INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PMW to timeout  (Read 25432 times)

l8mdl

• Recent member
PMW to timeout
« on: December 12, 2016, 08:40:54 am »

It appears that JRiver's Pono Music World will timeout at the end of this month and be replaced with a "Pono Vault" now being discussed on the Pono website. This should be interesting! No word of the store reopening...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PMW to timeout
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24:09 am »

We will offer a discount to Pono owners on JRiver Media Center by the end of the month.  It will be updated to better support the Pono Player.

EDIT (copied from below)

Here's a coupon that will save you $12.50:

MYLITTLEPONY

It is good through January 7, 2017.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:40:26 am »

Sounds good but will it download Pono sales and updates (that is if they ever open up again!)...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 01:38:45 pm »

I think it will do what the old one did, within the limits of what is possible to do.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:08:07 pm »

I'll take that as a no since you'll have no business agreement with Pono that I've heard of. I'd  love to be proved wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »

We do have a business agreement.

JimH

• Administrator

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:06 am »

Neil also mentions in the interview that he is still hoping to open the store and sell downloads. If you listen to the interview here ( http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/neil-young-on-his-new-album-trump-pono-dakota-pipeline-w455237 ) he starts talking about Pono at about 18:45 minutes. Interesting stuff, big dreams. Of course, he's always been a dreamer...

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 11:36:52 am »

I am happy to hear that JRiver will offer a discount to current PONO Music users.  Someone posted on the PONO community so you will no doubt be getting a lot of referrals like me. IN the meanwhile I will download the trial version.... Thanks again.

LarryW

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 02:43:24 am »

We will offer a discount to Pono owners on JRiver Media Center by the end of the month.  It will be updated to better support the Pono Player.
Hello JimH, been using your software for a number of versions and like it very much. So Pono Music World was a natural fit for me and I like it and a number of things it will do that MC seems unable to do. I have looked at the initial beta of Pono Vault and feel it will be a much simpler interface and not at all what I would like so I would be a candidate for your continuance of PMW. I do use MC 22 and if the functions the PMW offered were present in MC, that would be good, especially not having what is sort of duplicate programs.

So, just a vote of encouragement that you folks continue to offer a version of PMW for Pono Player customers.

Thank You
LarryW.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 05:29:03 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  We hope to have a build of MC22 that supports the Pono Player some time this week.  You will find a link in this thread when it's available.  If you have a license for MC22, you can just download and install it. 

jpmahala

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:32:47 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  We hope to have a build of MC22 that supports the Pono Player some time this week.  You will find a link in this thread when it's available.  If you have a license for MC22, you can just download and install it.

I use PMW on Windows, but have a license for MC22 on Linux.  Will that be available to me?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 07:59:15 am »

I'll be watching for the the new release. The changes intrigue me as I've been using the full version of MC (both V21 and V22) with the Pono Player for the past year. Other than downloading music from the PMS (which is closed) and updating the Pono Firmware (which has not been updated for a long time) the full versions of MC already support the Pono Player.

Randy

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 08:52:02 pm »

I am no computer wizard and it took me a while to get the hang of Pono Music World. Now I am comfortable with it and want to keep it. I have tried to do several things on The Vault and nothing worked. I was going to rip a CD and there was no information about the CD. None!! I need to know how will I be able to sign up for PMW and how much will it cost?? Will there be a link I can use on here? Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first post here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »

PMW is a variation or derivative of JRiver Media Center.  Media Center is in version 22 now.  The next release will fully support the Pono Player.  You could download and install the current version of it now.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 09:49:53 pm »

I am no computer wizzard and it took me a while to get the hang of Pono Music World. Now I am comfortable with it and want to keep it. I have tried to do several things on The Vault and nothing worked. I was going to rip a CD and there was no information about the CD. None!! I need to know how will I be able to sign up for PMW and how much will it cost?? Will there be a link I can use on here? Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first post here.

As you know PMW expires at the end of December. I'd suggest you do a backup of the PMW Library. You can then download the current version of MC22. When you install it it will be in trial mode. From MC22 you can restore the PMW library and you will be up and running. This should hold you over until after the holidays when the next version of MC is released.

