INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo to Chromecast Audio  (Read 5079 times)

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Gizmo to Chromecast Audio
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:08:38 pm »

I use Smartlists and enjoy the ability to play those to my Sonos. I'm trying to replicate the ability using the Chromecast Audio and I cannot get it to work reliably.

If I don't select the Cast icon and Google Cast  first I find that the audio plays on my Nexus 6P and refuses to relinquish the audio even when I can hear it on my Google Cast device. They aren't in sync and will can actually be playing different titles. If I stop the Google Cast device I can still hear audio playing from my phone and there are no controls. The only way to get the audio to stop is to terminate the Gizmo app.

If I do select the Cast icon and Google Cast device first I can get a title to play on the Google Cast device (with no audio coming from my phone) but it will only play that one song. No matter what I try it will not continue on to the next song in the playlist.

I've read similar reports from others.

Given that Gizmo hasn't been updated since 2015 I'm wondering it is no longer compatible with the Google Cast/Home app.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo to Chromecast Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:47:30 pm »

There's a good tutorial on computeraudiophile.com for setting up JRiver Media Center to play through Chromecast Audio. You install BubbleUPnP server on your MC computer and set up the CCA device as a DLNA zone.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Gizmo to Chromecast Audio - An Exercise In Frustration
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:55:00 pm »

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out.

Wouldn't BubbleUPnP be duplicating what MC's Server is supposed to do?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 04:00:23 pm »

MC doesn't support Chromecast.  Only Gizmo does.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:01:33 pm »

MC doesn't support Chromecast.  Only Gizmo does.

I understand that but Gizmo does not work reliably - at least for me. I found LocalCast works extremely well. Unfortunately, it would not do me any good outside of my network. {sigh}

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out.

Wouldn't BubbleUPnP be duplicating what MC's Server is supposed to do?

CCA is not a DLNA device. BubbleUPnP provides a way to make the CCA appear as a DLNA renderer to MC.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:49:01 pm »

CCA is not a DLNA device. BubbleUPnP provides a way to make the CCA appear as a DLNA renderer to MC.

OK, showing my ignorance here...

Are you saying a service like BubbleUPnP is required to make JRiver's Gizmo work with the Chromecast? I thought that JRiver's DLNA server capabilities were sufficient for use with Gizmo.

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 06:06:54 pm »

OK, showing my ignorance here...

Are you saying a service like BubbleUPnP is required to make JRiver's Gizmo work with the Chromecast? I thought that JRiver's DLNA server capabilities were sufficient for use with Gizmo.

No, I'm saying BubbleUPnP is required to make Chromecast behave like a DLNA device. Download BubbleUPnP, install it on your MC server computer, start it, go to the Media Renderers tab, select the CCA device, and check the DLNA box. It then becomes visible to MC like any other DLNA device.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 06:15:34 pm »

I'm not following you. I'm not trying to get MC to look at the Chromecast as a DLNA device. I am trying to get Gizmo to cast to the CCA properly. Gizmo properly sees MC's DLNA server but fails to play properly and reliably to the CCA.

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 06:30:05 pm »

Once MC sees CCA as a DLNA device you can change the output zone in Gizmo to the CCA instead of casting directly from Gizmo. It's more versatile, and the CCA can play 96/24 source material, whereas I believe everything gets transcoded to mp3 when you play through Gizmo. I could be wrong about that, as I seldom play through Gizmo anymore.

If you're casting from Gizmo your phone needs to have a good WiFi connection all the time. If you use Gizmo to play to the CCA via DLNA you can walk out of the WiFi zone (say, into the garage to throw out the garbage) and the music will continue to play through the CCA system.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 08:34:29 pm »

I'm with you now! Excellent information. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up