INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Sync from Server to MC22  (Read 2828 times)

farmersagent

How to Sync from Server to MC22
« on: December 11, 2016, 12:00:06 pm »

Please forgive me for asking a newbie question, but I AM a newbie and not super technical savvy.  I have searched the forum for issues relating to library sync and can't find an answer plain enough that I can understand.

I have a WD My Book Live 3TB HD that serves as network storage connected to an Asus router that I access wirelessly with a Windows 10 PC.  All of my music, mostly mp3 files, is located in a folder on the WD MBL HD.

I downloaded MC22 to my W10 PC and through the initial library setup import function I pointed MC to the folder on the WD hard drive that contains the music.  It imported the files correctly and they became known as the "Main Library" in MC.  After looking through the Album/Artist list in MC I noticed that there were a few tracks that had duplicates and a few tracks that had no title or artist, etc. 

I went to the music folder on the WD HD and deleted the duplicate tracks and filled in the missing properties on the files.  I have since restarted the computer and reopened MC.  The files on the hard drive are updated just the way that I changed them but MC still shows the duplicate tracks and tracks with no properties.

My question is, does MC update itself from the original file location in an automatic fashion, in a manual fashion, or does it get updates from the storage device at all?  I do see under the main library tools the "Sync Library" option, but that seems like it will send changes from MC to the HD and not the other way around.

Does MC create a second copy of the file somewhere on the pc that I make changes to when I change the file from MC?  Or does MC change the file directly on the hard drive when I make changes through MC like adding cover art?

Thanks for the help in understanding how MC works and figuring out how to update my MC to reflect changes to my HD!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to Sync from Server to MC22
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 01:23:48 pm »

MC doesn't make a copy of your files.

You could delete the duplicates in MC, too.

farmersagent

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »

I did delete the duplicates in MC also but I was hoping for a better solution.

So the answer is no, MC doesn't sync itself from the original storage location?

If I delete it in MC and then sync library will it delete it from my network storage device?

In Album view, if I right click and get Library Tools, is there a function there that will sync or change the properties in both MC and my HD storage device?

dobigstuff

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 02:33:49 pm »

I also have duplicate songs for my entire Library.  I have 2 issues:  1. With over 6500 songs, it is tough to delete all the duplicates.  2.  When I delete the duplicates, my Marantz NA 7004 Music Server then can't play the songs.  When both copies are there, the Marantz will play both.  (Very annoying when trying to listen to a whole Album)  I am new to JRiver and still learning.  Is this a file association issue or Library of songs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:04:31 pm »

^
Just to avoid confusion, the Marantz is not a "server"; it is a "renderer".
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

123Sunshine

• Recent member
No Sync from Server
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 02:50:04 am »

Another sync issue here. MC22 is running on my Win10 laptop. I use JRemote on an iPad to direct the music from a NAS to the stereo. Works well. But when I delete a number on JRemote it does not disappear in MC22. Not even hours later. And I have Authentication on. On JRemote, in the view that you get after tapping in the top right corner, the number I delete disappears from the screen, but it keeps playing. Returning to the other view after tapping on the cross in the top left corner, the number is still there.

Adding to a playlist via JRemote does work and reflects instantly in MC22. Deleting a number from a playlist however does not.

What can be done?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: No Sync from Server
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:25:45 am »

when I delete a number on JRemote it does not disappear in MC22. Not even hours later

Just for the avoidance of doubt, when you say "delete a number", do you mean "remove a track from a playlist" ??

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

123Sunshine

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 07:03:49 am »

What is not working is deleting a number or track altogether, removing it from the database entirely. When I listen to an album I can delete a number right?
After your question I tried the same with a playlist and the same happens as described in the other message. There is nothing deleted.
As said I can however add a track to a playlist that also shows up in MC22 on the laptop. So there is communication.
Pages: [1]   Go Up