To do the PMW library backup go to: File->Library->Backup Library->
When you do the restore from MC22 go to: File-> Library->Restore Library->

If you need help, post it here or on the Pono forum and we'll try to help you out.

Butters

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 01:55:53 am »

Hi Jim,

I am very pleased with my Windows version of PMW, and would like to continue using this JRiver product.
I have searched for the discount, unsuccessfully.

How do I avail myself of the discount for a Windows version of Media Center?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 06:52:34 am »

Just wait a few days.  You could install now and use the 30 day trial period.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 01:05:53 pm »

Here's a coupon that will save you $12.50:

MYLITTLEPONY

It is good through January 7, 2017.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 01:28:49 pm »

Majic_Randy & JimH,  I did what you said Majic and backed up my library. (I hope:)) What is MC22, how much does it cost and how do I download it??? If the coupon is for $12.50 how much is PMW?? Sounds expensive!!! My wife and I live on a fixed income. I would hate to be forced to use "The Vault". Do I need to buy MC22 to use PMW? I would guess I need to get this done before the 31st? Like I said no computer wiz here but I am trying and learning. I want to Thank you all for the great help!! Bob

ckrspnl44

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 01:36:58 pm »

I'm glad you are upgrading JRiver Media Center to accomodate the Pono.  I've not heard good things about Pono Music Vault and am very satisfied with my current Pono Music World software so my current plans are to use the JRiver Media Center.  I understand you will announce here when the new version is ready, hopefully before PMW timesout :)

Jerry

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 02:51:19 pm »

Majic_Randy & JimH,  I did what you said Majic and backed up my library. (I hope:)) What is MC22, how much does it cost and how do I download it??? If the coupon is for $12.50 how much is PMW?? Sounds expensive!!! My wife and I live on a fixed income. I would hate to be forced to use "The Vault". Do I need to buy MC22 to use PMW? I would guess I need to get this done before the 31st? Like I said no computer wiz here but I am trying and learning. I want to Thank you all for the great help!! Bob
Hi Bob,

PMW (Pono Music World) is a cut down version of JRiver Media Center. This is a product developed by JRiver for Pono Music. Pono Music decided to develop their own software which is PMV (Pono Music Vault) to replace PMW. While Pono Music released their Beta Version of PMV this week, the PMW licenses they acquired from JRiver are still active until December 31, 2016. After that PMW can not be used. This is a Pono Music decision and matter.

JRiver Media Center is the full featured product, the superset if you will, that PMW was developed from. The current version of JRiver Media Center is 22 (MC22). Some PMW users may find that PMV does not meet their needs. As PMW is no longer available from Pono Music, JRiver decided to offer a discount for those users who prefer license MC22 from them.

Hopefully this provides some background on the current situation.

Note: I'm a long term satisfied user of JRiver MC, and I'm a owner and user of the Pono Player, but I work for neither company.

Randy

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 03:01:55 pm »

I'm glad you are upgrading JRiver Media Center to accomodate the Pono.  I've not heard good things about Pono Music Vault and am very satisfied with my current Pono Music World software so my current plans are to use the JRiver Media Center.  I understand you will announce here when the new version is ready, hopefully before PMW timesout :)

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Pono Music decided to make this change just before the holidays, as such I don't expect that JRiver will be able to push out new versions before the PMW licenses expire. I would look for them early in the new year.

The good news is that MC22 already works pretty well with the Pono Player. In fact I've been using the full versions of MC for the past year. The only time I had to use PMW was for downloading music from the store and updating the Pono Player firmware. Neither of these is critical at the moment as the Pono Music Store is closed and there have not been recent updates to the Pono Player Firmware.

I'd suggest moving forward with MC22 now and take the new versions in the new year. That way you can backup your PMW library and restore it into MC22 - therefore no disruption. If you want to hold off with the purchase, you could start with the 30 day trial.

