored on a NAS but are mainly music.

I too would be moving from 22 to 24 ultimately, on multi platform lic ...so would I use 22 on the new Mac initially or 23? I have done the upgrade to 24 purchase already
Pages: [1]   Go Up