Randy

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 08:56:51 am »

PMV, as issued in the beta version, is a major disaster. Slow, buggy, non-intuitive, etc. Back to the drawing boards, folks. I'll be purchasing JRiver software from now on, even though I really don't need all of the bells and whistles. PMV is useless at this time.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 09:05:22 am »

Question for JRiver: If I purchase the Windows version of MC22, for $49.98 less the $12.50 discount, will it be upgradeable to the new version for Pono? Or do I need a "Master License"? Thanks!

BGLeduc

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 10:33:55 am »

I'll be watching for the the new release. The changes intrigue me as I've been using the full version of MC (both V21 and V22) with the Pono Player for the past year. Other than downloading music from the PMS (which is closed) and updating the Pono Firmware (which has not been updated for a long time) the full versions of MC already support the Pono Player.

Randy

New guy on the JR forum...a refugee from Pono. :-) I have used PMW since I purchased my Pono about 18 months ago, and found it easy to use once over the learning curve. As for PMV Beta....well, they have some work to do. They do correctly describe it as Beta, but I am not sure I would be quite that generous.

I just loaded MC 22, and it imported my PMW saved library without issue, and it does find my Pono Player. The only thing Pono related that I am not sure is working is that there is a "Pono" option in the column selections, and it does not appear to work to show the content that was purchased from Pono. It looks like MC22 does everything else that I have used it for under its PMW skin.

At present, I think PMV will remain un-used until the Pono Store reopens or if there is a FW update, and I will be taking advantage of the discount coupon to purchase a license for MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 11:02:51 am »

Question for JRiver: If I purchase the Windows version of MC22, for $49.98 less the $12.50 discount, will it be upgradeable to the new version for Pono? Or do I need a "Master License"? Thanks!
The Pono functionality is being added to the standard JRiver Media Center, so you need the MC22 Windows License only.  When a newer version of MC22 is available, you can just download and install it.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 02:32:24 pm »

The Master License is a multi platform license. I have both a PC and a Mac, so I use the Master License. If all you use is Windows you do not need a Master License.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »

Thanks for the reply regarding which  version to buy. Another question :  Does JRiver require paid upgrades when new versions are released and/or can you just use the old version forever if your needs are met?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 04:05:34 pm »

Thanks for the reply regarding which  version to buy. Another question :  Does JRiver require paid upgrades when new versions are released and/or can you just use the old version forever if your needs are met?

When you buy MC22 you can use it forever at no extra charge. Periodic upgrades are also provided while this version is under active development at no charge.

When a new major version comes out (e.g. MC22->MC23), if you want that new version, you need to purchase a license. There is typically and upgrade price, so you do not need to pay the full price. The new major releases come out about once a year.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 06:51:21 pm »

JimH & Magic Randy, I want to purchase MC22  ASAP. How do I buy it? Do I have to transfer my files from PMW to MC22? How do you do that if I need to? Is the $50.00 a one time fee? Can I use the $12.50 code? I have over 15,000 files in my library. Is this going to be a problem? Is it possible to just keep using PMW after I pay wothout transferring files? So many questions, so little time. Thanks in advance.....Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 07:17:04 pm »

Backup your library in PMW.

Download and install JRiver Media Center.

Restore your backup.  File > Library ...

Purchase from the Help Menu in the program and use the coupon when you do.

Minor updates are free.  Major upgrades are available at a discount, but the version you purchase will always work.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

kepstein

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2016, 08:12:38 am »

As we are in a holiday period, and I am away from my computer, will I be able to do this after PMW times out on 12/31/16?  If not, couldn't JRiver extend the timeout for a week or two to gives those away on vacation a chance to transition successfully.

Regards,
Ken

Backup your library in PMW.

Download and install JRiver Media Center.

Restore your backup.  File > Library ...

Purchase from the Help Menu in the program and use the coupon when you do.

Minor updates are free.  Major upgrades are available at a discount, but the version you purchase will always work.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2016, 08:45:19 am »

The coupon is good until January 7th.

PMW makes automatic backups.

We can't extend the timeout.  Pono has known about it for about six months and could have handled things more smoothly. 

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2016, 08:52:58 am »

As we are in a holiday period, and I am away from my computer, will I be able to do this after PMW times out on 12/31/16?  If not, couldn't JRiver extend the timeout for a week or two to gives those away on vacation a chance to transition successfully.

Regards,
Ken

Hi Ken,

As Jim says, the good news is that PMW, and the full versions of MC, automatically backup your library. You can use one of these to restore your MC Library with the PMW library.

When you return you can download and install MC22. After you do that you can restore your library from a PMW backup. The restore is the same as described: File->Library->Restore Library->Browse->SELECT PMW BACKUP

As your PMW will be expired, you will not be able to go into the app to check your options on where PMW is storing the backups. You can search for them instead. Do a wildcard search for "PM Library Backup". On my Mac they are in a directory: Macintosh HD, Users, randy, Documents, JRiver, PonoMusic World 20, Library Backups

Randy

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2016, 05:52:29 pm »

JimH & Magic_Randy, I purchade MC and installed it. I think I restored my library but not sure. Is there any way I can tell if it was done correctly?? When I clicked on Browse a window opened and I had to choose a back up. I picked the newest one?? Iam I OK so far? The box in the middle of the screen said something like "restore library" I clicked OK and is that it?? Merry Christmas to all!! Bob

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2016, 06:10:10 pm »

In the FAQ's it asks "How can I tell If I Am Licensed?" It replys go to program,,,,What program?? If they are taling about PMW there is no thing under Help?? How do I tell if everything went smoothly??
Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »

If you see your music in MC, you're probably good to go.  Just try browsing around and playing.

The license information is in JRiver Media Center, under Help > Registration Info.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 07:25:14 pm »

Hello JimH, First off Merry Christmas and than you for all the help. I went to JRiver Media center and don't see "Help" anywhere. That was the fist time I have been on the home page. I saw somthing there about playing videos. Can I do that with the softwear I downloaded? As you know Windows 10 does not come with a video player amd of cours no Blu-ray player. If I can play them that would be awsome. Can you point me in the right diraction for "help"?
Very Greatful,,,,,Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 11:11:48 pm »

Did you install JRiver Media Center?  Please see the "Getting started" link in my signature.

MC includes video.  PMW does not.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 11:54:18 pm »

Hi JimH, I am pretty sure I downloaded MC. I paid about 50 bucks minus the coupon. I am sorry to ask but how can I tell?
Thanks,
Bob

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2016, 12:19:12 am »

JimH, Sorry to be such a pain but do I have to download Red October Standard and how do I find it and download it??
Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2016, 02:08:13 am »

It is a setting for video.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2016, 02:09:38 am »

You must download and install.  Please read Getting Started.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2016, 02:36:21 am »

JimH, I am sorry but I read Getting Started and I can't find a download any where. I looked under Video and Red October. I am really sorry to bother you but I have been looking and reading for hours. Can you give me a hint to get started?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2016, 07:45:01 am »

The word download near the top of Getting Started is a link.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »

JimH, Thank you Jim I belive I got it. All my music downloaded into the new player. Will this be the new place for Pono player when PMW times out? I don't see Pono player under Devices though? Thank you for being so patient!! I guess I should have checked Blu-Ray before I did the download. Can I add that?
Thanks,
Bob

jefpar72

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2016, 07:37:26 am »

The coupon is good until January 7th.

Jim,

I can't thank you enough for this. I tried Pono's new app and was appalled by it.

I downloaded JRiver and restored a backup of my PMW library, and the transition has been absolutely seamless to my great relief. I will absolutely be using the coupon to buy a license.

Thanks again and happy holidays,
- J.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2016, 07:53:21 am »

MYLITTLEPONY

Jim, you so missed a good opportunity to go with MYLITTLEPONO there. :P
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

JohnT

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2016, 07:00:14 pm »

Sorry for the delay.  The new builds of Media Center 22 posted today (22.0.54) have improved support for the Pono player.  You can download the latest build for Windows at the top of this thread and the latest build for Mac at the top of this thread.

After downloading you can purchase the player for 25% off using the "MYLITTLEPONY" coupon.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up